General CV questions

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:39 pm

os wrote:
Anghel wrote:The only problem left for me is with the pitch bend (i use the Arturia Keystep) it's only glitchy and very steppy, it doesn't do pitch bending as expected. Is something that i could adjust to make it work smooth?
Some modes set up pitch bend in quite specific ways according to the needs of the specific mode. Which mode are you using?
Yes, i was stuck in the SHP mode :) it's all good

Why is that in some modes i can't change the programs if i use just the midi keyboard + Breakout, (the CV to Midi and VCO modes) but in the Chord mode i can? I can scroll, but the sound does not change.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:24 am

A MIDI program change will only take effect on the next note on. So it won't change the sound of the continuously-playing VCO, for example.

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:44 pm

os wrote:A MIDI program change will only take effect on the next note on. So it won't change the sound of the continuously-playing VCO, for example.
it simply does not change programs in these modes. it only changes them if a gate is plugged in in the x input. or, is something wrong with my keyboard, but i guess not if the chords mode works.

and there's somethings else too .. if used with the midi breakout + midi controller, it doesn't change the sounds if a random cv is plugged in in the 1 input for random programs, for example. it only shows that is scrolling trough the list but no sound change. even if it's a sequence or note by note test. it needs the gate and then it works.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:28 am

Yes that's true. It's an artefact of how this mode was first implemented. It needs to be updated to work the same way as the later-added modes.

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:03 am

I try to record an EP with the GCV as one of the main voices and i can confirm that is resetting no matter what i said before (only in the +/-5 V mode with Marbles - it resets in any mode (+2 V or +5 V) after a while with the beta update - i work with this module 6 hours per day). Yeah ... it's impossible for the moment to rely on it for serious recording sessions. Suddenly i loose sustain and everything and have to reload presets ... Unfortunately i'll have to wait for an update to release the pieces made with this module, but will be great in the end, i'm sure.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:06 am

Could you explain what the ±5V / +2V / +5V modes are? I have no experience of Marbles.

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:59 am

os wrote:Could you explain what the ±5V / +2V / +5V modes are? I have no experience of Marbles.
sure!

this is the module

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/marbles/

this is the official description

"Random voltage generator
3 outputs, either clocked by the 3 outputs of the random gate generator, or by a common external clock.
Distribution control: SPREAD control, scanning between constant, bell-shaped, uniform or discrete distributions; and BIAS control biasing the generated voltage towards the bottom or top of the voltage range.
Adjustable range: 0 to +2V (for melodies), 0 to +5V, -5V to +5V."

and from the manual:
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/marbles/manual/

"J. Output voltage range. 0 to +2V, 0 to +5V or -5 to +5V."

and in real life, you have prerecorded scales, say a major scale, from which this sequencer chooses randomly notes creating random melodies you can lock anytime. You can also choose the number of steps (notes) from 1 - 16 per locked random sequence so the module can be locked in a 10 step/notes sequence for example. The three modes just choose in an ascending fashion the voltages (0 to +2 Volts or 0 to +5 Volts range - less problems with the General CV) or both ascending and descending voltages (+5/-5 Volts - where the General CV usually resets almost instantly).

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Anghel wrote:
os wrote:Could you explain what the ±5V / +2V / +5V modes are? I have no experience of Marbles.
sure!

this is the module

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/marbles/

this is the official description

"Random voltage generator
3 outputs, either clocked by the 3 outputs of the random gate generator, or by a common external clock.
Distribution control: SPREAD control, scanning between constant, bell-shaped, uniform or discrete distributions; and BIAS control biasing the generated voltage towards the bottom or top of the voltage range.
Adjustable range: 0 to +2V (for melodies), 0 to +5V, -5V to +5V."

and from the manual:
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/marbles/manual/

"J. Output voltage range. 0 to +2V, 0 to +5V or -5 to +5V."

and in real life, you have prerecorded scales, say a major scale, from which this sequencer chooses randomly notes creating random melodies you can lock anytime. You can also choose the number of steps (notes) from 1 - 16 per locked random sequence so the module can be locked in a 10 step/notes sequence for example. The three modes just choose in an ascending fashion the voltages (0 to +2 Volts or 0 to +5 Volts range - less problems with the General CV) or both ascending and descending voltages (+5/-5 Volts - where the General CV usually resets almost instantly).
having said that every note decision is fast and random, from top to bottom, i can't say in which zone exactly the GCV doesn't like to be. for sure in the 0 to -5 V range it resets faster, but it's hard to tell exactly, on which notes etc.

that's all i know :)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:53 am

Thanks. Are you putting the negative voltages into inputs 1-3? As I'm sure you know they don't respond to negative voltages, and while it won't cause damage, it might be causing the glitches.

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:03 am

os wrote:Thanks. Are you putting the negative voltages into inputs 1-3? As I'm sure you know they don't respond to negative voltages, and while it won't cause damage, it might be causing the glitches.
I retested it right now, with only pitch CV (input 4) and gate. It resets the preset. I made the test using the program 1 (piano) with attack scale at 80. After a minute the attack is 0 or 64, it doesn't show me, but the sound is with full attack. Usually the sustain setting saved at 1 (on) resets to 0, and so on.

I made a video too, if you want to see how is happening let me know.

(btw, this is happening with the other modes too - the "only positive" voltages modes +2V or +5V - but not so quickly .. This mode resets faster, but the problem is always there in my case)

Thanks!
Last edited by Anghel on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:14 am

It would be helpful to see the video, thanks.

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:40 am

os wrote:It would be helpful to see the video, thanks.
I use the free Wetransfer.com, if you need it elsewhere let me know.

https://we.tl/t-3rO6jE7p10

Here's the download link. At minute 1:18 and 1:44 the attack is reset to default.

PS. I also have this in my wish list regarding resets - when removing a jack, to reset to the saved value of the preset not to 0 or default. It could be so jam friendly if i could use let's say a random signal and then remove it on the beat instantly and have back the preset ... right now i have to reset manually every input, including the programs after a modulated jam on them, instead of having back instantly my saved instrument i always have the piano ...

Maybe this means somehow solving the general reset problem too i guess .. by returning to what is saved. Don't know ..

It is possible?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:55 am

Thanks. Is a CV mapped to control the attack scale in that video? (I can see no such CV is connected, but is one mapped?)

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:43 am

os wrote:Thanks. Is a CV mapped to control the attack scale in that video? (I can see no such CV is connected, but is one mapped?)
No, there's nothing connected (or mapped) to anything else then pitch and gate.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:49 am

OK, this is a different problem then. The beta release aims to fix problems caused by mapped parameters being reset by spurious ADC readings from the CV inputs. This appears to be internal MIDI settings suddenly resetting, with no related CV input (connected or unconnected). Is that right?

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:11 am

os wrote:OK, this is a different problem then. The beta release aims to fix problems caused by mapped parameters being reset by spurious ADC readings from the CV inputs. This appears to be internal MIDI settings suddenly resetting, with no related CV input (connected or unconnected). Is that right?
Yes

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:57 am

That's very puzzling then. Which algorithm were you using in that video?

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:02 pm

os wrote:That's very puzzling then. Which algorithm were you using in that video?
SHP

Porkdust
Learning to Wiggle

Output channel

Post by Porkdust » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:30 pm

I apologize if this is discussed elsewhere but, I was not able to find it. Is it possible in CV to Midi to change the midi output channel? I am sending midi to a QY100 and was wanting to record on to various channels. I can just use programmable mode yes but you already have everything laid out so nicely with Cv to midi mode. I understand why this will not work with other modes such as granular, sheppard and additive. Another work around is unison voices and only recording the channel I want but this makes it difficult to hear what is happening until I am finished. Plugging this thing into the qy100 has helped realize the clever and ingenious product you have created here and I thank you for that.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:30 am

The CV To MIDI and VCO modes manage their own MIDI channels to deal with unison, pitch bending etc. If you want a specific MIDI output the Programmable mode is the one to use.

Porkdust
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Porkdust » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:14 am

os wrote:The CV To MIDI and VCO modes manage their own MIDI channels to deal with unison, pitch bending etc. If you want a specific MIDI output the Programmable mode is the one to use.

Very well then. Thank you os.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:56 am

The above v1.4.1beta2 is now officially released as v1.4.1.

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/generalcvf ... dates.html

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:23 am

To the best of my understanding, after going through the manual once there is no mode that can:

- layer sounds (like using two drum sounds to be triggered from the same input)
- allow for one VCO and a few drum sounds to be played simultaneously.

Especially the latter seems like a nice thing to do. GM allowed for different sounds per MIDI channel if I'm not mistaken. With 9 inputs there's enough space to have a Pitch, Velocity, two more parameters for the VCO, and 4 drum triggers and one velocity input for the drums.

Just an idea worth considering I guess. :hmm:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:02 am

Chord mode will layer sounds, though not drum sounds.

You could do both in Programmable mode.

Anghel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anghel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm

os wrote:The above v1.4.1beta2 is now officially released as v1.4.1.

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/generalcvf ... dates.html
Thanks a lot for the update! I did tested quickly the new version, and so far (again with Marbles ..) in the +2V and +5V range is stable, i will test it more tonight, but in the +/- 5V mode the "Range" of the SHP mode is still resetting the saved preset ..

here's the video:
https://we.tl/t-GPUnpn8C3z

Same thing, piano with long attack and sustain, only pitch and gate, turning the "Range" resets to default or zero, don't know, it shows only the saved parameters.

I tried with cv's the rest of the inputs too, all at the same time (it's a standard SHP mode, everything is as programmed), and so far only the "Range" is making problems.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”