ES9 - No Sound Through Aggregate Device - Catalina

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

einerleimusic
Learning to Wiggle

ES9 - No Sound Through Aggregate Device - Catalina

Post by einerleimusic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi,

I'm on Catalina with the latest ES-9 firmware and default settings in the ES-9 Configurator Tool. In Ableton, I currently have the audio input configured from the ES-9 and output configured to my mixing console (Presonus 32SC). This works fine for the simple purpose of taking audio out of the ES-9 into the Mac and then out into the mixing console.

However, when I make an aggregate audio device with the ES-9 and Presonus 32SC (with Presonus as clock source and the ES-9 with drift correction applied), there is no sound coming in from the ES-9, although the audio signal appears visually in the relevant Ableton channel. Audio plays out to the 32SC through iTunes/YouTube etc., but not within Ableton when configured so that the input and output are both the aggregate device.

Could somebody be kind enough to point me towards where I might be going wrong please? I'm sure it's simple as I'm a beginner, but it's causing me a headache.

Best

Alex
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 21.33.06.png
Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 21.31.24.png
Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 21.27.42.png

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ES9 - No Sound Through Aggregate Device - Catalina

Post by os » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:47 am

Have you tried rearranging the Aggregate, so that the 32SC is first in the list (and so uses channels 1-64)?

This:
Audio plays out to the 32SC through iTunes/YouTube etc., but not within Ableton when configured so that the input and output are both the aggregate device.
makes me think it might be a Presonus issue. Have you asked them?

JKShark
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JKShark » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:36 am

I quite often get this same issue. I have sometimes resolved this by making sure the Aggregate Device is properly set up and then restarting my laptop. I also have an ES-9 and Presonus. I also put the ES-9 first. I do this so that channel 1 and 2 are the master out in Ableton but maybe I don't need to? Sometimes works sometimes doesn't! I'd like to know if there is a better reason than this. I am also a beginner at this.

einerleimusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by einerleimusic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm

os wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:47 am
Have you tried rearranging the Aggregate, so that the 32SC is first in the list (and so uses channels 1-64)?

This:
Audio plays out to the 32SC through iTunes/YouTube etc., but not within Ableton when configured so that the input and output are both the aggregate device.
makes me think it might be a Presonus issue. Have you asked them?
Hey Os. I tried this, now everything is working! Thanks a lot, now I can properly get stuck in.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”