iPhone iPad APPs....etc.

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Ears
Common Wiggler

Post by Ears » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:35 pm

TXBDan wrote:Any recommendations for quality effects on iphone/ipad? I'm looking to stick my phone in my mixer's Aux send for reverb, delay, etc.

Anything that can hang with the fancy hardware stuff?
Flux:fx is my favorite. Tho not sure if it beats any of my dedicated studio hw.

TXBDan
Common Wiggler

Post by TXBDan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks, i'll check it out. I just got the Audio Damage EOS2 and Dubstation 2 for reverb and delay. They sound good at first listen but i'm still trying to figure this stuff out.

Since i now have these two standalone apps, what's the best way to chain them together? I plan to run them in my mixer's Aux loop and use an FocusRite iTrack as the interface to the iPad.

Is this "chaining" and input/output leveling what AudioBus and AUM do? I simply want my iPad to act as an effects processor with multiple effects apps active.

Thanks

Update: I got Audiobus 3 and it seems to be doing the trick. This is pretty sweet. Sounds great.
Last edited by TXBDan on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:29 am

TXBDan wrote: Is this "chaining" and input/output leveling what AudioBus and AUM do?

Update: I got Audiobus 3 and it seems to be doing the trick. This is pretty sweet. Sounds great.
Yes exactly. In fact I would have recommended AUM (plus AudioShare) because I think it's a lot more powerful and very easy to use.

Here's an example setup video. Until about 1:40 it's about MIDI control of iOS synths and FX but after 1:40 I show external audio processing too:
[video][/video]
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

TXBDan
Common Wiggler

Post by TXBDan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Wow, awesome. I returned Audiobus 3 and got AUM. I'll check it out tonight!

Ears
Common Wiggler

Patterning 2 is out!

Post by Ears » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:32 pm

My all time fave iPad music app just came out with a new version with some great new features. Until I can afford a Buchla 252e I'm loving using this app with my modular rig...

https://www.olympianoiseco.com/blog/patterning-2-now/

ngarjuna
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ngarjuna » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:55 pm

The new Patterning seems insanely good. I haven’t spent a ton of time with it in the 24 hours it’s been released but they’ve added some killer features to what was already my favorite drum sequencer ever.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:53 am

the ratcheting decay is unique in Patterning 2. Never seen something like this on any sequencer.

slovo
Care Bear of Fury

Post by slovo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:27 pm

as far as effects go, I can’t recommend AnalogKit enough. It requires more effort of course to patch up fx, but it can produce some WICKED. sounds. The other stuff available for iOS is also pretty good - about where their PC equivalents were ~five years ago - no zippering, plenty of great ideas, but minimal or no oversampling.
(ignatius) "it's like Point Break meets Schindler's List"
AIRSEA - Creepy noises to protest air pollution

FraMauro
Common Wiggler

Post by FraMauro » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:49 am

Phil999 wrote:the ratcheting decay is unique in Patterning 2. Never seen something like this on any sequencer.
I believe Zaquencer does this.

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:45 am

Awesome thread. Just been starting to use my older iPad to process some euro wanderings. Had come across borderlands, but never gelled with it. Picked up Samplr not too long ago, which was definitely a "Wow" moment for realizing how the touch interface could be used/played.

Picked up the free version of Quantiloop, which was awesome, just wish there was a way to play with the loop length after recording.

Everest doesn't seem to monitor the input and acts a bit buggy when I try to set the loop region before letting it play back fully.

Soundscaper is nuts. Definitely a great exploration canvas and seems fairly live-ish friendly.

Cheers for the AUM recommendation - what a great interface for tying everything together. Grabbed the Audio Damage package (might as well if I was going for the reverb and delay separately), ran a 2-voice euro patch out to mono inputs for individual processing and then to a send for Borderlands processing and back out to monitor.

Just awesome. Now I'm trying to figure out how to go from there and record everything. I had used Master Record to capture some sketches previously. Will have to look into general file management and using Audio Share.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:40 pm

FraMauro wrote:
Phil999 wrote:the ratcheting decay is unique in Patterning 2. Never seen something like this on any sequencer.
I believe Zaquencer does this.
thank you FraMauro, didn't know about that. I have Zaquencer but never really found the time to use it, reverted the BCR2000 to its original firmware to use it as a normal MIDI controller. One more reason to switch to Zaquencer again. Thanks.

fewture
Common Wiggler

Post by fewture » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:54 pm

While I love some iOS apps (Borderlands, Space Craft and iM1), the new Patterning 2 makes me want to actually use my ipad in the studio. It feels great to use and I'm getting fantastic loops and patterns out of it. I usually don't like using the iPad for production for some reason.

Also the drum kit swapping and online drum kit collection is really cool. Haven't used its sequencer midi out yet but keen to explore that.

TXBDan
Common Wiggler

Post by TXBDan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:31 pm

I really need to get MIDI in/out of my Ipad. Not being able to clock sync apps with my real hardware is dumb.

I'm currently using the USB audio interface (2x2) built into my Soundcraft mixer so i'm thinking i only need a basic/cheap iOS compatible MIDI interface. Is the IK iRig MIDI 2 recommended?

I'm sort of debating if i should just get an Audio+MIDI interface if its not that much more... slippery slope.

TXBDan
Common Wiggler

Post by TXBDan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:03 pm

Can anyone recommend a tuner AU plugin or even standalone iOS app that can use an audio interface as input? I simply want a tuner with octave and note for tuning/calibrating synths and controllers. The Garageband tuner doesn't show octave. I tried two different free general guitar tuner apps, but neither would recognize the input from an external interface. I have Cubasis 2, but it doesn't seem to include a tuner.

Thanks

ngarjuna
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ngarjuna » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 pm

TXBDan wrote:Can anyone recommend a tuner AU plugin or even standalone iOS app that can use an audio interface as input? I simply want a tuner with octave and note for tuning/calibrating synths and controllers. The Garageband tuner doesn't show octave. I tried two different free general guitar tuner apps, but neither would recognize the input from an external interface. I have Cubasis 2, but it doesn't seem to include a tuner.

Thanks
I use the Peterson app. Has worked well for me. I like that it usually gets me good readings just through the mic on my phone without even having to cable anything up; I know it works through the line in, I’m unsure about through an interface (I think so but not positive). Don’t think it has AU yet.

dudeman
Common Wiggler

Post by dudeman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:46 pm

Borderlands is the only app I've wanted to play with for more than half an hour. Patterning 2 sounds v interesting though. Will investigate!

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:09 am

Borderlands looks great, it reminded me of Electro Plankton :lol:

Wish tendo would do a port of that, great for kids.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Ears
Common Wiggler

Post by Ears » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:42 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:Borderlands looks great, it reminded me of Electro Plankton :lol:

Wish tendo would do a port of that, great for kids.
OMG I miss Elektro Plankton!

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:34 pm

Maybe a silly question...

Does anyone know of an app that converts midi data to cv data for use with the es-8 module? If that’s even possible in software, I figured maybe Audulus might have the ability, albeit maybe a bit more ground level than I’m hoping.

Cheers.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:54 am

ModStep is really cool, if a bit quirky. Very powerful though!

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 pm

I'm intrigued by the idea of turning my iPad into an effects processor, but I need to upgrade my interface to something with audio in. Thinking I want something with audio and midi that can also serve as a simple USB interface for my desktop (I'm a strictly OOTB otherwise).

What's the current state of the iConnectivity line as far as the present iOS version goes? I've seen various mixed comments about the AUDIO4+, which on paper sounds like just what I need, at a price I can handle.

TXBDan
Common Wiggler

Post by TXBDan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:32 pm

If you get the camera connection kit, i think pretty much any USB interface will work. It's the same Apple Core Audio on iOS and MacOS.

For example, i use my Soundcraft mixer's interface on my iPad just fine. It's not officially iOS compatible or a anything, but it works perfectly.

eclectics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eclectics » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:32 am

I use Aum with the ipad for this; either with the iConnect Audio 4+, or (more portable, less channels) the zoom u-24.

Aum is brilliant as a control center for this purpose, integrating ipad audio, effects and midi with external gear.

hlprmnky
Common Wiggler

Post by hlprmnky » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Seconding what eclectics has said - I have a Zoom U-44 in between my modular rack and my monitors, and whenever I want to record something I just plug in my iPad (via the new-version camera connection kit) and fire up an AUM saved session called "Wigglin'!". I have a fair amount of iOS music software as well, but so far I haven't built or bought anything to let me sync clock between Eurorack and MIDI worlds, so I am using the iPad only for recording and maybe some effects processing.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:24 pm

This ought to be an easy one but I can't find it. :bang:

I just want an iPad app which will emulate a standard MIDI keyboard. I don't want to get a physical keyboard just to test or program a MIDI device. I already have the iPad and a gadget for going between lightning and MIDI plugs.

I need something that's not doesn't send anything more than what a physical keyboard would send. Keys, modulation wheel some form of expression, velocity just to test things.

Thanks

Return to “Music Software”