Things to add to Volta

Discussion and support for MOTU's Volta software.

Moderators: Kent, stretta

Buckage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buckage » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:30 am

Hey Stretta. I was hoping to have an easy way to attenuate the outgoing voltage (lfos for instance). Would "scaling and summing of outputs" cover that? Maybe I've overlooked a way to do it currently.

Great program.

vcs365
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vcs365 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:29 pm

1nput0utput wrote: You can scale Volta's output signals by adjusting the auxiliary track faders that route CV between Volta and the audio interface. (That's the required configuration when you're using Volta in Logic or Live. In DP, use the AU version of Volta instead of the MAS version, and you'll have the same control.)
that's a neat work around - thank you :)

makes me wonder, would using logic's phase-inverter on the auxiliary invert the polarity of the voltage? i've left the studio for the day now so i can't check - anyone had any results with this?

1nput0utput
Common Wiggler

Post by 1nput0utput » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:31 pm

vcs365 wrote:makes me wonder, would using logic's phase-inverter on the auxiliary invert the polarity of the voltage? i've left the studio for the day now so i can't check - anyone had any results with this?
Yes, it would. Another way to get the same result would be to use the signal available at the ring portion of the audio interface's balanced output (instead of the signal on the tip). The ring signal is phase-inverted relative to the tip. On an XLR output, pin 2 is the normal signal, and pin 3 is the inverted signal.

In another thread, doctorvague explained how to do barber pole LFO effects with half as many interface outputs as you would expect by taking advantage of both the normal and inverted signals available on balanced outputs.

doctorvague
ole fuckity fuck

Post by doctorvague » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:27 am

I don't believe HZ/V works in Volta at all despite MOTU's statements:
While Volta supports Hz/v scaling, the Korg MS-10/20/50 will not pass calibration without a additional bias voltage. This issue, plus the fact that these Korg models wish to see a 0 to +8v range means these monosynths are not supported at this time. It is reported the Korg MS-10 will calibrate using the FREQ input, however.
Yamaha CS-series - While Volta supports Hz/v scaling, the Yamaha CS-series synths will not pass calibration without a additional bias voltage. For this reason, these monosynths are not supported at this time.
Biasing the voltage is a trivial matter and I've tried all those sorts of things. My MS-20 will calibrate with Silent Way, but not Volta, which leads me to the conclusion that Hz/V just plain doesn't work in Volta at all. I see no evidence to the contrary and have also posted here asking 'is anybody getting Volta to work with Hz/V?' and didn't get a single reply.

So my request is: MOTU, either state clearly that Hz/V is NOT supported whatsoever OR make it work. Bias voltages notwithstanding, this feature either works or it doesn't. I see no evidence that it works at all. If someone has evidence to the contrary, please post it here.

thanks for the bandwidth,
Phil

Fourvoice
Learning to Wiggle

Things To Add To Volta, For "Stretta" :-)

Post by Fourvoice » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:44 am

Dear Stretta

I have to admit I could only "fly" through the whole "Things To Add To Volta"-thread as I am in production and under stress.

But one thing I have been thinking about a lot while strugglin with the calibration-feature of VOLTA ist (and please forgive me everyboy if this HAS been posted or issued, but at least I think it has only been "touched" so far... :roll:

Wouldn't it be great if the MANUAL calibration options would be set up a lot more like a digital (guitar- etc) tuner ? I find it very hard to draw those little lines trying to hit the right spots and especially it is very unclear what note corresponds to what horizontal position (if you know what I mean)
Some older analogues just don't make it within an octave, they need note-by-note calibration (and auto-calibration doesn't seem to work on some of my gear, some too old, some like the 4-voice cannot play sine-waveforms, only pulse and sawtooth (!!) making it almost impossible for volta to auto-calibrate....)

To make a long story short, my proposal would be a note-by-note editor corresponding to the keybord, so you just play a note (on the synth or via midi) and then e.g. turn a virtual knob (perhaps aided by a little visual scale like the simple tuners have with a light moving left & right of the 440 "A") and HEAR (!) the tone of the osciallator while playing it.

That would be so easy-to use and musician-friendly, also allowing deliberate slight off-tuning etc. !
Trying to put these little dots on the scale, without knowing close to which "real" note you are at all and not hearing what is going on at all is, well, VERY dificult (I have not managed to get more then 3 or 4 notes more or less in tune...)

With this kind of "tune each note within 1 or 2 octaves by ear" (perhaps aided visually like an analog tuner) it would take 10 minutes to calibrate the synth once in the morning and done. Perhaps recalling the settings from the day before will already do it, sometimes (depending on the temperature in the studio :hihi: ) with just little adjustments.

I know you have heaps of work and dozens of suggestions by Volta-users, but wouldn't that be a great feature for all synths that have trouble with the auto-calibration ? And I HOPE :oops: it could be fairly easy to program (?)

Thanx a bunch, I am REALLY looking forward to the next volta version, either way, some suggestions on this thread are very very good (not only mine :hyper: ) and I agree. But tuning the synth is Nr. 1 before being able to use it.... and it seems a couple of other people have trouble getting the auto-calibration to work too...

Luke

Man-Machine
Common Wiggler

ARPEGGIATOR PLUGIN

Post by Man-Machine » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Either a dedicated arpeggiator pluggin or arpeggiator functionality to the step/trigger sequencer

- The step sequencer needs to automatically transpose (notes) when you hit a different key on the keyboard

- The step sequencer need to be gated so that if no MIDI notes are coming in it needs to stop! This could be a setting choice.

- The step sequencer should have an option to retrigger to the first step if a keyboard key is depressed and pressed back again.

- Right now you can do Up/Down, Down/Up, Up/Up/Down/Down just by shortening the number of step to 2, 4, etc. but dedicated controls would be nice.

doctorvague
ole fuckity fuck

Re: ARPEGGIATOR PLUGIN

Post by doctorvague » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Man-Machine wrote:Either a dedicated arpeggiator pluggin or arpeggiator functionality to the step/trigger sequencer

- The step sequencer needs to automatically transpose (notes) when you hit a different key on the keyboard

- The step sequencer need to be gated so that if no MIDI notes are coming in it needs to stop! This could be a setting choice.

- The step sequencer should have an option to retrigger to the first step if a keyboard key is depressed and pressed back again.

- Right now you can do Up/Down, Down/Up, Up/Up/Down/Down just by shortening the number of step to 2, 4, etc. but dedicated controls would be nice.
That all sounds good to me. I heart me some arpeggiator. :love:

Man-Machine
Common Wiggler

**** STEP SEQUENCER IMPROVEMENTS ****

Post by Man-Machine » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:53 pm

**** STEP SEQUENCER IMPROVEMENTS ****

The step/trigger sequencer leaves a lot to be desired. Here are some basic additions. With some of these additions the sequencer could also be used as an arpeggiator.

- The step sequencer need to be gated so that if no MIDI notes are coming in it needs to stop! (This could be a setting choice)

- Each step should have its own gate amount.

- There should be a way to input step values (notes) by hitting notes with a keyboard controller which for some people is way more practical and faster.

- There should be also be a way to MIDI map step values with an external hardware midi controller.

Return to “Volta”