iPhone iPad APPs....etc.

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Lemur is good for such tasks - it even has a factory template for keyboard and wheels. But it's 25 bucks I guess. Indeed a simple keyboard emulation app is not very common. Developers try to make special controller apps for tablets, often lacking the modwheel (GeoShred, Seline, TC-Data, Clawtar, Orphion, etc.). But maybe there is one that does what you need.

Some synth apps with built-in keyboard can output MIDI, like the ones from Moog.

RedLab
Common Wiggler

Post by RedLab » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:57 pm

BananaPlug wrote:This ought to be an easy one but I can't find it. :bang:

I just want an iPad app which will emulate a standard MIDI keyboard. I don't want to get a physical keyboard just to test or program a MIDI device. I already have the iPad and a gadget for going between lightning and MIDI plugs.

I need something that's not doesn't send anything more than what a physical keyboard would send. Keys, modulation wheel some form of expression, velocity just to test things.

Thanks
Just saw this: KB-1

Dunno if it helps

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:39 pm

good tip, this looks very useful. It even has MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression).

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:03 pm

Thanks. I installed KB-1 today and that works with my old Yamaha TX81Z but the thing I'm really trying to make work (Anushri) is not responding.
The Anushri is new to me and I'm probably doing something wrong.
:sadbanana:

TXBDan
Common Wiggler

Post by TXBDan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:13 am

KB-1 looks good, i've been looking for a simple controller app so i'll check it out.

Also Cubasis is half off now. You can do "real" stuff with it.

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:28 pm

Getting back into using iPad again, finally got Cubasis 2 and NOISE to have a nice sketch pad with possibility to finish tracks on it too.

Also discovered SpaceCraft which looks cool for an easy way to do some granular sampling.

Any using any of these apps lately?

echologist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by echologist » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:45 am

Loving this app: Youtube

:sb:

Just picked up a new Ipad pro 11”... this arrives today:

[/img]Image

kf6gpe
Common Wiggler

Post by kf6gpe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:00 pm

Wow. I could use one of those. I was just googling “USB C pocket hub” this morning. Who makes it? Where did you find it?

echologist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by echologist » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:08 pm

ebay

kf6gpe wrote:Wow. I could use one of those. I was just googling “USB C pocket hub” this morning. Who makes it? Where did you find it?

kf6gpe
Common Wiggler

Post by kf6gpe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:51 pm

Sweet! Thanks. I wonder if it does USB stuff as well as just USB-C charging, or if it’s charging only. For $2.00 I’ll find out in about a month. :)

echologist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by echologist » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:29 pm

My thoughts exactly :guinness:
kf6gpe wrote:Sweet! Thanks. I wonder if it does USB stuff as well as just USB-C charging, or if it’s charging only. For $2.00 I’ll find out in about a month. :)

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:12 am

Getting an iPad (2018) next week.

Which MIDI should i get for it? I'm thinking of getting the Korg plugKEY. It has MIDI In + 2x 1/4” phone jacks + it allows me to charge the ipad while using the MIDI (this is a must). Maybe there's something better?

s.l.o.w
Common Wiggler

Post by s.l.o.w » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:50 pm

I recently purchased an iPad Pro 11", and just picked up this USB hub for it:

Stone by Henge Docks

It does power delivery, so charges my iPad, recognizes my MOTU audio interfaces (have tried it with a MicroBook IIc and an UltraLite AVB), and can handle multiple USB MIDI devices simultaneously -- right now I've got it hooked up to a Korg NanoKey Studio, McMillen SoftStep and Expert Sleepers FH-2. AUM is the audio and midi hub for everything, and so far, so good, but it's early days. My hope is that I'll eventually be able to leave the laptop out of my setup and migrate to the iPad. An added bonus with this hub, it's wedge-shaped with a slim bar of grippy rubber on the top, so I can rest my iPad on top of it, it's at an angle, and makes the space a little tidier.

I also tried a couple other USB C hubs, with less success:

Plugable USB C Mini Laptop Docking Station with 85W Charging Compatible with Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C:

- This one wouldn't let the iPad "see" the USB audio interface; I could only access the hub's audio, so not useful for my purposes. I sent it back.

HooToo USB C Adapter with 100W Type C Power Delivery:

- This one dropped connections to my connected devices every once in a while, so not stable enough for music purposes, but it's small and relatively cheap so I've kept it as a utility device.

Maybe this info helps anyone trying to do something with their iPad Pros. None of these hubs are listed as iOS-compatible, but it's encouraging to see that some do work with the iPad's USB C port.

Birth_Chord

Post by Birth_Chord » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:54 pm

I think I'm going to sell my Octatrack and pickup an iPad...

I have to overdub so often for recordings when using the OT I don't find much use for it as my styles don't really push experimental limits of sampling, I'm more interested in bread and butter patches sounding amazing, which is why I got certain analog synths in the first place!

Plus the no individual outs is just not gelling with DAW recording, it's definitely a live performance tool which I don't do much of right now...

iPad seems like it can be very versatile.

Can anyone explain how to record stereo audio output from the iPad? Does it need its own separate interface in addition to the interface I already have?

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:11 pm

s.l.o.w wrote: - This one wouldn't let the iPad "see" the USB audio interface; I could only access the hub's audio, so not useful for my purposes.
when you attach the hub first, and then the interface, it should be recognised. The iPad can only have one audio card. The internal, or the headphone out of the hub, or the USB interface. So it's just a matter of connecting things in the right sequence (interface last). From what I've heard. I purchased a USB C hub without headphone out to prevent that problem.
Birth_Chord wrote: Can anyone explain how to record stereo audio output from the iPad? Does it need its own separate interface in addition to the interface I already have?
the interface would probably the best solution. Or use the Studiomux app, described here:
viewtopic.php?t=218218&highlight=&sid=c ... de10ecb4e5

eclectics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eclectics » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:44 am

Apps like Aum allow you to record as many of the tracks as you want, including the stereo out.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:33 am

If you like swiping and tapping on glass then good for you. I'd really rather do just about anything else. Even using my laptop's trackpad makes me question my decisions in life.

rustedimac
Common Wiggler

Post by rustedimac » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:31 pm

The entire Korg iOS catalog is on 50% sale. go get it!
kwontifiedsound.com

alexander92
Common Wiggler

Post by alexander92 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:46 pm

I just purchased Koala for my iphone, it's a sampler app and fun tp use. Also got audioshare along with it.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:08 pm

Eventide just came out with Blackhole, Tap Delay, and a couple of other algos for iOS. Has anyone purchased one yet?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:21 pm

alexander92 wrote:I just purchased Koala for my iphone, it's a sampler app and fun tp use. Also got audioshare along with it.
Great tip! I just purchased it - super fun.

alexander92
Common Wiggler

Post by alexander92 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:33 am

dubonaire wrote:
alexander92 wrote:I just purchased Koala for my iphone, it's a sampler app and fun tp use. Also got audioshare along with it.
Great tip! I just purchased it - super fun.
Nice to hear that you like it as wel. I found this video which shows what this 3 dollar app is capable of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDAITnTuOgs&t=361s

Also this App seem to send out pitch to my monotribe when I go inside in that that menu where you can play that keyboad

alexander92
Common Wiggler

Post by alexander92 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:44 am

I was wondering where I can find more good apps, are there websites which do reviews/discussion specifically for iphone. I have found a few on google, but I think I haven't came across one which isn't sponsored.

TBH I found a iphone 7 sufficient enough at least for my purposes. Never owned a Ipad, but I'm happy with just a iphone.

I think in the near future developers will shift their focus on iphones, as Iphones become better and better with proccessing power and people always carry one with them.

kf6gpe
Common Wiggler

Post by kf6gpe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 pm

alexander92 wrote:I was wondering where I can find more good apps, are there websites which do reviews/discussion specifically for iphone. I have found a few on google, but I think I haven't came across one which isn't sponsored.
Discchord Is my go-to for iOS music news. The editor pays for his hosting and things through affiliate links, which can be a bit tedious to scroll through, and some of his posts are a little off-topic, but it’s the best resource I’ve found.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:55 pm

does anyone have a portable (small interface or adapter that dosnt require extra power) solution that you have personally TESTED that will let you record line level stereo audio into an iphone 11 or iphone 11 pro, and also compatible with the stock camera app???

searching a lot, it doesn't seem to yet exist.

Return to “Music Software”