Which FH-2 parameters are scaled across the 0-127 CC range?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Which FH-2 parameters are scaled across the 0-127 CC range?

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:03 pm

I'd like some guidance about which of the FH-2's CC-controllable parameters are scaled for use across the full 0-127 value range.

For example, I've always been puzzled by why I couldn't get the Euclidean Pulses and Steps to behave as expected when controlling them from CC messages, until I came by this post on KVR where os mentioned, "In general the parameters are scaled so that MIDI CC value 0-127 maps to the full range of the parameter": https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5&t=530504

So, in this case of Euclidean Pulses and Steps, apparently their utilized numbers are actually determined by the output of ((x*33)/128) where x is the CC value. So, for 6 pulses out of 16 steps you'd send CC values of 24 and 63, respectively.

(I personally find this very far from user-friendly in the common cases where, without involving a calculator, I'd like to precisely and deliberately set these parameters, which to me is one of the main advantages of pairing FH-2 with a capable MIDI sequencer.)

Is this true of every single CC-controllable parameter on the FH-2 whose ceiling of relevant values is below 128? Including, for example, Tempo Base (which would mean that a CC value of 8, rather than 6, is required to set the base to 1/16)?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Which FH-2 parameters are scaled across the 0-127 CC range?

Post by os » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:01 am

Tempo Base uses raw CC values, I believe.

Those that don't
- arp mode
- arp range
- arp reset
- euclidean pulses, steps, rotation
- env time range

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:14 pm

Thanks for clarifying os! I have to say that I find that this scaling of CC values across the 128 value range makes things pretty complicated for Euclidean, but maybe I'm alone in wanting to _know_ what values I'm choosing for these parameters (without consulting some kind of a map of values to scaled values before sending my CC messages).

Just to confirm, though: does the per-converter Transpose parameter use raw CC values? The manual doesn't document its range or what CC value corresponds to "center" (i.e., 0 semitones of transposition), but I've assumed that it has a range of 97 values (1-48 semitones down, 0 semitones, 1-48 semitones up) like the Global Transpose parameter.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:45 am

Transpose uses 64 for 0. You can actually set it from -64 to 63 over MIDI.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:59 am

great, thanks!

herw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by herw » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:24 pm

os wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:45 am
Transpose uses 64 for 0. You can actually set it from -64 to 63 over MIDI.
hi
i am new to FH-2.
a simple question:

I have activated cv and gate for channel 1.
Now i want to transpose midi notes. I changed in menu (of FH-2) to edit preset/arps/Portamento/Midi/CV1/transpose to f.i. 4 and saved. All works fine.
But i failed to do it by config-tool. What i am doing wrong?
I am using MacOs 10.14.6 with chrome and opera (have clicked on Send to FH-2). I am using config-tool offline.
Bild 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:37 pm

Is "send to midi port" set to FH-2 and "listen on midi port" also set to FH-2? Can you receive information successfully from the module when pressing "Request FH-2 Version"?

If all the above is true, then (based on your screenshot) pressing "send to FH-2" should be configuring the module to transpose its first CV output in response to CC#4 values sent on MIDI channel 1.

herw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by herw » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:48 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:37 pm
Is "send to midi port" set to FH-2 and "listen on midi port" also set to FH-2? Can you receive information successfully from the module when pressing "Request FH-2 Version"?

If all the above is true,...
yes
... then (based on your screenshot) pressing "send to FH-2" should be configuring the module to transpose its first CV output in response to CC#4 values sent on MIDI channel 1.
hm - does that mean that i have to send a value via cc#4 to get a change? I thought 4 means transpose to pitch +4.
I changed to pitch +4 via preset menu on module. Doesn't exist a possibility to change this by config-tool, no access to edit preset?

sorry i am not a native speaker.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Yes, given what you have chosen in that screenshot, you will have to send a message via CC#4 to transpose the pitch. If you want to transpose it by +4 semitones, send the value 68 to CC#4 on MIDI channel 1. If you want to transpose it by -2 semitones, send the value 62. (Since a value of 64 = 0 semitones of transposition, as os mentioned previously in this thread.)

Check page 28 of the latest version's manual. "The left drop-down is the MIDI channel; the right drop-down is the CC number."

herw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by herw » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:22 pm
Yes, given what you have chosen in that screenshot, you will have to send a message via CC#4 to transpose the pitch. If you want to transpose it by +4 semitones, send the value 68 to CC#4 on MIDI channel 1. If you want to transpose it by -2 semitones, send the value 62. (Since a value of 64 = 0 semitones of transposition, as os mentioned previously in this thread.)

Check page 28 of the latest version's manual. "The left drop-down is the MIDI channel; the right drop-down is the CC number."
thanks - i understand now.
but i want constantly set the tuning of the output 1 (pitch to pitch +4). Is that possible or is it only possible to change it in edit preset by the FH-2-menu?
I followed manual page 32 parameter transpose. I am not able to transpose (in browser) because it is part of preset, which i cannot edit with config tool, means there is no preset tool?
Last edited by herw on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:47 pm

There is no preset editing tool, but I think it would be a great help to us all if this were developed and made available.

herw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by herw » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:50 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:47 pm
There is no preset editing tool, but I think it would be a great help to us all if this were developed and made available.
ok, many thanks :) - so it is not my fault.

ciao herw

PS: i will try to send transpose #cc from maschine jam.
expert sleepers FH-2 - 05.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bcomnes
Common Wiggler

Post by bcomnes » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:31 am

I second that request for a preset editor,

Recall/load Active preset
Tweek it
Save it back to FH2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too Loud?

Too Bad
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 am

Noted.

I really hadn't anticipated this need. In my mind, the Preset is all stuff that you will be generally tweaking on the fly during performance. Which aspects of the Preset would you find yourself tweaking more often in a Preset editor?

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:21 pm

os wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 am
Noted.

I really hadn't anticipated this need. In my mind, the Preset is all stuff that you will be generally tweaking on the fly during performance. Which aspects of the Preset would you find yourself tweaking more often in a Preset editor?
For me, a Preset editor would be most useful for setting up several different presets that are all the same except for a few parameters. I prefer to control everything over MIDI CC, if possible, so if I want to switch to a "preset" that has a couple of my pitch outputs transposed by a few semitones, I switch to a pattern on my MIDI sequencer that has the corresponding CC message set to produce this outcome. I would recommend taking this approach wherever possible to the previous posters.

But I want to use the preset slots for storing different Scala file and keyboard mapping file configurations across my pitch outputs -- for example, Preset #1 using a Hirajoshi scale + a .kbm file with a base note of C, applied to all 3 of my pitch outputs. Preset #2 using Hirajoshi + a .kbm file with a base note of C#, applied to all my pitch outputs. Etc. That way, I can easily call up (either through the panel, or through Program Change messages) different scales or keys that are harmonized across all my pitch outputs. But this is an absolute nightmare to configure manually using the panel's controls.

herw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by herw » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:25 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:21 pm
os wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 am
Noted.

For me, a Preset editor would be most useful for setting up several different presets that are all the same except for a few parameters. I prefer to control everything over MIDI CC, if possible, so if I want to switch to a "preset" that has a couple of my pitch outputs transposed by a few semitones, I switch to a pattern on my MIDI sequencer that has the corresponding CC message set to produce this outcome. I would recommend taking this approach wherever possible to the previous posters.

But I want to use the preset slots for storing different Scala file and keyboard mapping file configurations across my pitch outputs -- for example, Preset #1 using a Hirajoshi scale + a .kbm file with a base note of C, applied to all 3 of my pitch outputs. Preset #2 using Hirajoshi + a .kbm file with a base note of C#, applied to all my pitch outputs. Etc. That way, I can easily call up (either through the panel, or through Program Change messages) different scales or keys that are harmonized across all my pitch outputs. But this is an absolute nightmare to configure manually using the panel's controls.
absolutely agree 8-)
would it be possible to integrate edit/preset into config-tool, that it is only one application?

BTW: many thanks for support

Return to “Expert Sleepers”