Using the ES-6 as standalone ADAT interface

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Davnak
Learning to Wiggle

Using the ES-6 as standalone ADAT interface

Post by Davnak » Thu May 21, 2020 2:09 pm

I've been looking to get into the Expert Sleepers platform of interfaces to multi-track my eurorack setup. I currently have a UAD Apollo Twin and would like to expand it with eurorack level ADAT connections. Is it possible to use an ES-6 connected to my interface via ADAT and have the 6 input channels show up?

Common Wiggler

Re: Using the ES-6 as standalone ADAT interface

Post by 6667 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:57 pm

yea as far as i understand it, thats exactly how it should work. a single adat out or in carries 8 channels of audio at 48000. interfaces that have adat ports will consider each channel of audio going through an adat port as a totally separate audio channel. so as an example, my motu 828es has 4 adat ports (2 in 2 out), for a total of 32 separate channels of audio io (and those channels will show up as separate channels of audio in the motu mixing software, ableton live, maxmsp, etc.)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri May 22, 2020 2:25 am

The ES-6 requires a connected ES-3 or ES-8 (to provide it the digital audio clock).

Davnak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Davnak » Fri May 22, 2020 10:54 am

Okay, so to make sure my understanding is correct. With the ES-6, digital clock is not sent over the ADAT.

Follow-up question (somewhat un-related). Say I have an ES-8 and ES-6 connected via adat. Is it possible to get both adat in and out (assuming my main interface has both in/out), or am I limited to just adapt out (which would correlate to eurorack level inputs)?

Or another way to phrase the question, if I am only use the ES platform as an adat expansion for my primary interface, can I still use it for both additional inputs for multi tracking, and additional outputs for sending CV from my computer.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 pm

ADAT is a one-way connection. So the ES-6 by itself cannot receive clock via ADAT, since it only has an ADAT output.

An ES-8 can be connected via ADAT in & out to another interface. An ES-6 only makes sense with an ES-8 if you're using the ES-8 over USB.

Joey P.
Common Wiggler

Post by Joey P. » Fri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm

No go with a Twin, which does not have ADAT out. I run an ES-3/ES-6 w/ Apollo x8p which has ADAT i/o. The ES-6 does not have a clock. The ES-3 derives clock from ADAT out of your audio interface, and the ES-6 derives clock from the ES-3 so essentially the ES-6 is clocked to your interface's ADAT output.

Davnak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Davnak » Fri May 22, 2020 6:16 pm

os wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 pm
ADAT is a one-way connection. So the ES-6 by itself cannot receive clock via ADAT, since it only has an ADAT output.

An ES-8 can be connected via ADAT in & out to another interface.
Gotcha, makes sense.

Joey P. wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm
No go with a Twin,
Correct, I have a twin for now, but I'm looking to upgrade to the x6 in the near future (which has both ADAT in/out).

Joey P. wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm
I run an ES-3/ES-6 w/ Apollo x8p which has ADAT i/o.
So if my understanding is correct your setup (Apollo x8p, ES-3, and ES-6) you have 8 ADAT outputs and 6 ADAT inputs. And you are running the ES interfaces adat only (not aggregated devices or any of that)

So, if I were to get an ES-8, and ES-6, and run ADAT in/out to the Apollo x6, I should theoretically have:

-6 line inputs (from the apollo)
-8 eurorack inputs (from the ES-8 and ES-6 via adat)
-8 eurorack outputs (from the ES-8 and ES-6 via adat)

In this kind of setup, does the ES-6 still get clock from the ES-8?

Joey P.
Common Wiggler

Post by Joey P. » Fri May 22, 2020 7:07 pm

Davnak wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:16 pm

So if my understanding is correct your setup (Apollo x8p, ES-3, and ES-6) you have 8 ADAT outputs and 6 ADAT inputs. And you are running the ES interfaces adat only (not aggregated devices or any of that)

So, if I were to get an ES-8, and ES-6, and run ADAT in/out to the Apollo x6, I should theoretically have:

-6 line inputs (from the apollo)
-8 eurorack inputs (from the ES-8 and ES-6 via adat)
-8 eurorack outputs (from the ES-8 and ES-6 via adat)

In this kind of setup, does the ES-6 still get clock from the ES-8?
Correct...no aggregate. ES i/o is Apollo ADAT i/o.

I THINK this is correct for setup above:

6 line in (from Apollo, accessible via Console).
4 Euro in (direct into ES-8, accessible via USB audio)
6 Euro in (into ES-6 connected either in to ES-8 ADAT input to USB audio, or Apollo ADAT input to UA Console. Apollo would have to slave to ADAT input clock or you would get clocking errors).
8 Euro out from ES-8 to USB audio

If you connect Apollo to ES-8 ADAT i/o, you are basically connecting Apollo to USB i/o within the computer. You aren't connecting Apollo to the ES-8 analog i/o. ES-8 is a 12 in/16 out audio interface...8x8 ADAT plus 4x8 Euro analog.

The ES-6 rear connection to the ES-8 is just clock. You still have to use the ES-8 ADAT input for audio.

You won't gain much with the ES-8 over the ES-3. Really just 4 additional inputs. Plus you're going to lose the UA clock as master, and deal with aggregate. Plus, if you use LUNA, you won't have access to the ES-8 USB device.

Davnak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Davnak » Fri May 22, 2020 11:36 pm

Dang... okay thanks, I think I have a better idea of how these things connect. I really wanted to get 8 ADAT eurorack channels into my Apollo console while keeping the Apollo as the main device. That's unfortunate.

Joey P.
Common Wiggler

Post by Joey P. » Sat May 23, 2020 1:16 am

Davnak wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:36 pm
Dang... okay thanks, I think I have a better idea of how these things connect. I really wanted to get 8 ADAT eurorack channels into my Apollo console while keeping the Apollo as the main device. That's unfortunate.
ES-3, ES-6 and ES-7 will get you 8 ins and 8 outs over Apollo ADAT i/o.

Davnak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Davnak » Sat May 23, 2020 10:11 am

I didn’t even look at the ES-7.

The ES-7 says CV input, but it still will process audio just fine? Correct?

Joey P.
Common Wiggler

Post by Joey P. » Sat May 23, 2020 12:13 pm

They will input audio, as they are 48k lightpipe channels 7/8 of the ES-6. But as with the ES-6, there is DC offset which will show on your input meters. I believe this is a product of them being able to pass CV at all, where most audio interfaces filter DC on the way in. It does not effect audio, but if it bothers you you can use a DC offset plugin to balance it.

Davnak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Davnak » Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Good to know, thanks so much for the help

Return to “Expert Sleepers”