Glitching after added ES-5

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

spotta
Needs more wigglin' time

Glitching after added ES-5

Post by spotta » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:13 pm

So, day 5 of isolation and the next item on my list of 'Things I keep putting off because they give me brain ache' is Silent way :hmm:
I've had a ES-3 & ES-6 for a while but have far from explored all of the options. I recently got a ES-5 along with a DJ-1000 adapter and I'm currently just trying to to use the Voice Controller and then send a midi out, clock out, and reset out on channels 1-3 of the ES-5.
I've just about managed this after following a few tuts and forum threads but it's touch and go each time I turn my machine on if it's going to work.
Sometimes it works for a while but the midi clock out will be a beat behind, sometimes when hitting my midi keyboard it'll take a second for SW to send the midi, sometimes it'll work almost fine then i'll do something else for a bit and it'll glitch like crazy. When it start's glitching I've noticed the LEDs on ES-3 & ES-5 will pulse a lot, e.g. ES-5 #3 is set up as a reset, going high when transport stopped so normally when stopped it's solid red, but then sometimes it's flashing like crazy and my clock signal is proper pissed when the transport is running. Earlier on I did a test and it ran like a dream for 2 minutes and then literally the midi clock signal just died off over a bar and the modular clock went crazy. I'll try and get some video once I've posted this.

Setup is a MiniDSPStreamer via one USB port on MBP connected to the ES3 & ES-6. this is set to be the master clock in a aggregate device with a MOTU828/ADA8200 and an iConnect Midi4 which both connect to my MBP's second USB port via an Electron Overhub.

I never had an issue before adding the ES-5 although I've also made a few other changes recently so who knows.
Had a quick search but didn't find any similar issues here, have you heard of anything similar happening before?
Spotta
--

spotta
Needs more wigglin' time

Re: Glitching after added ES-5

Post by spotta » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:44 pm

And now I’ve had a phone recording all night it’s behaved perfectly!
I shouldn’t moan, I will try and get video if it starts doing it again.
Spotta
--

spotta
Needs more wigglin' time

Post by spotta » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:36 am

So it finally went wrong! From last night until today lunchtime has been the longest i've had it working in memory after the ES-5 was fitted.
Here is a base video I took last night to test the midi clock, cv clock and reset

I've been popping out every hour or so to test and this is what started happening this lunchtime

A reboot of my MBP has it back working again for now, it doesn't always first time. Have you seen this behaviour in the past?
Spotta
--

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:45 am

To me this feels like an issue with the Aggregate device setup. Behaviour which gradually (or suddenly) degrades is often to do with the digital audio clocks losing sync.

Can I see a screenshot of your aggregate setup?

spotta
Needs more wigglin' time

Post by spotta » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 am

Screenshot 2020-03-26 13.18.12.png
I used to use 44.1, and my 828 as master before I got the ES-5 with no issues at all, I think it was on a thread here I read that 48 is preferred and making the device connected to the ES-3 & 6 Master clock was recommended in another thread I seem to recall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spotta
--

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 am

44.1/48 shouldn't make any difference. The device driving the ES-5 certainly needs to be the clock master.
You could try making the 828 the master and driving the ES-3/ES-5 from that.

spotta
Needs more wigglin' time

Post by spotta » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:02 am

Easier said than done in reality, but I hear what you're saying. If this is down to digital clocks not syncing I'm going to have to experiment with a few different setups. Thanks Os.
Spotta
--

Return to “Expert Sleepers”