FH-2/FHX-8GT Problems with CV and Gate

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

xybre
Learning to Wiggle

FH-2/FHX-8GT Problems with CV and Gate

Post by xybre » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:56 am

I've had an FH-2 and an FHX-8GT for a few months now and I find that they both continue having issues that I haven't been able to solve.

Here are the 2 issues I feel I can isolate and describe:

CV - Randomly a CV output's pitches will jump to a very different value. I can watch the output jack go from the expect value (red) and it will flicker to other values (blue). This starts to happen most consistently when there is a "rapid" (say 16th notes at 120bpm) series of notes coming in. This is audible and not predictable as far as I can tell, but once a channel starts doing it, it will continue to until rebooted. This manifests on the FH-2's own outputs.

Gate - Gates will get stuck in the "on" state. Nothing particularly busy is necessary to create this issue. Just playing manually without arpeggiating is enough for it to crop up. Again, the note will not go off until reboot. I have noticed this on the FHX-8GT's outputs.

Both modules are fully up to date with v1.7.2 and using the flash 8GT.

My main configuration is very simple and just has a pair of CV/gate for each of 8 MIDI channels. I've recreated the config from scratch multiple times. All devices tested were USB devices powered by the FH-2. Linnstrument and Deluge are the devices I used.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:34 am

Rather than rebooting, does 'Reset MIDI/CV' from the Resets menu fix it?

xybre
Learning to Wiggle

Re: FH-2/FHX-8GT Problems with CV and Gate

Post by xybre » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:46 am

It does fix it temporarily.

If I send anything "complex" though it again, it will break again of course.

I'm noticing that it is specifically and repeatably happening with channel 7 on the FH-2 getting stuck to a particular voltage.

However, any channel that has a couple of arps being sent to it will be "offset" until the sequence is stopped and started again.

I'm aiming to capture video of each issue as I replicate it so you can see. I just posted this one to Instagram and tagged you, hopefully that helps!

There's several different symptoms I've seen in my testing and it depends greatly on the kind of MIDI being sent to it. I get completely different weirdness when using my Linnstrument.

xybre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xybre » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:34 am

I also notice that MIDI channel 1 CC 1 ends up being sent to output 2, and I can't see where that setting is coming from.

Here is my configuration (I think):
► Show Spoiler

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:29 am

Screenshot 2020-01-06 at 15.27.28.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xybre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xybre » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:27 pm

It took me a while of staring at that screenshot to realize what was going on. I think I misunderstood the purpose of that setting and left it alone based on a default configuration. I bet that will really help clear up issues, thank you.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”