Disting Feature Requests

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Re: Disting Feature Requests

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:27 pm

The I1 algorithm is fun, but I seem to only be able to select between one of about three wavs with Z. If I have a directory of 100 or so samples, is there any way I can wander between them? I want that "radio station" feel with lots of sources for longform generative stuff...

If not, would it be feasible to have an algorithm like I1, but where the Z was a trigger that just advanced to the next sample in the directory, returning to the first if we're playing the last? Optionally, it'd be amazing if there was a parameter associated with the trigger that let you choose between next or a random sample too- that'd make it even more useful.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:32 am

Z should give you access to all the samples in the folder. Bear in mind that the Z CV is added with the Z knob. If the knob is, say, fully clockwise then a positive CV into Z will have almost no effect.

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:34 am

os wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:32 am
Z should give you access to all the samples in the folder. Bear in mind that the Z CV is added with the Z knob. If the knob is, say, fully clockwise then a positive CV into Z will have almost no effect.
It doesn't. I tried with Z all the way anticlockwise, in the middle and clockwise. What's the voltage range? For the sake of simplicity, I tried feeding it some different waves from an oscillator (Dixie 2+) in LFO mode at about 0.5-2Hz. I also tried running the oscillator output through channel 2 of a Maths (and back out of the direct channel output) so I could modify the voltage a bit.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong, do I need a playlist for I1? I assumed not. I'm running 4.14.1, there's a single directory on the card and it contains 99 wavs currently, I believe they're all 44.1kHz 16 bit mono. The first three play just fine, but I can't select others.

(Happy to PM you a link to a zip of the contents, if you suspect the files, but I suspect something more basic.)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:00 am

Try I-4, where you select the sample with a parameter. It's easier then to see which one you've chosen and how many it thinks there are.

wickfut
Common Wiggler

Post by wickfut » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:58 am

tempo synced gate rachets?

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:30 pm

os wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:00 am
Try I-4, where you select the sample with a parameter. It's easier then to see which one you've chosen and how many it thinks there are.
I-4 can see 0-3, rather than 0-2, oddly.

Edit:

Wondering if my (6 weeks old) Disting might be faulty. I tried formatting and copying the directory onto a Sandisk Ultra 32GB (one which works fine in Gopros and Raspberry Pis) and the Disting just becomes unresponsive when I put it in. If I boot with it in, I just get a black screen after the firmware message.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:18 am

The second thing sounds like you've not formatted the card correctly.

For the first thing, zip up & send the samples and I'll work out why you only see 3 of the 99.

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:48 am

os wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:18 am
The second thing sounds like you've not formatted the card correctly.

For the first thing, zip up & send the samples and I'll work out why you only see 3 of the 99.
Hmm, what do you recommend? As per the manual, I just formatted it FAT32 with windows. I left it on the default 16KB blocksize it selected. There are no no other partitions on the card, and it's using MBR rather than GPT layout. I reformatted it yesterday, prior to posting, in case there was anything weird with the format, copied the files on, so it's actually freshly formatted too.

I have the samples zipped up, I shall PM you a link, thanks!

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:47 pm

Reverb algo with ducking sidechained to the dry signal would be swell. Could do a stereo version, and also a mono version with Y input for sidechain.

joefrost01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joefrost01 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:03 pm

Would be great to have a stereo LPG or stereo pingable filter to use with Morphagene or Clouds to impose some rhythmic patterns on them when making techno.
I couldn’t see a way to do this with the existing algos but would love to hear if a much cleverer wiggler has figured out a way

FrankLacy
1-Post Wiggler

Post by FrankLacy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:19 pm

for the K-3 Wavetable Waveshaper, would it be possible to add a parameter to alter the response of the X input modified by the Z gain?

The default value would be operation as it is now, in which X*Z greater than the rightmost table index folds over to the left side of the table (Foldover or Overflow mode).

The alternate value would limit any X*Z greater than the rightmost index to this index (Limit or Clip or Saturate mode).

I would find this very useful for certain applications. Thanks.

Sr_Velasco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sr_Velasco » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:24 am

Hi,

In the G-8 CV/MIDI algorithm, the parameter 1 could go from 0-127. This way Z would generate the CC that you choose from all the range available, not only the CC#1 as it does now.

Thanks in advance.

Underwood
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Underwood » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:35 am

It would be great if we could define in the playlist (or another txt file) in which folder the audio and mono audio recorder save the wav files. I'd love to sample stuff with the Disting and put it in another sampler but unfortunately that sampler only loads files from a specific folder. So if i could change the folder '!RECORD1' to something else, that would be amazing.

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:01 pm

Duophony fur cv to midi (or is it?)
Resonator clouds parasites inspired, bein open source......that d be awe

explodingPSYCH
Learning to Wiggle

Post by explodingPSYCH » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:33 pm

Request for choking of Dual Audio Playback (I-8) to use with Open and Closed Hi Hat samples.

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:40 am

A method to pitch up down even into reverse for the multisample 2 algo if thats even possible would be a dream for me

+ maybe a more fine more tapey less aliased, more organic pitch for the sample algos. Not sure how realistic that is.

MonkeyModular
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MonkeyModular » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:05 am

A fixed filter bank could be great ? with the possibility to select for A and B which frenquency we want to extract.

Polyterative
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polyterative » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:11 am

I would like a burst generator. Kinda like the befaco

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:36 am

Is there any chance of getting some optional hysteresis or averaging on the tuner? I was trying to tune Plaits yesterday, and it just flickered back and forth so much that I couldn't actually read which notes it was near, it was just a flickering rectangle.

Not sure about the best way to achieve this, mind, any ideas?

Bubbles
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by Bubbles » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:42 pm

os wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:10 am
@Bubbles I could easily add an attenuator parameter for the noise output on B - would that do what you want?
Yes. That would be perfect!!!!
Please let me know if this gets done.
Many thanks.

Hththt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hththt » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:32 am

@os

would it be realistic to add a tape splice mode?
So lets say anything that is recorded by the rec mode or present on the card could be spliced up + pitch shifted with the splices acessible via v/oct?

I think of traditional sampling fun here, plug a record player in, record a clip, add splice points by disting push encoder (while playback the clip), play through the splices via Cv v/oct, beingable to modulate pitch.

(Not sure how start point end point could be solved, maybe 1x press and 2x press?)

That d kill me :omg:

But......it would also help if you say no, bc then i wont wait for it and look for an alternative.
Still i think mk4 has the perfect base for this.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:47 pm

Currius how much program memory are left for algorithm by now? :guinness:
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:56 am

CV to assignable Midi CC (at least via .txt file)

I would love to be able to send modulation from my modular to midi hardware; for example two complex LFOs sent from the modular to Model:Cycles, which only has an LFO per part

As far as I know the only CV to midi conversion methods now are G-6 clock and G-8 Pitch/gate

X and Y cv inputs
Z attenuates either X, Y or both depending on menu settings
A and B mirrors X and Y inputs (kind of using those outputs as a multi)

If not possible to assign Midi CC # by menu (to many CC# numbers?) done via .txt, maybe a mix of these two methods( create a .txt with a list of CC#, like 10 or so, and choose which one to use from Disting menu
Last edited by seta666 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

GIUFJ
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Disting Feature Requests. 2 dreams for the future

Post by GIUFJ » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:21 am

I know there's been a lot of time and effort put into other releases from ES lately.
When the time arrives for a disting mkV, Id love to see a lager module, maybe 8 hp, with 4 in 4 out, making room for even more complex things.

Also, and I've been writing with O via twitter about this. I don't think he liked the idea, or maybe I just didn't sell it that well:-):
Id love to see a 16, 32 or 64 step sequencer with both cv and gate. Kinda like the erica pico with 16 steps.
I know you can just make a midi file, but if you prefer to work away from the computer every now and then.
It could be really easy, actually. one push - next step, turn knob to write quantized value, push again, next step, turn for next quantized value.

Here's the fun part: Once written and stored on the SD card, the Z knob could change the length - live- of the sequence, making it easy to create variations in the riff.
That would be sweet.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:37 pm

Sysex via midi
I do not know if the disting hardware would allow to send sysex messages but would be cool to be possible to store different configurations of other hardware and send them via disting. In my case I would like to swap between different Hexinverter mutant brain configurations without needing the computer

Return to “Expert Sleepers”