anyone using Expert Sleepers Silent Way with Buchla 200e?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

ZenMusic
Wiggling with Experience

anyone using Expert Sleepers Silent Way with Buchla 200e?

Post by ZenMusic » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:47 am

I've never figured out what this is .....
I read "There are currently eighteen plug-ins in the Silent Way suite " and my eyes glaze over ...

Kaput
merry prankster

Post by Kaput » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:53 am

I looked into it, but after I tried the demo (and made a cable) I found the Silent Way system wasn't for me. It works, but... too techy for my tastes. Others love it, of course. When it comes to computery stuff, I glaze over. :confused:

eben1000uk
Common Wiggler

Post by eben1000uk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:44 am

yes i sometimes use it to provide a very tight sync between my computer's sequencer (digital performer) and the buchla (and all my other analog stuff). but that's all - just very tight clocking (ie better than midi which is a bit baggy). its actually very useful for this feature alone :tu:

Leoespejo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leoespejo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:33 am

Yes, me and a lot, but you'll need something like CVGT1 to scale some voltages.

I hope someday OS bring his light to Buchla world, maybe ModuleModule format, or the new Bento Box.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:36 am

you'll need something like CVGT1 to scale some voltages
Why? All Expert Sleepers stuff should work fine with Buchla hardware without any adaptors etc.

misa
Ultra Wiggler

Post by misa » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:40 am

os wrote: Why? All Expert Sleepers stuff should work fine with Buchla hardware without any adaptors etc.
but I don't see any bananas on the Expert Sleepers modules?
OUT NOW: GRAT - CHAOSMAGIC. on CD (digifile) and download, three dark ambient tracks rooted in Magic Realism. CHECK IT OUT HERE

Buy it now: "Heart Murmur" 10" vinyl on Bandcamp (solo Buchla 200e, no overdubs, recorded live in Berlin) out now everywhere!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:41 am

Indeed not, though people have DIYd a banana ES-3.

I guess my point was that you could use a simple banana/jack adaptor cable - you don't need an actual module to convert voltages.

Leoespejo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leoespejo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:30 pm

os wrote:Indeed not, though people have DIYd a banana ES-3.

I guess my point was that you could use a simple banana/jack adaptor cable - you don't need an actual module to convert voltages.
Yes, but only if you use Silent Way exclusively. If you send CVs in another way you'll need some kind of convertion to make sure, for instance, that you are sending only + CVs. or to scale 1.2 v/oct.
Last edited by Leoespejo on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nordlead
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nordlead » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:57 pm

os wrote:Indeed not, though people have DIYd a banana ES-3.

That's the point that holds me back from getting an ES-3 for my Serge :sadbanana:

How about a banana-expander that could be connected to the ES-3 behind the panel - is there any connector available for this by any chance? This way one could use either Doepfer cords or nanas and it would be much prettier than a format jumbler ... :nana:
Random*Source: Serge, JHaible & more ... (also on facebook.com/randomsource)

(please contact me through email rather than pm: rc at randomsource . net - thanks!)

synthomaniac
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synthomaniac » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:02 pm

In support of the award winning Os :yay: and at the risk of doing myself out of a sale or two :bang:; Silent Way, a mac/pc, an audio interface, an ES-3 plus a format jumbler will work perfectly for scaling (and offsetting) CVs to a 1.2V/octave Buchla because it will calibrate the CV to the v/octave of the target VCO. That is especially cool if your VCO is not very well set up and has some odd scaling like 1.15V/octave for example.

However (here's me trying to retrieve the situation) if using a mac/pc is not your thing and you want to simply translate CV sources (e.g. LFOs, ADSRs, S/Hs, quantizers, sequencers, joysticks) and gate/trigger and pulses from a Euro system to Buchla and vice-versa then CVGT1 will sit there pretty, dumb and happy (and precise) just doing what it does best to help that East Coast to West Coast conversation to happen.

:hihi:
Synovatron Electronic Music
http://synovatron.blogspot.com
Eurorack DIY kits, modules (CV Tools, CVGT1, cvgt MM), AS-Doepfer Adaptors, Ribbon cables
http://soundcloud.com/monakrome

ZenMusic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ZenMusic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm going to look into Silent Way ...

but I'm still going to want a couple CVGT1's when I get my eurorack...

primemover
Common Wiggler

Post by primemover » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:53 am

If you have an audio interface that is dc coupled you only need a format jumbler. Like the one from low gain. no euro module needed.

emp
Common Wiggler

Post by emp » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:04 pm

ZenMusic wrote:I'm going to look into Silent Way ...

but I'm still going to want a couple CVGT1's when I get my eurorack...
Yeah. I would say one really doesn't exclude the other. It's really nice to be able to send stuff back and forth between a euro-system and a Buchla with the CVGT-1. And an ES-3 (or similar) and whatever software you want to use is awesome for precise control of your modular, be it Buchla or euro.

AlexHeld
Learning to Wiggle

Re: anyone using Expert Sleepers Silent Way with Buchla 200e?

Post by AlexHeld » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:49 pm

Hi there, Buchla newbie here.
Can anyone tell me the settings for the Voice controller? I have played around with it a bit, but it seems to sweep from -10 to +10 Volts and i really dont want to send this into my 259e.

Has anyone experience with this?

Return to “Expert Sleepers”