Disting Feature Requests

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Disting Feature Requests

Post by os » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:34 pm

wr0ng1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wr0ng1 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:50 am

Thanks!

six_minds
Common Wiggler

Post by six_minds » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 pm

Another reques, somewhat less ambitioust:
The H4 Quantizer -- would it be possible to have a parameter added which switches input/output from +-5v - 0-10v?

So that when using the midi 1 and 2 modes you can configure midi note zero to output zero v as supposed to a negative value??

A Z assignable octave offset parameter could also work well for this purpose. Easy to make this happen with other modules of course, but it would be very elegant to have it built in...

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:22 am

This seems like an odd request. It's very rare to use MIDI note zero. Usually keyboards are centred around 48 or 60 or so. Can you explain why you want to use note zero?

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:05 am

os wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:22 am
This seems like an odd request. It's very rare to use MIDI note zero. Usually keyboards are centred around 48 or 60 or so. Can you explain why you want to use note zero?
I've used it often, usually when creating an arpeggio modulation track that's designed to be added to another track.
--

Sync

six_minds
Common Wiggler

Post by six_minds » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:31 am

os wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:22 am

A current structure: Im using disting ex in dual quantizer mode (midi mode 1 or 2) as a front end for tubbutec uScale, being driven atm by a shifty (both 0-10v). Midi Control is currently a custom max patch oriented towards tunings with more than 12 degrees per octave, rather than a keyboard. You run out of notes very fast if u don’t use the full midi range. Note 0 is the lowest note available and the tuning/scale reference and tonic, at least far as I am using it in this structure.

I guess this qualifies as a „rare“ situation, but the primary point of the request was to be able to adapt the quantizer input and output ranges to work with modules that might not take negative voltages, such as the shifty or the uScale... an offset Control would be a useful way to do that!

Thanks for taking it into consideration at any rate!

Matt_ZK
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Matt_ZK » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:56 am

HI. Re the oscillator with linear FM (B7). It would be useful if the second waveform output (B) wasn't modulated so that the external modulator VCO could be used to hard sync'ed to the Disting's 'carrier' VCO. Maybe if there was an option to attenuate the FM amount for either waveform?

Amazingly useful and flexible module BTW, I can see I'm going to have to buy another one, or the EX version as well.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:30 pm

I just want to say, that this is on the top of my list: (quoting myself from earlier in this thread.)
Would it perhaps be possible, that an algo with Knob Recorder, such as M5 Stereo Filter, could allow CV input on Z without interupting recorded knob movement?
It would be so nice, to allow both at the same time.
My case is, that I have two mk4’s always working as stereo filters, and they always have an envelope sending cv into them. I love the knob recording function, it is litterally always at hand, but as is, one must kill all modulation going into the disting, or else it will kill the knob recording. Having both would be so delightful. :party:

dragulasbruder
Common Wiggler

Post by dragulasbruder » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:10 pm

Os, I'm sure you're inundated as usual--but another request. I'd love to see a Rungler-style shift register/binary encoder/decoder. This is something I patch up in VCV all the time, but it would take about half my system to set up in analog--and thus a perfect candidate for disting. It's basically a sample/hold but with a brain.

I imagine it working like this:

X is a data input, Y is a clock input. Input values on X are compared to zero, and then sent to a shift register. A parameter-variable number of bits on the shift register are then decoded to an analog value. This is sort of a crude non-tonal quantizer, but results in great patterns that have a sense of similitude (especially when only decoding 3-4 bits) but rarely result in actual repetition.

A is that analog voltage output. B is a parameter-variable output of one of the shift register taps (and thus a binary signal that can be used as a gate).

Z controls the likelihood of an assigned shift register tap being sent back to the shift register instead of the comparated X-value (like a probabalistic feedback loop).

I've got a handful of other ideas for this one if it's something you're interested enough in implementing. Always appreciate you taking rolling feedback from the community with Disting!
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:31 am

This sounds a lot like the existing shift register random modes. Perhaps it would be possible to add options to those instead of making a whole new algorithm. E.g. the existing 'modify' input could become your 'data' input.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”