FH-2 Firmware Feature-Requests

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 pm

I will try that exact thing, thank you @os :)

a|x

Seaweed Sound
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Seaweed Sound » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:37 am

I have a question about the following workflow:

Say the FH-2 is configured as 8x direct MIDI CC outs. You wiggle the controller knobs which sets the 8 outs to various voltages.

Now you want to switch to a different config which is 8 drum trigger outputs. After loading the new config the previous voltages still remain on the outputs.

It appears loading a preset is the way to clear them? So you're supposed to separately load a preset and a config? Is there anyway to tie configs & presets together into complete module "states"?

I could see having an option for a config to auto-load or somehow be tied to a specific preset being useful.

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:52 am

+1 for that.

Videographics
Common Wiggler

Post by Videographics » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:29 am

midilifestyle wrote:I find myself wishing the FH-2's inputs could be used for more things, like changing LFO speed, clock tempos and multiples, euclidean patterns, etc.
I'll second this! Personally, I'd love to be able to control the arpeggiators with these inputs. But in addition to being able to control the FH-2's internal functions, I'd most like the FH-2 inputs to be able to control external MIDI devices and virtual MIDI synths in a computer. And maybe, if its technically feasible, have the FH-2 inputs linked to inputs in things like VCV Rack and Max/MSP.

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:33 pm

midilifestyle wrote:I find myself wishing the FH-2's inputs could be used for more things, like changing LFO speed, clock tempos and multiples, euclidean patterns, etc.
Remember the FH-2 only has 2 inputs. If you want a CV-MIDI converter, you'd probably be better investing in something like the Doepfer A-192 or A-192-2, or alternatively, Expert Sleepers own General CV which is an excellent module when used for it's primary purpose, but can also operate as a multi-channel CV-MIDI converter, when teamed with the MIDI Breakout module.

javes777
Common Wiggler

Post by javes777 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 am

Hi Os,

Any chance we could get random trigger skipping % on the euclidean patterns?

Thanks

Kris

Videographics
Common Wiggler

Post by Videographics » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:50 am

I’d really like to see the arpeggiator track velocity as well as pitch in the “as played” mode.

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 pm

Hello.
I recently aquired the FH-2 planning to add it to my live setup besides the ES-8 (which I already use for live performances with big satisfaction since a couple of time now).

The idea as you guess was to use Ableton Live not only as a sample playback engine (thanx to the ES-8) but also as a MIDI sequencer thanx to the FH-2.

I unfortunately encountered a problem I can't solve in a clean way.

What happens is that no matter what I've tried to set up (positve or negative latency of audio or MIDI tracks, positive or negative error compensation in the system preferences, positive or negative general latency in preferences), the looped MIDI sequences form Ableton are trigged and heard BEFORE the actual timing... Which means negative latency... :woah:

The only way I could solve this issue was to add a short gap at the beggening of my MIDI clips (loops)... which doesn't look like a good solution to me...

I was looking in the manual of the FH-2 if by any chance I could find a delay regarding specific MIDI messages...

Could this be emplemented?
Or is there any other thing I could do in Ableton in order to get rid of this negative latency...?

Cheers

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Well,
Actually somebody suggested a solution to this in this thread
Hopefully my previous post can just be forgotten... :roll:
Last edited by henrry on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:56 am

I'm afraid my concern is still relevant...
:sadbanana:

JUST GOT A FEEDBACK
The solution seems valid only if I'm willing to use Ableton as a monitor for my modular voice. This means every hardware sequenced by Ableton should go through Ableton as audio and out again through master or a separate channel out of my audio interface...

Maybe this sounds fanatic, but I will loose the all analog sound during performance...
The advantage is that I can use Ableton as a sound processor... But this is not what I plan... I may quickly run out of audio in and out whith my audio interface... and mixtable in the studio...

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:41 pm

Solution found.
You can ignore my request :oops:

marcusgho
Learning to Wiggle

Post by marcusgho » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:43 am

FH-2 LFO Parameters

I been fiddling with the LFO parameters and this is a few improvements I think should be implemented

1) description discrepancy between user manual v1.5 and configuration tool v1.5

Direct output level (manual) = Direct control (config tool)
Multiplier (manual) = LFO Level (config tools)

2) no detailed explanation in the LFO Section in the manual about the following (which I had to check clock section and trigger section for more details)

2A) tempo base. There is no documentation on relationship between midi cc and the 24ppqn pulse. I am a beginner and when I read the clock section of the manual, I deduced that the relation is similar.

2B) tempo mult: same issue as above. This was frustrating as my midi controller was set from 0-127. I had no idea what was going on until I reduced the range to something more realistic like 1-8

2C) the gate level in the config site has no explanations in the manual. I had to decide the relation from the trigger section

Please update the user manual in your next firmware

3) i really like the real time updating of the Euclidean patterns. Perhaps it is possible to implement a display update of the LFO, esp the speed settings/tempo base/tempo mult

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:19 am

Thanks for the feedback.

xybre
Learning to Wiggle

All Note Off & Linnstrument Weirdness

Post by xybre » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:58 am

An All Notes Off (particularly for gates, but it might be nice to 0-out everything) function that could be mapped to the back button would be great.

I find myself needing this because of bugs related to my Linnstrument. One is that when I arpeggiate from the Linnstrument (using the Linnstrument's internal arp, not the FH-2's) in channel-per-row mode, sometimes a gate will stick. It will require me restarting the module or bashing the Linnstrument's offending row to unstick.

The second problem I'm running into is that when arpeggiating, sometimes one of the CV outs will "flicker". Causing the frequency to shift wildly out of tune for that CV output (it happens most consistently with CV 2 and CV 7) for a brief moment before shifting back into tune.

I assume that the Linnstrument is just sending way too much data when it is arpeggiating but it's weird that only 2 channels seem to be the ones most greatly affected.

I'm on 1.7 FH-2 [/list]firmware and latest Linnstrument firmware.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Were the Launchpad-as-sequencer features (like the FH-1) ever implemented? I see that they were mentioned over a year ago, but didn't find anything in the manual. I had assumed that this would be implemented since the FH-2 is billed as a replacement, but does anyone know for sure? I have only seen this old YouTube video:

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:27 am

No, the FH-2 doesn't have that.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Thank you for adding preset switching via program changes in the latest firmware.

I'm still wishing for a logical-AND relationship (possibly selectable as a configuration option) between (a) gates/triggers coming from note-on events and (b) gates/triggers coming from Euclidean patterns, when gates/triggers share the same output as Euclidean gates/triggers. That's how it works with Yarns and I really miss being able to set my pitches and my Euclidean gates on the same MIDI track, without the pitches (which necessarily come with note-on events) adding more gates to the Euclidean pattern (as happens with whatever summing or logical-OR relationship is used in the FH2).

It would also be nice if the envelopes could reset to 0V (again, maybe as a configuration option if choice is desired) when new note-on events happen while the envelopes are still in the release stage. I appreciate that with the FH2 I can use "velocity gates" to both trigger other envelopes and scale their amplitude via VCAs, but it could work even better if I could use the FH-2's velocity-scaled envelopes for this purpose because the release stage would prevent stepping in the final envelope's amplitude. Even when Mono Retrig is set to 0, in this scenario the FH2 envelopes don't produce the rising edge required to trigger other modules.

I also think the documentation could be slightly improved around where the "center" is for the transpose parameter (the one for all individual converters, not the global transpose or the arp transpose parameters). The "center" being the point where no transposition occurs, and from which you can determine how many semitones up or down you're transposing the pitch when you set the CC value. I would think it's maybe 63 or 64 (middle of 0-127), but that doesn't seem to be the case, or maybe I'm losing the plot somewhere.

BWBKc6VyUr
Common Wiggler

Post by BWBKc6VyUr » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:47 am

I have read a few posts explaining that the sequencer feature is being re-implemented from scratch for the FH-2 firmware. About that:

1. Question: What is the status of this feature? Is it likely likely to be available soon-ish? (or ever dropped?)
2. Feature request: It would be realy nice to have a TB303-style step sequencer that can output not only pitch CV & gate signals, but also accent & slide CV signals. Would you ever consider implementing this?

In addition to that, I would also like to +1 the follwing requests if the features are not available yet:
javes777 wrote:Any chance we could get random trigger skipping % on the euclidean patterns?
Videographics wrote:I’d really like to see the arpeggiator track velocity as well as pitch in the “as played” mode.
(although maybe optionally for the latter)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:51 am

There's nothing to report on the FH-2 sequencer.
I’d really like to see the arpeggiator track velocity as well as pitch in the “as played” mode.
This was added in 1.7.

Videographics
Common Wiggler

Post by Videographics » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:01 am

os wrote:There's nothing to report on the FH-2 sequencer.
This was added in 1.7.
Just realized I never properly thanked you for that, os. Thank you!!! :yay: :tu: :banana:

BWBKc6VyUr
Common Wiggler

Post by BWBKc6VyUr » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:38 pm

os wrote:There's nothing to report on the FH-2 sequencer.
Ok thanks. Just to be clear, does this mean the sequencer is still in the books for the FH2?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:52 am

It's on the to-do list but I can't promise a schedule.

BWBKc6VyUr
Common Wiggler

Post by BWBKc6VyUr » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:52 am

Fair enough, thanks! :tu:

Triscus
Common Wiggler

Post by Triscus » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:36 am

I would like to change the patterns of my digitakt via program change messages.

Would it be possible to implement sending those messages via CV/Midi?

Maybe it could be possible to select a range of values and make them selectable via CV-Adressing. Everytime the value changes, a program change message is sent on the selected MIDI channel.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:35 am

That would be easy enough. I've made a note.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”