Disting Feature Requests

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

cykranosh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cykranosh » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Would it be possible to add an option for the B output to the new Pulsar VCO to have it be a plain boring oscillator waveform (like, switchable between sine/triangle/saw/square)? I'd love to be able to use it as the oscillator in a PLL but the main output is a bit too erratic for the Doepfer PLL to really grab frequency from it like it does with a square or triangle. Maybe negative numbers for the Masking option?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:25 am

Thanks for all the suggestions - all noted.

cykranosh
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Disting Feature Requests

Post by cykranosh » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:03 am

Since the server migration seemed to have deleted my request, gonna post again. Sorry if this already got noted down.

I’d like the new Pulsar VCO to have an option for a plain oscillator output on B. Something like a sine/triangle/saw/square. I wanna use the Pulsar VCO as the oscillator in a PLL and the Doepfer PLL doesn’t really play nice with the Pulsar out and a Square or Triangle at the main pitch would work a lot better. It’d also make it easier to run it into something to generate a suboctave from it. Maybe have negative numbers in the masking menu option?

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:41 am

Algorithm Overview (chart on page 18 rev 4.14)

I noticed I wanted to click on the algorithm name in hope I could jump to the corresponding page in the manual.

If implemented a quick way to jump back(*) to the overview chart might improve the user experience even further, — letting users more easily get to know the Disting. Linear reading of manuals has its limitation as we all know :hihi:

(*) not all PDF readers have this feature implementet
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:36 am

Chord mode — Setting root and scale a quantizer could output pitch CV for 3th and selectable 5th(*) or 7th using precision adder, — where user first tune all oscillators to a major chord from a common CV source.

Steps for the precision adder could be made adjustable for those using alternative tunings.

One of the inputs could be used to trigger chord inversions where a simple 5V gate might switch to first inversion, any voltage above the second.

Using multiple Distings more notes could possibly be passed over MIDI for more outputs? But then users might ask for menus to select chord variations and so on. :razz:

(*) 7th migh be more, or at leat as useful as diminished or augmented 5th for a single Disting implementation.
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:36 pm

I've just been playing around with the audio scrub algorithm (I-6) using the Touche (via FH-2) patched into the Disting and its heaps of fun with drum breaks (particularly "morphing" between different drum break samples).

I noticed that Input X is unused so can this be a trigger or gate input? I have noticed with the current algorithm that the ability to scrub ends when the sample ends and is only triggered again if I switch samples (or patch a cv in the Z input).

Also, is it possible to have the sample slow down below 1? i.e. currently the lowest speed is normal speed, but it would be good to have it down even if it is just to half speed (and have a setting for minimum speed as well).

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:58 am

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:36 pm
I noticed that Input X is unused so can this be a trigger or gate input? I have noticed with the current algorithm that the ability to scrub ends when the sample ends and is only triggered again if I switch samples (or patch a cv in the Z input).
That was fixed in 4.13 - have you updated?
c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:36 pm
Also, is it possible to have the sample slow down below 1? i.e. currently the lowest speed is normal speed, but it would be good to have it down even if it is just to half speed (and have a setting for minimum speed as well).
You should be able to scrub arbitrarily slowly.

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:42 am

Thanks os, turns out I hadn't updated to the latest firmware (4.14).
So I think I sort of get it now - the Y input is sort of like a trigger as well as the position cv.

I think the issue I might have been having was that I was using the wrong format of .wav files (and it pitch wasn't changing with speed).

One thing I have noticed about the latest firmware is that for folders that have large files in them it seems to take longer to load them (this is with the .reversed audio files created). So I have a folder which has about 8 audio files up to 15min each and on version 4.10.3, it would instantly load up (I've just tested it just then).

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:26 pm

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:42 am
Thanks os, turns out I hadn't updated to the latest firmware (4.14).
So I think I sort of get it now - the Y input is sort of like a trigger as well as the position cv.

I think the issue I might have been having was that I was using the wrong format of .wav files (and it pitch wasn't changing with speed).

One thing I have noticed about the latest firmware is that for folders that have large files in them it seems to take longer to load them (this is with the .reversed audio files created). So I have a folder which has about 8 audio files up to 15min each and on version 4.10.3, it would instantly load up (I've just tested it just then).
Is it normal for the scrubbing to only work properly for files under 1min? It seems like anything above 1min just plays without me changing the cv. Also, when changing to another sample, is it normal for the entire sample to be triggered, so if I have a long sample, I have to wait for it to completely finish playing before I can scrub it?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:29 am

No, that doesn't sound right.

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:34 am

os wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:29 am
No, that doesn't sound right.
So I think maybe I have finally made sense of mode I-6. The "play head" doesnt automatically jump straight to a position, instead it plays to that position from its current position.
Changing the slew to 10-15 is required to allow the pitch to change with scrub speed (otherwise it would just stutter at its default pitch like a granular synth).
Can input X be set to something? Like maybe Y offset, slew or even pitch?

Grum
Learning to Wiggle

CV to MIDI CC

Post by Grum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:06 am

Would a CV to MIDI Control Change algorithm be possible?

If so, I'd envisage three CV inputs (Z, X, Y) converted to three different CC outputs, defined by parameters P0,P1 and P2 and sent to the MIDI out channel defined in settings. e.g. Z=0 to 5V, P0=94, Settings>Out=3 would send a CC94 message on channel 3 with value 0-127.

Fingers crossed!
Thanks, Grum

_lampshade_
Common Wiggler

Post by _lampshade_ » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:59 am

small feature request that i think would be useful and probably quickish to implement, B1 sample and hold could we have the option of adding slew to either rise or fall or both? Thanks!

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Post by vantablack » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Vca without internal envelope, to be used with own envelopes would be good. maybe a bypass envelope option in the vca+envelope that's already there?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Would be really nice if we could set Disting to Auto-Load a saved preset in the playlist file so that we don't need to enter the menu and load every time at start up (if we do have a preset that we intend to use every time).

Or just more parameter settings available in the playlist, i personally use the wavetable VCO now so i have some specific settings i use for it that i need to load or just scroll and set every time.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:01 am

It auto-loads preset 0 at power up. If there's something you want it to be doing at every start-up, save it there.

cosmicdice
1-Post Wiggler

Post by cosmicdice » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:41 am

Hello Os,

Your Distings are amazing modules! I had great fun with your shift register and euclidean implementations, they were the only sequencers in my rack when I started my modular journey.
What I would love to see are quantized/unquantized random walk generators based on Brownian motion and Perlin noise.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:10 am

os wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:01 am
It auto-loads preset 0 at power up. If there's something you want it to be doing at every start-up, save it there.
Ah, that's brilliant. Many thanks :)

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:27 am

Would it be possible to have Offset for Wavetable VCO under CV control on Z as an option to tuning?

To be able to control a larger portion of the wavetable i think it's quite useful. I'm playing with it manually as the Y input is morphing between waves, it makes it a lot more interesting than just using CV on Y.

The tuning on Z is not very interesting for CV (imo) i'd gladly take Offset for it instead, or as an option (additional wavetable mode or switchable in the menu for K-1, or as an option in the playlist file). Detune or Phase would also be more interesting for CV than tuning imo!

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:58 pm

Would it be at all possible to add an option to set B to output cosine of whatever waveform is selected for A on the FM VCO algorithm, B-7?
Astronomical Dusk - a web radio show of synthetic delights and collected oddities. Airs monthly at astronomical dusk.

Tboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tboy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:40 am

Dunno if it was requested previously, I couldn’t find it, but would a pre amp be possible with the Disting, to get from line level to Eurorack level?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:50 am

L-7 Mixer gives you 6dB of gain.

If you need a lot of gain, ideally you'd do this in the analogue domain, or you're just amplifying noise.

daveredline
Learning to Wiggle

Post by daveredline » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:05 am

Hi!

Is it possible to implement a Knob CV recorder like this with one channel maybe?
Would be very very nice!

http://flame.fortschritt-musik.de/pdf/M ... 02_eng.pdf
- David

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Is a PLL possible?

Return to “Expert Sleepers”