Volta vs. Kenton for MD-centric Euro rig

Discussion and support for MOTU's Volta software.

Moderators: Kent, stretta

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Volta vs. Kenton for MD-centric Euro rig

Post by suboptimal » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm considering buying Volta as an alternative to a Kenton Pro2k and/or Flame Clockwork for integrating my Machinedrum with my developing Euro rack. I also have a Future Retro XS and 777 which can provide MIDI controlled gate and CV signals, but the additional functionality of Volta seems pretty compelling as a less expensive alternative to the Kenton - assuming it can work this way. I'm fairly reluctant to use software but this seems like a legit cost-saving mechanism.

I'd run MIDI through a Emagic AMT8, with Volta running either in Audio Desk or Live 6 via an Ultralite Mk3.

Thoughts? GAS enablement? "Buy all of them?" :omg:

1nput0utput
Common Wiggler

Post by 1nput0utput » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:09 am

AudioDesk can't host virtual instrument plug-ins, so you'd have to go with Digital Performer, Live, Logic, or some other comparable AU VI host.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:02 am

See how deeply I use my software? :confused:

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:03 am

Sequencing on a computer is much different then sequencing on hardware. If you're already doing a lot of computer stuff I'd think it would make sense to use Volta. That being said, when I use my MD with my modular it sounds nothing like the results that I get with the computer.

Gordon Cole
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gordon Cole » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:53 pm

sascha.victoria wrote:\ That being said, when I use my MD with my modular it sounds nothing like the results that I get with the computer.
can you expand on this?

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Can you set us straight as to why? example?
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:38 am

I'd wager that it is down to feature set, interface design & physicality.

Suboptimal, I think that a MIDI to CV interface is hands down the winner if you are working with hardware. Just add a boring 1x1 MIDI interface any time that you wish to work with your computer.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:54 am

Kent wrote: Just add a boring 1x1 MIDI interface any time that you wish to work with your computer.
If you don't already have one, you might want to add a slew limiter to the shopping list if you plan to use midi CCs to generate CVs.

Volta's advantage is that it puts out nice, smooth voltages whereas midi arrives pre-quantised (mostly) in 128 very audible steps so you have to do the smoothing for yourself.

auricle
Common Wiggler

Post by auricle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:59 am

Or both if you get the funds!

If you feel doing a project more integrated with the computer, Volta is fantastic and can do things that are very difficult to do with a hardware interface. Volta integrates very well with Ableton Live and the Volta manual explains clearly how to set it up within Live.

Return to “Volta”