General CV questions

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:48 am

Turning 'B' to 'Off' would be a more efficient way of disabling the mapping.

elisha_gray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elisha_gray » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:38 am

os wrote:Turning 'B' to 'Off' would be a more efficient way of disabling the mapping.
Thanks. I noticed this morning that mappings don't appear to persist when the module is powered off, so I did it this way today.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:41 am

Mappings are stored with the preset.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:03 am

Please test this beta ("v1.4.1beta2") if you are having any problems with parameters randomly resetting.

And indeed if you're not, to be sure I've not broken anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

elisha_gray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elisha_gray » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:34 pm

os wrote:Please test this beta ("v1.4.1beta2")
I've been using beta2 for about 24 hours now, and it has fixed my reset-to-zero problems in Free Playback. Both with D encoder, and with input 4.

Thanks!

Nicken85
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nicken85 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:51 am

Hi,

New to the general but loving it so far. I’m wondering if it’s possible to setup a chord progression in an easy way? Like having major and minor chords mixed. Or do I have to send CV to scale the same time as I send CV to pitch. Would be nice to only use one CV channel for this.

Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:18 am

Not currently, though it's been requested before and will likely be added.

Porkdust
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Porkdust » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Hello, I've looked around and did not see this problem discussed anywhere else. My plastic screen protector has come loose and partially fallen into the module. Couldn't seem to get it to snap back in, any advice?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:02 am

It's glued in, so if it's come unstuck, you need to glue it back in place.

A tiny amount of glue at the edge should do it.

Porkdust
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Porkdust » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:41 am

os wrote:It's glued in, so if it's come unstuck, you need to glue it back in place.

A tiny amount of glue at the edge should do it.

I can handle that. Thank you.

Separate bug note. Drums 9, I get an occasional hit of a tom at random even with nothing patched to the corresponding gate input and even if I have it set up with out that particular sound assigned . I think it's the highest tom but I can confirm if it helps. Most often when on any other page other than the first. Not sure if it forwards to the break out as I have never used drums 9 with midi equipment.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:42 pm

This is for Os or anyone who's using the module.

I'm considering picking one of these up. Despite being old enough to have done so, I never used general MIDI, so pardon the basic questions. I just ran through the soundset in Logic so I could get an idea, but a few things aren't clear.

1. Does the attack of the sound vary with velocity or is it only loudness? For instance, on the first piano setting, will the "hit" of the "hammer" on the "string" be the same regardless of velocity (ie, velocity only changes volume), or does that change? Is there a way to vary it?

2. If not, is a filter available in CV-MIDI mode or VCO mode, or only for some of the other modes? (the manual makes me think the answer is "no").

3. I'm thinking to set it up for poly play with a Linnstrument through a FH-2, I could assign 3 pitch inputs, one velocity/gate, and one CC to control something with channel pressure. Is this how you'd set it up for 3 voice chords or is there a better way?

TIA!
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:25 am

@Porkdust Please try v1.4.1beta2 above and see if that helps.

@JES
1) Fairly sure it's just loudness.

2) Yes, the mode has a 'Cutoff Scale' parameter, and there's also the Mod Wheel which can be set up to control cutoff (see 'Modulation' in the manual).

3) Would it not make more sense just to do that with MIDI?

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks Os. Very helpful as always. OT, but I had reason to use Silent Way for the first time in quite a while and it's such a boon to have that inside my DAW.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Could someone explain me how and what to set up to play the General CV polyphonically over the Midi Breakout with a midi keyboard?

I'm really confused, cause i remember the manual says that the module isn't ready yet to accept midi in, but in a comment on youtube i found that it can be played like a poly synth over the Breakout .. so i have both modules and don't know where to start from ..

Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:02 am

You want to enable the 'Forward MIDI' setting.

Then you basically have a full General MIDI synth at your disposal, that will respond to all the usual notes, program changes, CCs etc.

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 am

os wrote:You want to enable the 'Forward MIDI' setting.

Then you basically have a full General MIDI synth at your disposal, that will respond to all the usual notes, program changes, CCs etc.
I did that before, still didn't worked, but finally found out the problem, it still was with the connection cable :) ... I have connected the right way the modules with the cable but as i'm no expert i didn't realise that both modules have to be connected on the same row too! (the two 4/4 rows of the cable), so i had one side with the pins in the lower row and the other side with the pins in the upper row and this is why it did not work.

So, i could keep these silly things for me, and keep going on, the problem is solved, i learned something, but i wanted to point out that the connection of the Breakout is not as intuitive as it seems, especially not for beginners in technical/electronic stuff and maybe it's not a bad idea to put some clear instructions in the manual. It's not easy to find the answer online too. I found only here an explanation and pictures on how to connect them, and still wasn't enough. :)

Anyways ... i still can't believe how fantastic the General CV is, i absolutely love it :) Thanks Os!

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:33 pm

Yeah, it's wonderful with the Breakout :)

The only problem left for me is with the pitch bend (i use the Arturia Keystep) it's only glitchy and very steppy, it doesn't do pitch bending as expected. Is something that i could adjust to make it work smooth?

Nicken85
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nicken85 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:15 pm

os wrote:Not currently, though it's been requested before and will likely be added.
Awesome! Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:04 am

Anghel wrote:The only problem left for me is with the pitch bend (i use the Arturia Keystep) it's only glitchy and very steppy, it doesn't do pitch bending as expected. Is something that i could adjust to make it work smooth?
Some modes set up pitch bend in quite specific ways according to the needs of the specific mode. Which mode are you using?

elisha_gray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elisha_gray » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:20 am

elisha_gray wrote:
os wrote:Please test this beta ("v1.4.1beta2")
I've been using beta2 for about 24 hours now
Still happy with v1.4.1beta2, after three weeks.

However, I saw this display glitch. It has been mentioned over on the Eurorack Modules thread on the General CV. In my case, it persisted until Misc->Reboot. I've only seen it once.

Just to be clear, I'm pointing out the display wrap-around in both X and Y dimensions... the camera didn't capture the entire "Ray Charles" line but that's a camera artifact.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Porkdust
Learning to Wiggle

v1.4.1beta2

Post by Porkdust » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Everything I have tested seems to be fixed with v1.4.1beta2, will report any findings if they arise.

elisha_gray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elisha_gray » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 pm

Does the General CV 1.4.1 firmware permit the breakout MIDI input to be forwarded to the breakout MIDI output?

I always have Settings -> Forward MIDI=1 and Settings -> Output MIDI=1. I tried changing parameters inside the separate Output MIDI menu item, and it didn't change the behavior.

I can hear the GCV internal synth playing two tunes: One from the GCV MIDI in, and the other from the Micro SD card. But the only MIDI output from the GCV breakout is the tune from the Micro SD card.

I've tried both my breakout, and an Expert Sleepers breakout (assembled, not kit).

I've tried input from an Arturia Beatstep, and from a Disting Mk4 "J3".

Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:28 am

Does the General CV 1.4.1 firmware permit the breakout MIDI input to be forwarded to the breakout MIDI output?
No. So like a MIDI thru function?

elisha_gray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elisha_gray » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:32 am

os wrote:No. So like a MIDI thru function?
Yes, but not something I need. I've been playing with GCV features I haven't used before... Thanks.

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Re: v1.4.1beta2

Post by Anghel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Porkdust wrote:Everything I have tested seems to be fixed with v1.4.1beta2, will report any findings if they arise.
i have the same problems with the beta too, but only when sequencing with Marbles in the +/-5 V range, it's a very useful and musical mode. did you tried to make it jump in this range randomly from very high to bass sounds?

it is reseting in shp mode. if using it only in ascending range (+2 or +5 V) it is stable.

could you confirm please if you have the chance to try it?

Return to “Expert Sleepers”