I've got Audiomulch: suggestion , advice ?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Kernelkunt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kernelkunt » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:10 am

ignatius wrote:
blaerg wrote:
Kernelkunt wrote:Im looking forward to see what materialises. To be honest, I feared AM had been more or less abandoned, which would be a damn shame, considering its the only ITB solution I've felt comfortable with.
Really? I've been using this since before 1.0 and it's always been a snail's pace between updates but I've never felt like it was abandoned. I love this software very much and can really tell that Ross puts a lot into it. Slow and steady wins the race! :cheesy:
same here. also, Ross' personal twitter feed hints at audiomulch news from time to time

https://twitter.com/RossBencina

it's always been slow. there was a small flurry several years ago but other than that it's just ross chipping away at it.
Allright, glad to hear that the situation isnt out of ordinary.

Kernelkunt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kernelkunt » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:09 pm

Ross just posted an interview with some dude who uses AM. Goes fairly in depth as to how this guy is using AM in a live setting. Might be of interest to some people here.

http://www.audiomulch.com/articles/inte ... rew-tuttle

jensenluxvid
Common Wiggler

Post by jensenluxvid » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:37 pm

It's good to see people still using Audiomulch. I've been using it for many years, since before version 1. Such a great program, and it always feels like it's neglected compared to other stuff out there. It's almost always inspiring, a very creative environment.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:08 pm

jensenluxvid wrote:It's good to see people still using Audiomulch. I've been using it for many years, since before version 1. Such a great program, and it always feels like it's neglected compared to other stuff out there. It's almost always inspiring, a very creative environment.
used it a couple weeks ago for the first time in a while to do a remix. the work came together really quickly.

blaerg
Common Wiggler

Post by blaerg » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Big post, I can't help gushing about Audiomulch. :hail:

I failed to follow through with my intent to post a processing patch several months ago, but I've actually been digging really, really deep with the 'Mulch since then. I've acquired my first Mac in spring 2016, and using that platform exclusively now. At first I was bummed out that I couldn't use my previous patches on OS X but then I looked into running Audiomulch with Wine. It works GREAT. So now I've actually doubled up my mulching, and I run different things on each OS (I decided to name them Mac.Mulch and Wine.Mulch and color coded them to keep my head straight).

What I've been up to recently is related to having abandoned FL studio in favor of Tidal and Tidal-MIDI. I've spent an inordinate quantity of time mapping MIDI CC stuff to be controlled by code with Tidal-MIDI, and the results are just fantastic. Everything is responsive and just works.

For Mac.Mulch, I have set up control for a variety of freeware VSTi, as well as control for effects routing (that matrix was a bitch to set up, but it was worth it). I haven't delved into the effect control as extensively just yet.

Code provides a distinct and unique way to generate patterns and tracks, as well as making it really easy to do things that are (for me, at least) very difficult to program with a step sequencer.

For Wine.Mulch, I'm doing something similar but have focused my setup around VSTi percussion synths, something I've never used before. Excellent results! Starting to experiment with sending VST arpeggiator MIDI out into other synths (virtual and hardware both) as well.

Having acclimated with modular over the past few years has strongly informed this overall approach. I tend to think of code as a weirdly flexible sequencer with unlimited virtual CV output. I'm using Tidal-MIDI to drive my eurorack stuff as well. Lots and lots of territory to explore.

If anyone wants these patches, (or the custom Tidal setup stuff) let me know.

Also...
In keeping with previous observations about support, I had a problem/question (can Audiomulch pass sysex data from a MIDI out?) recently and direct email to Ross never produced a reply. I found something to do what I wanted anyhow.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:06 pm

^^ nice. would like to hear it someday! :)

powertran
Common Wiggler

Post by powertran » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:30 am

"I've got Audiomulch: suggestion , advice ?"
Yes, if your using a desktop base unit to drive synths. Install another soundcard
and configure that for midi and audio in Renoise into a mixing desk and then run the resulting audio (if you want to use VSTs as well) into Mulch for meta-surface mayhem on the other card.

RoaFL
Common Wiggler

Post by RoaFL » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:42 am

Listen to Chris Herbert's Mezzotint for a really good all-Mulch record.
It's older, but it shows what someone with a lot of skill and only Audio Mulch can do.

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:00 am

Hey guys, a quick question, did you manage to get expert sleepers silent way vst version to run in audiomulch ? I just get a unique contraption which is labelled silent way and is basically empty... Same behaviour on mac and pc, 32 and 64 bit. AU are listed correctly though.

if you have any suggestions...

Thanks a lot !
Sig !

Mostin77
Common Wiggler

Post by Mostin77 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:43 am

Ive been using Audiomulch from the beta and have always found it to suit my work style completely. I have just tried booting it up on my mac after not using it for 6 months or so and the patching tool window seems to be broken. is anyone else experiencing this?

A quick google search didn't really reveal much other than a few posts about Ross abandoning the software development and this thread here.

I'm trying to run on a mid 2011 mac mini running macOS High Sierra :help:

Is anyone here still managing to run Mulch on a updated mac?

:sadbanana: :sadbanana: :sadbanana:

blaerg
Common Wiggler

Post by blaerg » Tue May 22, 2018 2:42 pm

RoaFL wrote:Listen to Chris Herbert's Mezzotint for a really good all-Mulch record.
It's older, but it shows what someone with a lot of skill and only Audio Mulch can do.
This is a cool record indeed, glad you mentioned it.

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Wed May 23, 2018 8:19 am

Did you find a solution ? This sort of bug makes me reluctant to upgrade to high sierra...

Mostin77 wrote:Ive been using Audiomulch from the beta and have always found it to suit my work style completely. I have just tried booting it up on my mac after not using it for 6 months or so and the patching tool window seems to be broken. is anyone else experiencing this?

A quick google search didn't really reveal much other than a few posts about Ross abandoning the software development and this thread here.

Sig !

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:01 am

A necrobump to inform that I have been using the Surface Dial with the Elephant software by hi.computer to successfully control knobs and sliders in Audiomulch--even each individual harmonic slider. My machine is a recent Surface, but my understanding is as long as your Windows 10 machine has bluetooth you should be ok.

snakejaw
Common Wiggler

Post by snakejaw » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:03 pm

I haven't seen any indication that Audiomulch is no longer being developed. Does anyone have a link where the developer, Ross Bencina, says this? Thanks.
Mostin77 wrote:Ive been using Audiomulch from the beta and have always found it to suit my work style completely. I have just tried booting it up on my mac after not using it for 6 months or so and the patching tool window seems to be broken. is anyone else experiencing this?

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:26 pm

I've seen nothing straight from Ross, myself, though those speculating about it being abandonware are probably basing it on his actions--the lack thereof regarding its further development. (No disrespect meant at all to Ross!)

snakejaw
Common Wiggler

Post by snakejaw » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:49 am

It seems that Ross' posts on the site, on Twitter and Facebook all stop around 2016. Audiomulch is a great program, as is. I'm not personally bothered that it's 32 bit.

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:36 pm

Same. Glad it's still out there and still has a dedicated user base.

Mostin77
Common Wiggler

Post by Mostin77 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:16 pm

KaOsphere wrote:Did you find a solution ? This sort of bug makes me reluctant to upgrade to high sierra...

Sorry for the late reply I must of missed your post.

My specific problem was loading files into the loop player would crash the loop player if I remember rightly. With a bit of googling and reading through various threads I found Ross had suggested using a previous version, now all seems to be working ok.
I can look up what version I’m using if you like, although it seems most people seem to be fine with using the latest version?

powertran
Common Wiggler

Post by powertran » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:31 pm

I use Mulch to record sometimes. I use a Vst sequencer called the thesys

The advantage with driving your synths from mulch is you get to use all the DSP stuff that comes with Mulch. Thesys only addresses midi channel one so I use on old beat up XP machine that I've loaded up with 3 sound cards to give me 3 separate midi channel 1 ports.
It's a bit daft really but I like using Mulch.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:12 pm

I've used the last version of Audio Mulch, 2.2.5, for a long time. But less frequently in recent years. To my dismay, after I upgraded to MacOS 10.15 (Catalina), I discovered that Mulch won't run anymore, because Catalina removed support for 32-bit apps. All I found on the forums was this:

http://www.audiomulch.com/forums/suppor ... patability

Hollyhock is one of the suggestions.

http://www.brainmodular.com/

My principal uses for Mulch was as a VST bus, live processing, and recording. I'm interested to hear from anyone with this same problem, especially if you bought something else, how do you like the alternative.

Thanks,
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Return to “Music Software”