ESX-8CV & Combiner help!!

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

dandandaaan
Learning to Wiggle

ESX-8CV & Combiner help!!

Post by dandandaaan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:51 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to hook up an ES-40, ES-7 and ESX-8CV to Ableton to get some CV going between my computer and my modular, but having real trouble getting to grips with the Combiner plugin and the ESX-8CV. I've successfully got two channels of audio going into the DAW via the ES-7 but the ESX-8CV is really driving me crazy.

When I power on the modular, the 8 LEDs on the ESX seem to be at random values and colours. I don't really understand what any of the parameters in the Combiner plugin are referring to (specifically "Interface", "Target", "SMUX Proof" etc.) and the only manual on the ES website seems to be very out of date? I also don't really understand the "thru" setting and why it's needed?

On a related note I'm also not at all sure how the two (or is it one?!) channels of S/PDIF audio in and out of the DAW (I'm using a Scarlett 6i6 interface) should be routed. Should I be routing a stereo pair of SPDIF in and out of the Combiner channel in live, or just one channel?

Sorry if this isn't very clear, really if anyone could point me in the right direction of some literature and/or tutorials then I'm sure I can work it out. Alternatively if there is any way of bypassing Combiner completely and using Ableton's own CV tools that would be ideal.

Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ESX-8CV & Combiner help!!

Post by os » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:11 am

You need to route the output of the Combiner plug-in to the stereo SPDIF pair.

Then as a simple test wiggle the 8 Offset knobs.

dandandaaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandaaan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:33 am

Thanks for the reply! I found the updated manual and have managed to get it working in a basic way. However I only seem to be able to use 4 outputs rather than all 8. The Combiner plugin seems only able to accept inputs in stereo pairs?

For example. I can successfully set up Combiner communicating with the ESX on one channel, the offset knobs work as expected. But if I set up a Max "CV clock out" or any other plug in on any channel sending cv to Combiner, the only possible destinations are "Track In" or 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10. If I send to any of the numbered inputs, I get signal on the first of the two (which is then correctly mapped to whichever output I set in Combiner) but not the second. Panning the signal also doesn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:08 am

You need to send a stereo signal into the Combiner inputs. So if you have a mono plug-in, you need to make it stereo somehow. Perhaps route it through an intermediate track.

dandandaaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandaaan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:26 am

That makes sense, thank you. But does that mean I can only have 4 individual CV signals happening at the same time, rather than 8? Confused as to the point of having 8 CV jacks if only 4 signals can be used at once... :hmm:

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:35 am

No, you can use all 8 at once.

dandandaaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandaaan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:55 am

os wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:35 am
No, you can use all 8 at once.
I'm afraid this is where I'm getting stuck! There seems to be no way to send to the "even" inputs of Combiner - my only options are stereo pairs like so:
Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 16.44.58.png
Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 16.51.08.png
And the first of the pair receives the signalled works as expected (so inputs 1, 3, 5 and 7) but there is nothing on 2, 4, 6 or 8 regardless of how I pan the channels sending the CV. I'm expecting there to be an option to send a "mono" signal but can't find it anywhere in Ableton's CV tools.

Thanks for your help so far though!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:44 pm

Route the CV Tools object out to another track, set that track to go to the Combiner, then pan it right.

dandandaaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dandandaaan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:49 pm

I'm really sorry but it still doesn't seem to be working! If I route a CV tool to a new channel and pan it right before it gets to the Combiner, the signal disappears completely. If it's panned left or centre, it behaves as normal (but only on the "left" output)

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed it! But it does require an Ableton "Utility" plugin to swap the signal from left to right. Is this as intended? Thanks for your help though!

Return to “Expert Sleepers”