General CV questions

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler

Re: General CV questions

Post by SlagRalden » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:00 pm

an option for a midi reset message at the beginning or end of every loop of a file could be handy too

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:55 am

What would a MIDI reset be exactly? An all notes off?

Such data could be baked into the file.

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler

Post by SlagRalden » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 pm

Sorry that wasn't clear, I meant Midi clock start/stop messages....
so (in clocked or free playback modes) when the General CV gate goes to 1 a start message is sent out and when the GCV gate goes to 0 a stop message is sent out

I don't believe you can embed start/stop messages into midi files (but i could be wrong... PLZ let me know if there is a way!!)...

would really help with connectivity with other sequencers etc.

bentoncbainbridge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:06 pm

hi @os and General CV experts, I'm looking to control a Yamaha Disklavier piano with CV to MIDI; I would like to use the various modes (Arpeggiator, Shepard's tone, etc.) to play the piano.

I see from the manual that there's a global preference setting to pass along the internal MIDI to the MIDI breakout panel, and there's a "Programmable Mode" so I can assign MIDI routing specific to the Disklavier. However AFAIK that wouldn't be enough to actually play the piano's 3 foot pedals. Is it possible to assign a custom MIDI mapping AND use the other modes, like Chord and Shepard's Tone/Risset?

Aside from converting gate, Note CV and Velocity to standard MIDI Note On / Note Off messages, I need to send the following pedal CCs:

CC#64 = sustain pedal
CC#66 = sostenuto pedal
CC#67 = soft pedal

Ideally, all three of these pedal CVs and the Velocity CV would be assigned to the +/-5V input jacks so I don't have to deal with scaling them. (or, did I miss that there's a scaling function in General CV?)

Note that the Sustain is not an On/Off function as seems to be the default with General CV; it's a variable 0-127 signal that controls how much the pedal is depressed.

thanks in advance for your advice!
Rue Bainbridge premieres "Iner Plats" in Vector Hack 2020 Screening 1

Naive Teen Idol
Common Wiggler

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:13 am

bentoncbainbridge wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:06 pm

Is it possible to assign a custom MIDI mapping AND use the other modes, like Chord and Shepard's Tone/Risset?
I don’t *think* this is possible – however, you could try a relatively simple workaround using MIDI conversion software like MIDI Pipe if you use a DAW. For instance, for the Shepherds Tone mode, you could send your CV into the Mod Wheel input (input 7) and then set MIDI Pipe to translate CC #0 to # 66 (and so forth). I believe You would need to make sure the GCV is forwarding MIDI in this scenario.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:56 am

bentoncbainbridge wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:06 pm
Is it possible to assign a custom MIDI mapping AND use the other modes, like Chord and Shepard's Tone/Risset?
It's not, and some of those modes rely on manipulating the General MIDI engine with NRPNs and sysex, so just piping the MIDI out to a piano is unlikely to give you a good result.

Dare I suggest *two* General CVs and a MIDI merge box? One for the note generation, and another in programmable mode for the pedals.

Actually a disting mk4 might do the pedals for you - it can convert 3 CVs to CCs.

bentoncbainbridge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:31 am

Thanks for the info, @os. So, two General CVs with two MIDI Expanders, or a pair of MIDI Expanders with a General CV and a Disting Mk4 or a Disting Ex.
Rue Bainbridge premieres "Iner Plats" in Vector Hack 2020 Screening 1

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:34 am

Yup. Maybe start with just the General CV and a breakout and see how you get on.

ralph327
1-Post Wiggler

Post by ralph327 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:01 pm

Is there anyway to enable Midi Output on a per-preset basis? Or, is there a CC message or SYSEX message I can send to General CV to turn Midi Output on or off from a DAW or controller? Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:15 am

The main enable/disable is a setting, not in the preset, but the Output MIDI menu (manual page 60) is per-preset.

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler

Post by SlagRalden » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:01 pm

had a hard time searching for this so maybe this has already been answered....

is there a list of CC messages that the General CV's synth engine will respond to and what they do?

i've looked up the general midi cc implementation chart and most of it makes sense but it has stuff like "#80 general purpose" and "#6 data entry" and was curious if there was something specific those types of CCs do inside this synth....

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler

Post by SlagRalden » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:13 pm

So I saw there is an expansion header on the back (labeled gt-1 i think) and it got me thinking.... would it be possible to have an expander module for the drum9 mode where each drum's audio could be output separately? not sure if this is possible given the nature of the module/chip but would be REALLY helpful since i like to process my drum sounds..... either way I'm in love with this module and will no doubt be buying a second one soon!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:19 am

It's not possible, sorry.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”