DISTING EX _ DEEP AUTOSAMPLING BUG?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

DISTING EX _ DEEP AUTOSAMPLING BUG?

Post by Black_Materia » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:33 am

I already posted this in feature requests

as said there seem to be some bugs with high sample count in autosampling and extended wait times between as triggers.

The big sample run of 3204 samples took 25 hours... and failed :doh:
i found some of the autosample runs i did had digital garbled noise instead of recording. sometimes the first 40-x notes would be fine, and then suddenly, noise with digital swirl.

I opened up the sd card, to edit/sort the recordings.
I found autosample folders 59, 60 and 61 were corrupt, they are aborted autosample routines of only a few samples. these folders would not erase from the sd card until i did a disk check, where some errors were found. after that they did delete.

These takes precede all other takes that have the above mentioned noise error in them, so it might be related.

So it seems somehow data storage was corrupted on the sd card. It was working fine and new a week ago.
could be just a fault in the card causing erratic disting behaviour,
or could it be that disting failed and wrote the data incorrectly/corrupted, and had some other malfunctions.

will try some more relatively deep sampling today, but i'm not going to do the whole day stunt again :confused:

i'm periodically timing the amount of delay between triggers, in the big attempt, it was over 2 minutes between samples in the end, but kept going. All those recordings are noise, though. it did trigger the note correctly, but data ended up corrupt.

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

Re: DISTING EX _ DEEP AUTOSAMPLING BUG?

Post by Black_Materia » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:23 am

i also noticed there is slight distortion/coloration when i send too loud a signal into the Disting, way before the display indicator shows clipping. I can't get past halfway before a pure sine develops overtones. Also, any amount of raising the input gain setting also creates overtones. This is being super OCD, it's very subtle, and you need to gain the output significantly and it's mostly noticeable on a pure sine. Might be inevitable.

doing some more sampling tests, a few occasions a single recording is followed by a longer delay, but it mostly keeps rolling. doing a longer run now, we'll see how it does after an hour of recording.

i also found i'm now getting the 'no sd card' warning on startup, but when i init a multisample, it works fine.

I should mention i'm using a 128GB Samsung EVO card

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

Post by Black_Materia » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:29 pm

Aand now the calibration data is gone? i'll recalibrate it again tomorrow.

Another strange thing: i renamed one of the autosample folders to a different title, and it doesn't show up in the list. If i copy the files into a folder that was previously recognised, it does find the samples.

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

Post by Black_Materia » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:36 am

AUTOREC folders are not seen by disting, also it seems a bit random as to which folders it will show, and which not. Could it be i have too many? I certainly have more than a 100. It seems to retain the ones that were on there the longest, but not find new ones. Can i do like a rescan somehow?

*EDIT so clearly, after a 100 folters have been recognised, no others will be detected, unless one of those hundred gets removed.

I recalibrated and updated the firmware to 1.5beta, so far it seems to work fine. I'm using less rr and velocity layers, and shorter notes though.
Last edited by Black_Materia on Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Have you reformatted your SD card? That might help.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”