FH-2 Firmware Feature-Requests

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 am

I have a few suggestions. Sorry to have cross-posted a couple from the Euro subforum, just think it would be more useful to have it all in one place here in the feature request thread.

- IMHO, including slope (logarithmic, linear, exponential) control for the envelopes would make this feature more of a module-saver for small systems

- +1 to toneburst's suggestion for at least the ability to choose between OR and AND boolean relationship between Note Ons and Euclidean patterns that are directed to the same converter. On another MIDI/CV converter that has CC-controlled Euclidean patterns, the relationship is AND (the Euclidean gates are only emitted during Note On), which some will find more useful than OR for certain types of composition.

- My pipe dreams for the Lua shell, which now sound sort of like the inverse of its 3 limitations listed in the v1.4 manual :)

- It would be nice to have other voltage range options of 0-5V and 0-3.3V, which are common ranges that can be safely sent to pedals and other non-Euro gear with CV inputs. Wouldn't be possible for the expanders but since voltage ranges seem to be software-configurable on FH-2, maybe adding them would be possible here.

Can't wait to see what General CV functions get ported for the X & Y inputs.

eltnet
Learning to Wiggle

euclidean to enveloppe / mapping

Post by eltnet » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:46 pm

- couldn't the enveloppe be applied to euclidean gates? it could be great!

- midi mapping limited to 255 is actually to short. is it possible to push it to 1024 or more?

thx.

PopGoblin
Common Wiggler

Post by PopGoblin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:27 am

I'd love some way of default-loading a set of calibrations! I've set up 6 oscillators (on two expanders - a cv and a gate one), and loading the calibration after each reboot of my system becomes a bit tedious :)

jonkers303
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jonkers303 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:25 pm

PopGoblin wrote:I'd love some way of default-loading a set of calibrations! I've set up 6 oscillators (on two expanders - a cv and a gate one), and loading the calibration after each reboot of my system becomes a bit tedious :)
Yes! Or even better, make them part of saved configurations

emenel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emenel » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:08 pm

autopoiesis wrote: - It would be nice to have other voltage range options of 0-5V and 0-3.3V, which are common ranges that can be safely sent to pedals and other non-Euro gear with CV inputs. Wouldn't be possible for the expanders but since voltage ranges seem to be software-configurable on FH-2, maybe adding them would be possible here.
I’ll echo this request. I use mine 90% with Serge which is 0-5v and -/+2.5v.

In the FHX-1 you can set 0-5 on the jumpers, but not in the FH-2 or new expanders.

auxren
Veteran Wiggler

Post by auxren » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Is getting the FH-2 on select bus not supported by the HW? Can't we wire the MIDI out to an open power connector wired up like in the Make Noise document with the buffers?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:50 am

The FH-2 doesn't have a Select Bus connection but you could DIY something from its MIDI breakout header to the power bus, as you suggest, or use the Expert Sleeper Select Bus breakout.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:40 am

Now that I've finally received an FH-2 and gotten a chance to try out the new features that motivated me to upgrade from an FH-1, I'd like to refine my feature suggestions. Maybe I'm too particular, but at the moment I'm not making use of most of these newer features because their current implementation as of v1.4 doesn't fit my MIDI workflow. Having said that, I understand that not all of the wide universe of MIDI workflows can be accommodated by a MIDI/CV module, and I think the module is a work of genius.

1. It would be really useful if there were a CC mappable way to enable or disable Note On-generated gates for a given converter. The reason for this is that the logical OR combination of Note On-generated gates and Euclidean gates (when configured to share the same output) often ends up defeating the usability of the Euclidean patterns when you want to transpose (using MIDI note events) the pitch of this voice. You'd have match the timing of the Euclidean pattern with your MIDI note sequence in order to not add unwanted gate events, and it is a nice workflow to be able to remain more agnostic / flexible about your Euclidean gate patterns when experimenting with a new melodic contour. The only way to get around this now is to dedicate a separate output for Euclidean gates controlled by the same MIDI channel, and tie up an external switch module to alternate between Note On-generated gates and Euclidean gates.

2. It would be really useful to have CC-mappable control over active presets. The biggest benefit that comes to mind for me is to be able to link different Scala files to different MIDI sequences; otherwise, to make full use of this feature and switch to a new scale, you have to manually change presets, and that won't work in live situations.

3. Is it possible to have envelopes share an output with Direct Control, and not slew the DC at all? Right now it seems that changes to Direct Control levels are slightly smoothed when I have envelopes also enabled to share those outputs, even when the outputs' smoothing is at 0. Being able to control over MIDI the mixture of DC changes, LFOs, and envelopes from the same outputs is one of the main attractions of the FH-2 for me.

4. It would be useful to have a setting for which types of MIDI events should be displayed on the screen. 80% of the time I would personally find it most helpful if only CC messages that affect mapped parameters were displayed, because I have all the information I need about my note events in my MIDI source, and I don't need to have the clock stream flooding the visibility of other events.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:11 am

1. Someone else suggested having note-on gates and euclidean gates combined using an AND (so you'd hold down a note to enable the euclidean output). Would that do what you need?

2. Do-able, but would MIDI program change make more sense?

3. Smoothing should only be being applied when specifically set, or when portamento is being used.

4. Good suggestion.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:34 am

1. Yup, I think that would work

2. Yes, I think PC would make more sense

3. OK, I'll double check this when I can, then. My observation is possibly due to user error

Thank you for listening!

mrMagenta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mrMagenta » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Hello! I've been using FH-2 + FHX-1 with one or two Roli Seaboard blocks and three independent synth voices with MPE expression.
It is almost working as I would like it to and I wonder if the final bit could be addressed in a firmware update.

I'm having trouble with the voice allocation scheme 'Lowest voice'. When holding down a two voice drone and playing lead lines over it with a higher voice, the higher voice steals the lower voices even if their keys are still held down. It would be more intuitive and playable if there would be a priority scheme that doesn't allow the high voice to steal the lower voices until they are released. Is this already doable on the FH-2? I have tried all settings I can think of with no luck. It would be awesome to get this working, especially with an explicit mapping of the voices to the lowest held notes in order (lowest, second lowest, third lowest ... etc), it would open up for serious expressive playing using the seaboard, even with only two or three independent voices. If you need any help in defining the use case more precisely, help testing or mocking up a working model etc. I'd be happy to offer my time, as I'd like to solve this for my live rig. I have done programming on voice allocation schemes for MPE (Seaboard), so I'm not unfamiliar with the inherent difficulties, I'm sure my solutions aren't perfectly thought out or original but I'd be glad to share my findings if it would be helpful in any way.

A separate question. When using Make noise 0-coast with FH-2 i get good gate triggering, but when connecting to the expansion board FHX-1 i get double triggering, regardless of smoothing settings etc. Is there possibly a fix for this, or does the new expansion board solve this?

I would make a new thread for the second question, but I'm a new user so I can't post threads yet.

Cheers!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:17 am

I'm having trouble with the voice allocation scheme 'Lowest voice'
I think what you want is the "Prevent stealing" option.
When using Make noise 0-coast with FH-2 i get good gate triggering, but when connecting to the expansion board FHX-1 i get double triggering, regardless of smoothing settings etc. Is there possibly a fix for this, or does the new expansion board solve this?
The FHX-8CV uses the same output circuitry as the FH-2, so chances are it won't have this issue.

For the FHX-1 though you could experiment with the Gate Levels settings in the FH-2 configuration.

mrMagenta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mrMagenta » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:06 pm

I forgot to mention the prevent stealing option, I had to remind myself why I had trouble with that one too, but you're right it's closer to what I'm looking for. The trouble I'm still having with that mode is that the last voice cuts out when MIDI note-ons are overlapping, that is, when playing slightly legato. If the last available note would default to the highest priority currently held MIDI note instead of cutting the voice it would be much easier to play fast passages.

To be precise, the following sequence of events is the problem for me:

1. last voice is allocated by midi-on event
2. one or more additional midi-on events come in but there are no voices left to allocate
3. the last voice gets its midi-off event but one or more voiceless midi-ons are still active.

in this scenario I'd like the last voice CV to go to the highest priority active midi note, one that didn't get a voice at midi-on instead of setting gate off on the last voice, this would make it possible to play fast lines where it's difficult to ensure that a note is always released before the next key is pressed. Since it is technically legato, IMO it would make sense that by default the gate isn't re-triggered and only the pitch CV changes to the highest priority held note.

I have a feeling that FH-2 already does all of this, that I'm being daft and not finding the right combination of settings. Super happy for any help!

On the Make Noise double triggering, is there a way to adjust the gate output with larger steps with the encoder on the FH-2 itself? It takes a lot of rotating to lower the value significantly. I did try setting the gate level on the fhx-1 lower via the config web tool, but so far I've had no luck finding a setting that still has a reliable gate-on when the double trigger at gate-off is tamed.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:47 am

To be precise, the following sequence of events is the problem for me:

1. last voice is allocated by midi-on event
2. one or more additional midi-on events come in but there are no voices left to allocate
3. the last voice gets its midi-off event but one or more voiceless midi-ons are still active.
Thanks for the detailed description. The FH-2 doesn't do what you want in this scenario, but as it happens I'm about to do a firmware update so I'll get this done in time for that.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:47 am

v1.5 is released, including this fix.

mrMagenta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mrMagenta » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Wow, so fast! Thanks man, really awesome! I'm testing it out now and it's working perfectly, even the seaboard itself is behaving well (zero hung notes so far), couldn't be happier! Huge thanks!

Ah, I must ask another thing.
While playing around with the Roli seaboard I also find it really satisfying to run a thick multi-voice monophonic sound, for performance it would be powerful to be able to switch back and forth between three voice unison and three voice polyphony by sending a MIDI-CC to FH-2.

Is it possible by setting one of the enumerated items in the Mapping settings, under MIDI/CV target? This thing is quite deep, the manual is good, but I couldn't find info on this particular option.

mrMagenta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mrMagenta » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:29 pm

Might have stumbled across a bug. I had the FH-2 freeze all MIDI twice.

Second time I found the message 'MIDI host send queue overflow' on the FH-2 display, under settings. The MPE MIDI-stream is quite intense using the ROLI, I've had the FH-2 / ROLI hang a few times on previous FH-2 firmware, but I figured it was the Seaboards that were acting up as they have been finicky in general before updating them to newer firmware. This time I was using a single seaboard block connected straight to the FH-2 USB type A slot.

This bug would be a good one to zap. Let me know if there is something I can do to help you reproduce it, or narrow down the cause.

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:05 am

How about a controller to switch LFO waveform?

It's great to be able to mix the waveforms, but we don't all have MIDI control surfaces with vast numbers of pots/encoder, so a single control to simply switch between the types (ie set level of selected waveform to max, and all others to min) would be super useful, I think.

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:37 pm

On a similar theme to the above, this is a slightly more "out there", and I'm vague on how it might work, to be honest.

Background: I have a Novation Launch Control XL. It's got some nice sliders to slide, lots of pots to turn, plus 16 3-colour pads, and some other switches.

However, unlike the FaderFox controller you've demoed on YouTube, it lacks multiple banks of control assignments, or the ability to change the transmitting MIDI channel using the controls on the hardware itself.

I'm sure this is the case with other controllers, too, as it is also with the controller section of my BeatStep Pro.

Would it be possible to be able to add a feature to the FH-2 that would allow you to somehow simulate multiple banks of controllers?

I guess one way this could be achieved would be to have the ability to have a MIDI note or CC force the channel number of incoming MIDI events to particular values.

You could then setup a configuration with controls for LFO levels, Euclidean patterns etc. for different FH-2 outputs set to respond to MIDI messages on different channels.

By forcing incoming MIDI messages to particular channels (by e.g. pressing particular buttons on the hardware), you could choose to control different sets of parameters on the FH-2, effectively multiplying the number of parameters that could be controlled.

You'd probably also save to setup some kind of "soft-takeover" or similar mode, so the same physical controls could control multiple parameters in a more user-friendly way.

It's just an idea, and perhaps not a practical one, but I wanted to document is, while it was on my mind.

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:59 pm

Or.. I could just get myself a Faderfox UC3 or UC4...
They're pricey, though.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:14 am

The LC XL does have multiple banks of assignments. They're called User Templates.

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:05 pm

os wrote:The LC XL does have multiple banks of assignments. They're called User Templates.
Ooops, so it does. Beatstep Pro doesn't have multiple encoder banks, though.

I still think there's value in the LFO shape switch idea above.

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:31 am

os wrote:The LC XL does have multiple banks of assignments. They're called User Templates.
I've filled all 8 user templates with the same CCs for each control, on consecutive MIDI channels, ready to setup some configurations on the FH-2.

Thanks for the tip.

toneburst
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toneburst » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 am

How about a "Reset" clock/trigger type?

I've tried using a clock output with a divider so it triggers once every 16 pulses of the main clock output, but this doesn't work because most sequencer-type modules accepting a Reset pulse need the pulse to happen fractionally before the first pulse of the next bar, in order to reset to step 1 when the next clock pulse appears.

I'd envisage a Reset output type as needing a control for the period, and maybe a control for how far in advance of the next clock pulse the reset signal occurs.

Reset signals are really useful when you're experimenting with odd time-signatures, or polymetric/polyrhythmic sequences.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:21 am

Have you tried using the clock's 'Shift' to advance it slightly?

Return to “Expert Sleepers”