FH-2 Firmware Feature-Requests

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Triscus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Triscus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:11 pm

thank you :yay:

kuuma
Learning to Wiggle

Re: FH-2 Firmware Feature-Requests

Post by kuuma » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:43 am

I would love to see visual feedback on the screen for Envelope adjustments. The screen is so valuable for displaying steps and rotation on Euclideans, Arpeggiator, and LFO parameters and it helps me dial in what's needed. But also since I use encoders and not knobs, it's not always obvious where the ADSR settings on my envelopes are. If we could see an approximation of each stage (like on Ableton's operator synth for example) as we adjust them it would be a big help.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Re:

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:11 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:18 pm
Thank you for adding preset switching via program changes in the latest firmware.

I'm still wishing for a logical-AND relationship (possibly selectable as a configuration option) between (a) gates/triggers coming from note-on events and (b) gates/triggers coming from Euclidean patterns, when gates/triggers share the same output as Euclidean gates/triggers. That's how it works with Yarns and I really miss being able to set my pitches and my Euclidean gates on the same MIDI track, without the pitches (which necessarily come with note-on events) adding more gates to the Euclidean pattern (as happens with whatever summing or logical-OR relationship is used in the FH2).

It would also be nice if the envelopes could reset to 0V (again, maybe as a configuration option if choice is desired) when new note-on events happen while the envelopes are still in the release stage. I appreciate that with the FH2 I can use "velocity gates" to both trigger other envelopes and scale their amplitude via VCAs, but it could work even better if I could use the FH-2's velocity-scaled envelopes for this purpose because the release stage would prevent stepping in the final envelope's amplitude. Even when Mono Retrig is set to 0, in this scenario the FH2 envelopes don't produce the rising edge required to trigger other modules.

I also think the documentation could be slightly improved around where the "center" is for the transpose parameter (the one for all individual converters, not the global transpose or the arp transpose parameters). The "center" being the point where no transposition occurs, and from which you can determine how many semitones up or down you're transposing the pitch when you set the CC value. I would think it's maybe 63 or 64 (middle of 0-127), but that doesn't seem to be the case, or maybe I'm losing the plot somewhere.
Thanks, os, for implementing the reset-to-zero option for envelopes!

Also, in case I'm not the only person who cares about my first request (regarding the relationship between Note On events and Euclidean gates when their destination is the same pair of pitch/gate outputs), yesterday I discovered that it IS possible to set pitches and Euclidean gates on the same MIDI channel with a bit of a hack. You just have to use velocity between and 10 (or some number not much more than 10) for your notes, and the FH2 will recognize them and transmit the pitches out of the dedicated pitch jack, but the gates derived from these extremely low-velocity Note On events will be so quiet that they cannot trigger any external envelopes or LPGs. You can then set up your Euclidean gates on the same MIDI channel, and voila you have the sequencing of pitches and Euclidean gates using only 2 FH2 outputs and 1 MIDI channel.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:26 am

This might be an unfeasibly big request, but I think it would really open up the power of the FH-2 if we had some option for editing Presets besides on the UI. If supporting all available parameters across up to 30 presets would be too complex for a browser or app like the Configuration Tool, it could even be a "script" type of mechanism (using text files with some specified syntax), like the legacy configuration path on the FH-1.

For example, I would like to set up 30 different presets that have different .kbm and .scl files applied to my pitch outputs, so I can change scales and root notes with program change messages. It took me an hour to create only 5 presets, and I kinda dread when I probably will want to make changes across all these slots in the future. A preset editing tool, or a text file mechanism, would also allow us to name presets a lot faster.

gundorf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gundorf » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:29 pm

thank you for your updates of this reaaaaalllly cool and useful module!

I would love the fh2 could deliver a clock divider, with length in beats and not in ms (for instance we could make a clock of 4 beats long with length of 2 beats..)...
It could be nice to increase modulation possibilities.

a second request would be the module can deliver lfo without need of midi cc control..
it could be a multi-lfo module without midi need.. could be very helpful sometimes.

Thanks and bravooooo for your work!!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:16 am

You can set up LFOs entirely on-module via the Edit Preset menu.

chapelier fou
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 am

I'd love a "any note" option for Trigger/gate outputs.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:27 am

You can use a MIDI/CV converter with only trigger enabled for that.

chapelier fou
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:39 am

I know but that would be to work with gates.

gundorf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gundorf » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:20 pm

Pitch Envelope would be great (means pitch+Envelope generator on the same pin out).

halfglyph
Learning to Wiggle

Post by halfglyph » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:51 am

feature request/suggestion: support for "sostenuto" (MIDI CC 66):

On/Off switch – Like the Sustain controller (CC 64), However it only holds notes that were “On” when the pedal was pressed. People use it to “hold” chords” and play melodies over the held chord.
0 to 63 = Off, 64 to 127 = On

Paroxysm01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paroxysm01 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:00 am

Oscilloscope to visualize cc

kuuma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kuuma » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:43 am

pardon if this exists already – I'd like to map some buttons to jump the display to a certain channel's function.

i've noticed the screen will hang on the envelope shape display even as i'm adjusting parameters on another output's arpeggiator, and i'll have to hit the button to back out (which i always fear i'll double-hit and stop the clock). and sometimes i'd like to switch the screen to a euclidean pattern status without adjusting the pattern via a knob, just to see/assess before i change anything.

in ableton i'll often map a midi button to the heading of a device so when i hit the button it doesn't do anything, it just pulls up that device so i can look at it. i have a whole row of empty buttons my FH-2-connected controller (Livid DS-1) that i'd like to map up for this display-jump purpose. possible in a future update?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:02 am

Interesting idea - I'll make a note.

Triscus
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by Triscus » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Triscus wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:36 am
I would like to change the patterns of my digitakt via program change messages.

Would it be possible to implement sending those messages via CV/Midi?

Maybe it could be possible to select a range of values and make them selectable via CV-Adressing. Everytime the value changes, a program change message is sent on the selected MIDI channel.
Thank you very much for implementing this, I highly appreciate this. :yay:

But I think I found a bug while using the DIN Output: With DIN there are always two program change commands sent, one with the correct value and right after that program change with the value 1 which actually overrides the first message. Using USB C or A is working fine. MIDI Forwarding was deactivated and just a Mac with a MIDI Monitor was connected.

raft
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raft » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:16 pm

To complement some of the integrated MPE and joystick features, can pitchbend range be set for both the positive and negative ranges independently?

Currently there is only one Bend Range parameter with available values 0-64. Selecting 12; for example, will give a pitchbend range of -12 down and +12 up. It would be advantageous to set the Bend Range - and Bend Range + independently. Then it would be possible to set the PB- to -6 and PB+ to +12, or any other variation.

This is especially helpful when using a pitchbend wheel, joystick, pedal, or any other performance midi controller.

I think then I could finally get some sleep.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by os » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:08 am

Triscus wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:39 pm
But I think I found a bug while using the DIN Output: With DIN there are always two program change commands sent, one with the correct value and right after that program change with the value 1 which actually overrides the first message. Using USB C or A is working fine. MIDI Forwarding was deactivated and just a Mac with a MIDI Monitor was connected.
Fixed in 1.8.2.

Minnemod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Minnemod » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:08 am

Are there any plans for the FH-2 to support MPE+ ?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:18 am

First I've heard of it, so not currently! What's MPE+?

BWBKc6VyUr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BWBKc6VyUr » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:15 am

"MPE+ is Haken Audio’s extension to MPE. This page explains the need for MPE+, and then gives details for implementing MPE+.": https://www.hakenaudio.com/mpe

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:29 am

Interesting. Well, no plans right now. Maybe I'll talk to them about it at Superbooth, as I'd need a Continuum for testing.

Minnemod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Minnemod » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:27 am

os wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:29 am
Interesting. Well, no plans right now. Maybe I'll talk to them about it at Superbooth, as I'd need a Continuum for testing.
Ha, yes I would hope they would insist on giving you one. You could also ask the Expressive-E guys for an Osmose!

Also, I know that Haken also makes a Voltage Converter for the Continuum, which is also going to work with the Osmose, but I think something like the FH-2 may work better with MPE+ keyboards with its expandable number of voices. Although, Haken claims that their Voltage Converter solves latency issues relates to most other MIDI>CV devices, which is critical for the early attack information in MPE+.

Thanks for looking into it!

Triscus
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Re:

Post by Triscus » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:48 pm

os wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:08 am
Fixed in 1.8.2.
Awesome, thank you :hail:

koolgodzilla
1-Post Wiggler

Post by koolgodzilla » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:32 pm

Would it be at all possible to somehow load multiple configurations at once?
I just ordered an FHX-8CV after using the FH-2 for about a year so I've got all these useful configs designed for 8 outputs. I'd like to continue using them two at a time, but instead of creating a config for every combination ("4 voice poly + 8 cc", "4 voice poly + clocks", "8 cc + clocks", etc), it would be nice to somehow merge or stack configs per 8 channels. Thanks!

Durdee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Durdee » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Would it be possible to take a single note input as the root and output chords? You could either select the chord type and number of notes, or change the note spread individually by output. Also, i like the idea of the polyphonic mode having a setting where the lowest note in the chord always comes out of #1, second lowest out of #2, etc. (or whatever cv outputs are selected to output note values).

Return to “Expert Sleepers”