General CV questions

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

amc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by amc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:45 am

where I can find the latest firmware?
via expert sleepers website the latest firmware stated as 1.4.3 is actually downloading 1.3.1 version.

Thanks.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:04 am

The download seems to work for me. How are you determining that it's the 1.3.1 version that you're getting?

Naive Teen Idol
Common Wiggler

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:44 am

amc wrote:where I can find the latest firmware?
via expert sleepers website the latest firmware stated as 1.4.3 is actually downloading 1.3.1 version.

Thanks.
Are you installing the firmware? Or just putting it on the SD card? I think I forgot to do this recently and hadn't realized it initially.

Milanski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Milanski » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi All,
Just purchased this module and a factory built MIDI breakout initially mainly for the quad CV to MIDI function so I can send CV chords from the ACL Sinfonion to my external MIDI synths.
I have used Program mode to map incoming CVs to inputs 1 thru 4 with a gate incoming on X. the jacks light up indicating signal but I'm not getting any MIDI out.
I have enabled MIDI, checked the ribbon cable connection, checked MIDI volume is up and all channels transmitting on channel1 (synth receiving omni) but am not getting any MIDI signal from the breakout. I've tried the only 2 MIDI synths I have.
Any ideas?
I'm on 1.4.3
Cheers!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:05 am

Have you enabled 'Output MIDI' in the settings?

Is the module making any sound itself?

Have you double checked the orientation of the connection to the breakout?

Milanski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Milanski » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi Os,
Yes to all of the above.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 am

Have you tried enabling 'Forward MIDI' in the settings and sending MIDI *to* the module?

Milanski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Milanski » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 pm

os wrote:Have you tried enabling 'Forward MIDI' in the settings and sending MIDI *to* the module?
Just got round to trying this again...

I had done the above also so, went back and checked the ribbon cable orientation again and managed to get signal by inverting it (might be worth a diagram in future rev manuals?).

Only issue now is that I'm not getting chords only an arpeggiation. I double checked the signals coming from the Sinfonion (into separate VCOs) and they make chords as expected. Am I missing a parameter somewhere deeper in the settings?

Thanks!

Milanski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Milanski » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:10 pm

To clarify, I've used Program Mode to receive 4 v/oct CVs into inputs 1-4 (tho realise I should change this to 4-7) and a gate in at X feeding all 4 channels. All channels output on MIDI channel 1 with velocity set to 127.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:56 am

Can you capture the MIDI being generated into a computer (e.g. https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/) so we can examine it?

Milanski
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Milanski » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:03 am

Yep, sure. I'll give that a go at the weekend hopefully.
Thank you.

Edit: If it helps problem solve, the outputs of the module are doing the same thing.

Naive Teen Idol
Common Wiggler

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:11 am

Cobramatic wrote:
Cobramatic wrote:
Naive Teen Idol wrote:
Os, re. the MT-32 alternate soundset, would it be possible to make that accessible via the settings or somewhere else? I'm finding it a bit of a pain to figure out how to send over MIDI.
I believe the way to do this is by sending the Bank Change message set to 127.
I've had my General CV for a couple of weeks now.
I have to say that, apart from the minuscule screen, it is a genius of a module.

Anyway, I can now confirm that you CAN access that un-documented 2nd sound bank.
As i mentioned previously you DO need to send a Bank Change message set to 127.

Also accessing the different Drum kits is simple too - just use a Program change message for them.

I'm still just scratching the surface - you can do a hell of a lot with sound sculpting etc once you get into it.
So, a quick followup on this ... as noted, you CAN access the un-documented 2nd sound bank -- this is actually documented in the Dream manual linked upthread but only accessible via MIDI (for me, in Live, it requires me to set the Bank to 128). But there are no additional drum kits beyond the 5 that you can access in the Drum and Drum9 mode.

Naive Teen Idol
Common Wiggler

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Os, is it possible to implement the Mic Input given the current setup? If I’m reading the chip manual correctly (and I may not be), it is possible to route the signal through the (really quite excellent) effects.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:00 am

You'll notice there's an undocumented jumper link on the PCB. That feeds into the mic input. So it's possible but I've not played with it myself yet.

BluYote
Learning to Wiggle

Polyphonic functionality/feature request?

Post by BluYote » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:57 am

Hello wigglers! I just received my module and I was wondering if there is any type of mode available (or maybe to add/hack in a future update) to play the module polyphonically via multiple v/octave inputs? Basically I have a WMD Arpitecht with the Triad expansion producing up to 4 pitch signals and 1-2 gates and thus I would like to have them all go to the General CV. Could maybe use 4 of the inputs as v/oct for notes in the chord and "X" for gate (basically the existing Chord mode but with inputs 1-3 set to v/oct for the chord notes just like input 4) or maybe 4x pitch and 4x gate since there are 9 available inputs as far as I know. Alternatively in General CV's VCO mode just have 4 v/oct inputs and I will use an external VCA. Obviously the module is polyphonic via external midi but if I could get some hacky chord action using just a lot of v/oct inputs that would be groovy. Thanks!

Naive Teen Idol
Common Wiggler

Re: General CV questions

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:30 am

BluYote wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:57 am
Could maybe use 4 of the inputs as v/oct for notes in the chord and "X" for gate (basically the existing Chord mode but with inputs 1-3 set to v/oct for the chord notes just like input 4) or maybe 4x pitch and 4x gate since there are 9 available inputs as far as I know.
You can do this in Programmable Mode.

BluYote
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BluYote » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:35 pm

You can do this in Programmable Mode.
Oh heck I didn't see that it could be routed to the internal synth engine. That will work perfect for me then, cheers!

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:03 pm

Can Programmable Mode send Pitch CV and Gate to two different internal modes simultaneously using 4 inputs? For example, Arp Mode with one sound, and Chord mode with a different sound? Essentially, I want to play 2 parts from 1 module.

Also, do the Arp and Chord modes force the note selections to match the quantizer scale? Or is it possible to select a chord that would clash with the quantizer?
Thanks..

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:37 am

You can only have one of the GCV's modes active at once. The Programmable mode can go direct to the underlying GM synth - not to the layer on top of that that does the chords etc.

Modes with a scale force the notes into the chosen scale.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:05 am

os wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:37 am
The Programmable mode can go direct to the underlying GM synth - not to the layer on top of that that does the chords etc.
how do I set this up? - it's not obvious either from reading the manual or this thread (last 5 pages anyway)

I currently don't have the midi expander - soon, but not yet!!

do I need this, for this mode to work properly?

I have v/oct into 4,5,6,7 (from sinfonion chord section) and gate into x (from Marbles)

I have no output from the module

I suspect it is related to the midi settings - as in VCO mode everything seems to work fine

Also when in this mode how do you select the program on the internal sytnhesizer engine? is it via a program change message that I can map to a cv input? and use say a channel of Maths or Shades - would be much easier if you could map that to an encoder!
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:32 am

You don't need the MIDI expander.

By default input 4 is a pitch and input X is a gate. You just need to turn on 'Note A Mode'.

You'll have to map a program change to a CV (or send in a program change from the MIDI expander).

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:32 am

Ok thanks Os... that’s great

So I should set note A, B,C,D modes to on for a 4 voice chord and gate to x for all

And set program change to cv in 1 - so I can select the program with maths channel 2/3

Will try when I get home!!

and it worked perfectly!!!

would it be possible to display the program of the internal synth engine for 5-10 seconds on change of program and make one of the encoders assignable to program change in a possible future firmware update? it would make this usage of this mode much easier
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

Porkdust
Learning to Wiggle

Feature Request

Post by Porkdust » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:26 pm

A few ideas:

One, Is there access to the effect parameters via cc's? Could we send voltages to them? Could be interesting to abuse the delay and modulation in there while playing via the breakout or added to the playback modes.

Two, Some type of syncable midi delay with multiple "heads" I guess I could put this together in programmable mode with clocks and envelopes sent to velocity but I bet you could come up with something really clever. Like Program spread on the delay tails, mimicking a filter in the delay line with velocity that fade out lower or higher pitches first and octave/shimmer effects.

Three, Turing machine and shift registers. I do this now in Programmable mode with Disting and Ornament and Crime but would be cool to free up those for other duties. I need to put more thought into this one.

Four, I think this one has been covered but micro tonal scales would be interesting. Would be pretty complex I guess figuring out pitch bend ratios.

Thank you for General CV. I constantly find new uses for it.

cerberus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cerberus » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:42 am

I'm having trouble loading midi files onto an SD card. I followed the instructions in the manual, but it keeps telling me "No Midi Sets"? Any tips or advice on the file architecture required?

TIA

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:24 am

See page 55 of the user manual. Have you made the setlist.txt file?

Return to “Expert Sleepers”