disting mk3 firmware announcement thread

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

dubtoms
Common Wiggler

Post by dubtoms » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Wow. :yay: :yay: :yay:

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:55 pm

Audio recorder is missing from the quick reference FYI

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:32 am

Fix0rd, thanks!

handsomepanther
Common Wiggler

Post by handsomepanther » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 pm

my disting mk3 is somehow stuck with the lights flashing, it was like this before the firmware update too.. was hoping to fix it, won't let me switch banks, or algorithms. I tried the latest firmware update, it gets to that same place at :49 seconds in this video but mine stays flashing with all LEDs..

[video][/video]

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 am

All LEDs rapidly flashing indicates a hardware fault. Email me.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:37 am

1st September 2017 - version 3.10:

* Added Stereo Reverb, Mono-to-Stereo Reverb, and Dual Reverb algorithms.
* Added Stereo Chorus and Mono Chorus algorithms.
* Added Waveform Animator algorithm.
* Added Noise algorithm.
* Added Wavetable VCO algorithm.

dubtoms
Common Wiggler

Post by dubtoms » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:58 am

Awesome !!! :hail:

mtsngrs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mtsngrs » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:35 pm

The gift that just keeps giving. Thank you Mr OS

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

araguet
Learning to Wiggle

1V/oct does´t work in VCO modes. MK3

Post by araguet » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi, I tried to sequence with a SQ-1 and Pure Data but there's no way to tune it.

¿Any idea?

-z0r-
Learning to Wiggle

Post by -z0r- » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:24 am

handsomepanther wrote:my disting mk3 is somehow stuck with the lights flashing, it was like this before the firmware update too.. was hoping to fix it, won't let me switch banks, or algorithms. I tried the latest firmware update, it gets to that same place at :49 seconds in this video but mine stays flashing with all LEDs..

[video][/video]
It seems one of my Distings is doing exactly this, ive tried updating firmware multiple times (even tried that custom firmware in the other thread) to no avail.

is there anything I can do?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:11 am

As I said above, all LEDs rapidly flashing indicates a hardware fault. Email me.

dubtoms
Common Wiggler

Post by dubtoms » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:25 am

Is there a chance that we will see the new algorhythms developed for mk4 throughout 2018 ported to mk3 ? That would be an a great belated Christmas gift ! :mrgreen:

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Sat May 04, 2019 7:39 am

hello. do i need to install all updates in order or is it enough to install pnly the last update 3.10? does update 3.10 works with the Disting MK3?

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Sat May 04, 2019 6:53 pm

the menu navigation is horrible. switching between the banks and the associated algorhythms and to find a specific function again, is always like a gambling game to me. i often have to turn off the power and turn it on again, because of some weird behaviour. after hours of messing around with this thing, i still don't know how exactly this shitty menu works. that's really annoying. when i don't figure it out in a couple of days, i'll probably get rid of it and buy a less complex effects/multi-function module where the control is faster, because this is the point of modular to me. it makes me angry slowly but steady

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun May 05, 2019 3:09 am

You can go direct to any firmware version.

As you no doubt have seen, the mk3 was replaced by the mk4 some time ago, with an actual screen for easier navigation.

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Sun May 05, 2019 5:24 pm

is the new version easier to handle? anyways...today I've managed to play a MIDI file at least and to create a favourites list which worked a little. but since you can't use the Z knob while a SD card is inserted that i've read in the manual, most of the Algorhythms won't work very well. for example with the reverbs i've had hard time. the midi file (free not clockable) that i tested, was also a bit shorter as it actually should and i have also the feeling, the algorhythms that should be in the 3A bank (according to the manual) are actually in Bank 2. but maybe i'm wrong, because i still not fully managed to keep the order, im mean, what i need to chose first, the banks or the algorhythms. the delay, reverb, chorus effects are of my taste in terms of quality, but there are also lots of other funktions that i want to use. a great module except for the annoying control ;)

junelopez215
1-Post Wiggler

Re: disting mk3 firmware announcement thread

Post by junelopez215 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:23 am

I am having problems with this 3.10 firmware. I installed all of the firmware to see if there was problem somewhere and everything worked up until I got to this update which is not allowing me to select #2 - I know it work with the other firmware before this one so just perhaps the one you have up loaded on the website is probably the same corrupt file. Can you help me please as I am really liking your product?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 am

What do you mean by "select #2"?

Nobody else has complained that firmware v3.10 is corrupt, and it's been here for a couple of years now.

S0210
Common Wiggler

Post by S0210 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:13 am

junelopez215 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:23 am
I am having problems with this 3.10 firmware. I installed all of the firmware to see if there was problem somewhere and everything worked up until I got to this update which is not allowing me to select #2 - I know it work with the other firmware before this one so just perhaps the one you have up loaded on the website is probably the same corrupt file. Can you help me please as I am really liking your product?
Hi,

Have you managed to sort out the issue? Was it because of the SD card?
I'm actively (and happily) using my mk3s and would like to know about
any potential issues that may come up.

Regards, Andras

franktropez
Common Wiggler

Post by franktropez » Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 pm

os wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 am
What do you mean by "select #2"?

Nobody else has complained that firmware v3.10 is corrupt, and it's been here for a couple of years now.

I’ve the same problem it seems. Bought a 2nd hand MK3 from someone, they mentioned it hadn’t been updated since they got it a couple of years ago so first thing I did (after spending an hour playing with the pingpong delay :-D) was install the latest firmware.
Under this iteration it does not seem possible to select the 2nd menu item when entering the algorithm/bank selection mode. I press “s” once to enter selection mode, the leds start to blink, I scroll but one tick takes me straight to 3 from 1, another tick takes me back to 1.
Not expecting a whole lot of support on a legacy module that I bought 2nd hand btw, just thought I’d possibly help clarify the issue a little.

Haven’t taken out the sd card with samples that I put in right after upgrading btw, maybe removing it will resolve the issue.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon May 04, 2020 2:34 am

Yes, it will. Having the SD card in there changes the menus. This is in the manual.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Fri May 08, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi Peeps,

I think I know the answer to this but just want to make sure that I am reading those flashing LEDs correctly.

I'm guessing that for the life of the Mk3 the bootloader version never got updated, so I am only interested in the firmware.

The LED sequence is just to fast for me to get my old noggin around so I took a video with my phone and slowed it down to half speed. And even then I can't be totally sure because just before the algorithm is displayed the top right LED (a = lsb) flashes briefly.

So I think that my two Mk3s are at v3.6

Could someone have a quick look at the video that I have posted on YouTube and confirm that I have understood my binary correctly? I used to do a bit of machine code stuff for my C64 a long, long while ago and I am somewhat rusty, and old to boot.

Kind of moot, I guess, because I'm sure it isn't the latest (v3.10) and I should go right ahead and update anyway.

My second question of the day... Sorry... I'm trying to get my current Distings all up to date before their new brother arrives on Monday :mrgreen:

cheers, and thanks,

andy

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat May 09, 2020 4:16 am

Yes they're on 3.6.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sat May 09, 2020 4:50 am

os wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:16 am
Yes they're on 3.6.
Thanks os :)

I've gone ahead and successfully updated to 3.10 now.

I was going to try using one of the Mk3's as a wavetable osc, exclusively, but I don't like how leaving the MicroSD card changes how the LEDs work. But that's no bother. I am finding the Mk4's easier to set up for wavetable use and I'm currently experimenting drawing a set of new waves using Sound Forge. Interesting stuff... At nearly 60 yrs I've never ventured into wavetable stuff.

AND, on top of all that, my new EX has literally just been dropped off by DPD two days earlier than expected :mrgreen:

Return to “Expert Sleepers”