Disting Feature Requests

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

dragulasbruder
Common Wiggler

Re: Disting Feature Requests

Post by dragulasbruder » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:59 pm

ringhof wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:46 pm
If not mentioned earlier: a chaotic „double-well“ LFO would be great!
Seconded, can always use more chaos, and VC chaos is even better!

An implementation of the Logistic Equation would be cool as well or instead.
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

Supervillain
Common Wiggler

Post by Supervillain » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 am

Supervillain wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:02 am
Hey, maybe i'm missing something and this feature already exists...
I would like a "a la" EMW Pot Action recorder (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/emw-pot-action-recorder) Algo!
the Disting precision adder with knob record is the most similar i think but i really need a trigger input as well as the possibility to punch record in an already recorded action like in this video

Would it be possible or does it already exists?!

Any Chance?

ringhof
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ringhof » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:16 am

os wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:51 am
I don't know what that is - do you have an example?
Here are some resources to the double-well chaos lfo:
http://ijfritz.byethost4.com/Chaos/ch_cir1.htm

http://www.yorku.ca/marko/PHYS2010/Mapl ... gDemo.html

https://youtu.be/0KU6NPz1S4g i think a „sloth“ from nonlinear circuits works the same way.

would be great to have some kind of similar lfo in the disting! :love:
Bandcamp: Ringhof

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:58 pm

How about an AR envelope with dynamic gate input, where the max output level is determined by the input trigger voltage? It'd be a nice companion for the 0-Ctrl's dynamic gate output and simply a lot of patching :)

(Or a dynamic mode for existing AR envelope algorithms.)

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:04 am

LDT wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:32 pm
LDT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:17 am
Would it perhaps be possible, that an algo with Knob Recorder, such as M5 Stereo Filter, could allow CV input on Z without interupting recorded knob movement?
It would be so nice, to allow both at the same time.
Another idea to get more from Knob Recorder:
I was having fun making very quick knob recordings, almost like snapping my fingers, resulting in sawtooth- or ramp- lfo type modulation of the filter. The sad thing is, that there is no where "to go" from there.
So I was thinking: What if there was a parameter for speeding up or slowing down the recorded knob data?
And one more feature for Knob Recorder:
If a knob recording is active, when you move lower knob again, the recording should not stop playback, but just be offset by movement of the knob. (Just like CV input from Z should offset the recording.) Click on lower knob to stop playback, and click once more to start again. Long click will delete knob recording. Simple and effective.

(Considering that all algorithms now have Knob Recording on the EX (!), I think this would be a really nice feature expansion.)

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:30 am

Idea:
A sweepable eq (or bandpass filter) in tandem with some kind of limiter. Ideally the limiter should have the sound of tape saturation when driven hard.
The idea here, is to have the perfect tool to insert in a feedback loop, e.g. the send and return of a 4ms DLD.
As a delay insert, one would gain control over the tonal change over time (think tape and BB delay) and how fast a feedback will build. And when feedback is building, the limiter will keep things under control, and create a nice “analog” squashed sound.
Controls should most importantly be frq and gain of the tone control. And perhaps a control for how dirty the limiter will sound when hit hard.

I would absolutely use this on permanent basis with my DLD.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:27 am

LDT wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:30 am
Idea:
A sweepable eq (or bandpass filter) in tandem with some kind of limiter. Ideally the limiter should have the sound of tape saturation when driven hard.
The idea here, is to have the perfect tool to insert in a feedback loop, e.g. the send and return of a 4ms DLD.
As a delay insert, one would gain control over the tonal change over time (think tape and BB delay) and how fast a feedback will build. And when feedback is building, the limiter will keep things under control, and create a nice “analog” squashed sound.
Controls should most importantly be frq and gain of the tone control. And perhaps a control for how dirty the limiter will sound when hit hard.

I would absolutely use this on permanent basis with my DLD.
No love for this idea? 😢

cafesinleche
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cafesinleche » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:17 am

Not sure if this has been requested but I mainly use my MKIv for the quantized shift register. I would love it if the length could go higher than 16 steps. At least 32 I think would nice.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:53 am

Hey Oz, a question regarding the quantizer mode on the Disting. Could it be possible to select the scale that the incoming voltage is quantized to via incoming midi notes? The Super Disting has a way to get midi note data into it via the midi input on back.

I proposed a module design to Jason at Instruo a few years ago and he actually built a module for me (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/instruo-p ... ustom-shop) that does exactly this (and a 4 channel version) but it seems that Disting might also be able to accomplish this task as well?

If this were possible with the new Super Disting, the screen could be helpful in displaying the incoming midi notes just as the faux keyboard buttons did on my old design with Jason. The "midi mode" switch on the module selected between if the notes were held on or not when pressed on a keyboard controller (kind of like an auto sustain feature) and would go off when new notes were entered.

Anyway, just a thought and let me know if you feel like discussing the idea further. Really been enjoying the Super Disting so far!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Certainly possible.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:51 am

Especially with the ES, I'd love for it to support SF2 format files as native. At least as a container for wav files.

I'm not suggesting adding full support for every aspect of the SF2 spec. Just use it as a container for wave audio, defining sample placement, range, looping and velocity switching. Apart from being a lot tidier it makes creating your own sample based voices so much easier because you can use something like Polyphone to author and audition things first.

I'm aware of the script you've made to convert SF2 to Disting's wave files in folders format and have used it to convert some of my existing sample libraries but it would be so much simpler if we could just use SF2 directly.

It wouldn't have to support multiple presets. In fact it would probably be better (and less disruptive) to limit support to single preset soundfonts.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:57 am

Unfortunately the way .sf2 files store stereo and/or 24 bit audio just isn't friendly to streaming the data from the card, as the disting does.

The best I could do would be to have the disting automatically convert the .sf2 file into WAVs and store them on the SD card, but then you may as well do that yourself on a computer (which would do it faster too).

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:01 am

Pity.

Oh well, like you say, we can lay out everything as an SF2 and then convert it to Disting format as the last step (which is my current working method anyway)

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:39 am

bc3 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:53 am
Hey Oz, a question regarding the quantizer mode on the Disting. Could it be possible to select the scale that the incoming voltage is quantized to via incoming midi notes? The Super Disting has a way to get midi note data into it via the midi input on back.

I proposed a module design to Jason at Instruo a few years ago and he actually built a module for me (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/instruo-p ... ustom-shop) that does exactly this (and a 4 channel version) but it seems that Disting might also be able to accomplish this task as well?

If this were possible with the new Super Disting, the screen could be helpful in displaying the incoming midi notes just as the faux keyboard buttons did on my old design with Jason. The "midi mode" switch on the module selected between if the notes were held on or not when pressed on a keyboard controller (kind of like an auto sustain feature) and would go off when new notes were entered.

Anyway, just a thought and let me know if you feel like discussing the idea further. Really been enjoying the Super Disting so far!
Exacly this. And I have made a proposal for it earlier in this thread. (Btw, the “normal” Disting also has midi connection pins on the back.)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:44 am

I have some notes based on viewtopic.php?f=16&t=230324#p3240646

Is that the same proposal?

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:38 am

os wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:44 am
I have some notes based on viewtopic.php?f=16&t=230324#p3240646

Is that the same proposal?
Yes correct and apologizes as I did not comb through the entire thread. Thank you!

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:42 am

LDT wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:39 am
bc3 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:53 am

Exacly this. And I have made a proposal for it earlier in this thread. (Btw, the “normal” Disting also has midi connection pins on the back.)
Great! yes, I had the MK4 version before an realized it had midi. I think the larger screen on the "Super" would be useful for displaying incoming midi notes via possibly a graphic of an octave of a keyboard. Different modes/settings could also be selected with the "P" and "V" encoders.

BTechno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BTechno » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:29 am

Hi os,

In algo G8, could outputs A&B pass-though a copy of the X&Y ins? Would be super cool to save on mults when using the cv/midi expander :)
Life is like a box of cables

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:38 am

Yup.

BTechno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BTechno » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:31 am

os wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:38 am
Yup.
Marvellous! Thank you sir.
Life is like a box of cables

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:56 am

In mode M8/Chaos, can you lower the minimum speed of the simulation to maybe 1/16th of what it currently is? Right now the lowest value is still very fast, regardless of what's being fed into X or Y. Thank you!

dragulasbruder
Common Wiggler

Post by dragulasbruder » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Hi Os, sorry to kick a dead horse here, and advance apology for a long-ish post.

There have been numerous requests for a clock divider, and you, among others, have suggested using the Clockable LFO algorithm many times over the last few years. I have done my research, followed this method, and want to report on the results.

The method you and others have outlined works great if you have a steady, symmetrical clock and need a constant division. It's also a solid clock multiplier, of which there are relatively few in Euro. However, I personally use asymmetrical clocks (anywhere from "swung" to "totally random") frequently in my music, and in such cases, the Clockable-LFO-as-clock-divider method doesn't produce a synchronized result.

This is great if you want a "glitchy" feel--but a proper counter algorithm, hopefully one that has the ability to have CV control over the "count-up-to-n" target, will produce reliable pulses on the nth clock, no matter the modulation or symmetry of the clock. As you can imagine, this is crucial for synchronizing chord changes in generative music, among other things.

Also the ability to select tables of counter targets/divisions (integers, evens, odds, multiples of 3, powers of two, primes, etc) in the parameter menu would be amazing! You'd be far ahead of the curve, because to my knowledge, there is not a module that does VC clock division with clock table selection available from the front panel.

The added benefit is that you will never have to answer this request again ;)

Please consider:
CLOCK DIVIDER/COUNTER:
Z: Counter Target Select (aka clock division) (Output A)
X: Clock input
Y: Reset input
A: Clk OutA
B: Clk OutB
P1: Counter Target Select (aka clock division) (Output B)
P2: Counter Target Table Select
[P3?: Input Comparator Threshold for X and Y as long as I'm dreaming]

And while I've got your attention--gonna stoke the Bernoulli Gate requests again (would be dope with selectable logic gate to combine X and Y).
please consider:

BERNOULLI GATE (WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM BOOLE)
Z: Probability of gate output to A or B
X: Gate In1
Y: Gate In2
A: Gate OutA
B: Gate OutB
P1: XY Logic Gate Select (OR, XOR, AND, NOR, XNOR, NAND)
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

nuclearsound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nuclearsound » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:15 am

Hello, for Disting mk4 as well as EX, it would be great to have an extra mode on top of A1+A2 : scaler->adder : in order to change a 0-10V to -5+5V or -10/+10V, like the Frap 321 does.
There are many uses of this, like making a unipolar LFO bipolar etc...

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:43 am

A-1 will already change 0-10V to +/-5V.

casciato
Learning to Wiggle

Post by casciato » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:08 pm

mrerdat wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:56 am
In mode M8/Chaos, can you lower the minimum speed of the simulation to maybe 1/16th of what it currently is? Right now the lowest value is still very fast, regardless of what's being fed into X or Y. Thank you!
Second this!

Unless I'm doing something dumb and misunderstanding...
Look at pictures of my synths and tape recorders and hear the sounds at my Instagram

Return to “Expert Sleepers”