USAMO w/Ableton not launching/starting consistently when hitting play

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

donatelli
Learning to Wiggle

USAMO w/Ableton not launching/starting consistently when hitting play

Post by donatelli » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:39 pm

I have a USAMO configured with Ableton live. I feed the MIDI output from the USAMO box to provide MIDI clock to my drum machines. I generally feed it to one of my machines and then use MIDI thru from that machine to sync other machines (e.g. USAMO to DSI Tempest -> Monomachine -> 808, etc.).

While the drum machines generally stay in sync with eachother, what I'm finding is that when I hit play in Ableton, the drum machines are started up + or - a few ms and rarely sync directly with Ableton's click track perfectly (or "sample accurate" as described by the USAMO product). Sometimes it is off by much more than that, but generally it is close - just not close enough...most of the time, you can hear Ableton's click "flamming" with the drum machine hits instead of landing perfectly in time. The start messages seem to be a little bit off, but not by a consistent amount. So, in other words, the sequences I have programmed on my drum machines are not in sync with my Ableton session - they're off by a few ms usually and that amount varies each time I hit play. Every now and then, when I hit play, it launches perfectly in sync with my Ableton project.

Anyone dealt with this? I've read a bit about this issue on other threads but haven't found a solid solution.

Thanks,
Last edited by donatelli on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donatelli
Learning to Wiggle

Re: USAMO w/Ableton not launching/starting consistently when hitting play

Post by donatelli » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:41 pm

I should add that I'm running Ableton Live 10 at 96khz with a UAD Apollo Duo. In test mode I get all green results as directed in the USAMO documentation. Also, I'm using the External Audio Effect routing method to keep plugin latency/delay compensation in sync with my session.

donatelli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by donatelli » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:20 am

Thanks. I've read that thread. It seems like the conclusion is that this is a bug and there is no solution. Does anyone know if the E-RM Multiclock has better performance in this regard?

donatelli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by donatelli » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 am

After doing more testing, it seems that my 808 is the culprit, not the USAMO or the other drum machines. Thanks.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:49 am

Would the 808 respond better to DINsync?

donatelli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by donatelli » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:49 am

I suppose so, are there any converter boxes you would recommend?

GZHN27
Common Wiggler

Post by GZHN27 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:37 am

I'm experiencing the exact same problem at this moment. The usamo sends midi clock to a midi thru box and then sends clock to my drummachine and mono synth. Behringer rd-808 and a behringer MS-101. I need to press play/stop a couple of times before it syncs correctly with my Ableton drum tracks. Does everybody experience this and is this normal? I just want to be sure that everything starts exactly at the same time when i press play and not randomly and inconsistant.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”