disting mk4 firmware announcement thread

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

progendev
Learning to Wiggle

Post by progendev » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:44 pm

Love the new switch algo! Been wanting a simple dual-channel rotator like this for a long time, and don't know of any other examples of this particular kind of switch in Eurorack. It's always 1-> 2 or 2 -> 1.

Also thrilled that the clock can now output 24ppqn. That can make a huge difference with modules like Grids. So many great updates lately!

This switch has the potential to be even more, too! Posted a request in the other Disting firmware thread.

:hail:

fablesofsilence
Common Wiggler

Re: disting mk4 firmware announcement thread

Post by fablesofsilence » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:05 am

Just a quick note: when updating the firmware and Disting doesn't ask for confirmation, it probably means it was unable to read the microSD card. That is exactly what happens if the card is too big (for instance, "64GB" doesn't work. 32GB does).

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:25 am

10th February 2020 - v4.14.1:

* Fixed a problem where the DJ Filter algorithm would output excessive noise in the transition from filtered to unfiltered.
* There have been some under-the-hood enhancements to the SD card playback code. Please watch out for unintended changes of behaviour.

Kattefjaes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:40 am

Was part of the under the hood changes something to do with how the samples are prepared for use (reversed or similar)? After the update, I7 was completely unresponsive for a while though the display looked normal. I was flailing around a bit, but after half an hour and a couple of reboots (possibly counter-productively) it came back to life and was perfectly happy and has worked nicely since.

The card contained a single dir with a playlist and about 8-10 short drum samples- and appears to be totally happy now.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:48 am

I wouldn't have expected any changes of behaviour like that. Were you on 4.14 previously?

If you could zip up the whole card and send it to me I'll see if I can repro it.

Kattefjaes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:02 pm

I was, yes. It was a freak occurrence, and hasn't happened since, which is why I wondered if it was sitting crunching things. I'll certainly zip up the contents for you when I'm next by my rack if it's useful.

(Though only if you want to look for your own curiosity- it's no longer a problem so I don't need help- don't waste the time if doesn't gain you anything.)
Attachments
disting.zip
(820.1 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

TinMyAlons
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TinMyAlons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:20 am

Dear Os,
first and foremost, thank you so much for this awesome module!

After updating the firmware from 4.14 to 4.14.1 the disting is unable to read/find my sample folders except for the wavetable one, this happens in all the audio/sample playback modes... after reverting back to 4.14 everything is working as intended.
Already tried reformatting the card - which is a " SanDisk Extreme 100MB/s U3 V30 A1 32GB microSDHC card" - and did the upgrade - downgrade procedure a couple of times.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:42 am

24th February 2020 - v4.14.2:

* Fixed a bug which could prevent the disting seeing some or all of the files or folders on the SD card.

TinMyAlons
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TinMyAlons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:14 am

thank you, v4.14.2 fixed it for me!

ldezem
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ldezem » Thu May 21, 2020 4:38 am

Thank you very much for the 4.15 update. The fix on ".WAV files containing lots of metadata lag" is brilliant! I have a huge samplepack of tool sounds from a smithy and each file is embedded with detailed metadata (tool name, model, activity, etc.). I've been trying to get the files to work for a year. Bought faster SD cards, toggled the sample rate, remade files. It never occurred that it was a metadata related issue. I'm going to test this over the weekend!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:07 am

10th June 2020 - v4.15.1:

* Fixed a problem where MIDI CCs #33 & #35 would not work as expected in the MIDI/CV algorithm.
* Fixed a crash when a folder had more than the expected number of WAV files in it.
* Fixed a possible crash and SD card corruption when adding a new file to the card.
* Fixed a crash in the Wavetable Waveshaper algorithm when processing large input voltages.
* Fixed a crash in the Granular Pitch Shifter algorithm when the pitch was set very high.

Howling Terror
Common Wiggler

Post by Howling Terror » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:45 am

Much appreciated.

Jademalo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jademalo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:50 pm

Just wanted to say that my b2 upgrade went perfectly, and everything that I normally use seems to be behaving. Upgrade to v4.15.1 went smoothly too.

Thanks for the updates!

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:56 am

That's a lot of clicking 'S', but three mk4s are now updated with B2 and new firmware.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:32 pm

25th June 2020 - v4.16:

* Added the Chaos algorithm.
* For the CV/MIDI algorithm, added the ability to change the CC# sent from input Z, and added the option to also generate CCs from inputs X & Y.
* For the Sample and Hold algorithm, added an attenuator parameter for output B, and added the option to separately specify slew rate for up & down changes.
* Added a slew rate parameter to the Shift Register Random Quantized CVs algorithm.
* Added pulse length parameters to the Shift Register Random Triggers and Shift Register Random Dual Triggers algorithms.
* The scale parameter of the MIDI/CV and Programmable Quantizer algorithms now goes up to 99.
* Improved the behaviour of the Audio Playback with Scrub algorithm when the slew limit parameter was used.
* Fixed (again) a crash in the Granular Pitch Shifter algorithm when the pitch was set very high.
* Fixed a problem where Audio Playback algorithms which use Z to choose the sample might bounce back and forward between neighbouring samples.
* Fixed a problem where the module might stop receiving MIDI.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

upgrade problem

Post by j450nn014n » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:39 am

Hi

I have 2 Mk4, and 2 SD cards formatted fat-32, MBR partitioned. With disting4.bin copied to both cards. I've tried each card in both Mk4 and got a no firmware message. Held down S encoder while powering on. Am upgrading from 4.14. I'm stumped as I've done this many times before without problems. Any suggestions on how to kick it into compliance?
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:43 am

You need to upgrade the bootloader. The big red section on the firmware update page.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:19 am

os wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:43 am
You need to upgrade the bootloader. The big red section on the firmware update page.
Gak. Missed that. Thanks.
Autistic. I like making noises at my workplace. I usually end up breaking something.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:22 am

os wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:43 am
Instructions are slightly confusing though. It says:
Unzip to get the 'image.hex' file, and copy it to a MicroSD card.
Unzip to get the 'disting4.bin' file, and copy it to a MicroSD card.
Do you put them both on the SAME MicroSD card at the same time, or separate MicroSD cards?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:27 am

Either.

j450nn014n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j450nn014n » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:11 pm

os wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:27 am
Either.
I'm too literal. When it comes to grammar. Same way some folks worry about coding. Using an indefinite article versus definite article is like defining something linear versus log. Lucky I can't code. :)

Thanks for confirming it though. Everything updated properly. Cheers! :yay:

henrycarden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by henrycarden » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi, thanks for the update!

I am trying to update from 4.15.1 to 4.16., but the disting still reads that its in version 4.15.1. I downloaded the 4.16 zip file and placed the .bin file which is labeled as "disting4 3.bin" in the SD card and followed the process to update the firmware. It first says "confirm..." then "success," but when I turn on the disting it still says 4.15.1.

Any clue as to what I could be doing wrong?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:17 pm

The problem is that the file is called "disting4 3.bin". It will only work if it's called "disting4.bin".

henrycarden
Learning to Wiggle

Post by henrycarden » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:40 pm

Great, thank you!!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:27 am

9th September 2020 - v4.17:

* Added the Rotary algorithm.
* The MIDI Clock algorithm has been renamed to Clock and its functionality greatly extended, supporting internal tempo generation from a set BPM or tap tempo. It also now serves as a clock divider.
* The Dual Quantizer algorithm now supports selection of notes to quantize to via MIDI.
* The ranges of the attenuator parameters of both Dual Quantizer algorithms have been changed from -1–31 to 0–32.
* Extended the range of the scale and offset parameters for all Envelope algorithms from 8V to 10V.
* All non-dual Envelope algorithms now have an option to output an end-of-cycle trigger pulse.
* The DJ Filter algorithm now has a visual indication of the current filter type and of its centre (dry) position; it also now fades to complete silence at the lowest low-pass filter range.
* Extended the Euro to Buchla Converter algorithm with more generically useful format conversion options.
* The CV/MIDI algorithm now passes its X/Y inputs through to the A/B outputs.
* Added the Y Offset parameter to the Four Quadrant Multiplier algorithm.
* Added the Chance parameter to the Switch algorithm.
* Added Freeze functionality to the Granular Pitch Shifter algorithm.
* The Length parameters of all Shift Register Random algorithms now go up to 32.
* The Range parameter of the Chaos algorithm now extends down to -64 (eight octaves lower than before).

Return to “Expert Sleepers”