ES-9 standalone summing?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ES-9 standalone summing?

Post by behndy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:55 am

LDT wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:17 am

My Faderfox EC4 now controls level and pan for each of the (stereo or mono) sources going to ES-9. I have off course named each knob on the EC4 accordingly, so it is super easy to work with. (A bonus is, that you can arrange the sequence of knobs, so it makes sense to you, without changing any cables on the ES-9). And mixing with the Faderfox/ES-9 totally f**king works! :party: :party: :party:
this is exaaaaactly what i've been waiting to do. i'll wait for Os to confirm it's okay to use that Beta, but which one are you on?

regarding outs - i'm using a pair to go to some Oto Machines. very cool to have a mini peudo-patchbay inside such a small module.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:03 am

LDT wrote:
(I am not using the eight ES-9 outputs at all, but some rainy day I might look into using them also.)
That would be an easy way to send sync to the modular.

I don't recommend the reverse i.e. trying to sync the DAW to the modular.

dangriffiths
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dangriffiths » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:43 am

In a similar position myself but with a 16n for mixing. Do you have the EC4 connected directly to the ES-9 via USB-C?

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:08 am

behndy wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:55 am
this is exaaaaactly what i've been waiting to do. i'll wait for Os to confirm it's okay to use that Beta, but which one are you on?
I am on the one that is in the post that reads like this:
Here's a new beta.

This is quite a big deal. I've ripped out all the library code I was using for the mixer, and replaced it with my own from-scratch code - which means I'm much more in control and can do unconventional stuff.

Like for instance - adding controls for DC offsets. There's a new set of faders at the bottom of the config tool that let you adjust the DC offset of your 3.5mm outputs, which is useful so that, for example, a zero coming out of VCV Rack actually gives you zero Volts in hardware.

So - big changes. Please test with caution!

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:23 am

os wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:03 am
LDT wrote:
(I am not using the eight ES-9 outputs at all, but some rainy day I might look into using them also.)
That would be an easy way to send sync to the modular.

I don't recommend the reverse i.e. trying to sync the DAW to the modular.
Bitwig is happily syncing to midi clock that it receives through the ES-9 connection. It just recorded 12 tracks of audio while synced to my modular. No problemo. Though I am not sure exactly how it maintains sync in both audio and midi, but I asume that ES-9 is the boss that it syncs to (audio) and the midi sync can be fine tuned as it goes along.

However my Nuendo (Cubase in all practicality) will not sync to midi clock. Reaper likewise.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:26 am

About the beta: There is some weirdness in the CC assignment, but I just went through them systematicly and found all the ones I was looking for.
Apart from that, I have not found any problems.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:25 pm

LDT wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:08 am
behndy wrote:
Here's a new beta.

This is quite a big deal. I've ripped out all the library code I was using for the mixer, and replaced it with my own from-scratch code - which means I'm much more in control and can do unconventional stuff.

Like for instance - adding controls for DC offsets. There's a new set of faders at the bottom of the config tool that let you adjust the DC offset of your 3.5mm outputs, which is useful so that, for example, a zero coming out of VCV Rack actually gives you zero Volts in hardware.

hurm. i am PRETTY sure that's the one that killed mines. i'm going to email and check to see if that one is safe before i install it. he was a prince to get a reinstall tool to me SUPER quick so i could fix mines, not going to piss on his efforts without checking.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:23 am

dangriffiths wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:43 am
In a similar position myself but with a 16n for mixing. Do you have the EC4 connected directly to the ES-9 via USB-C?
EC4 goes to my FH-2 via usb. Then on the back side, FH-2 has its midi bus connected to ES-9.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:28 am

behndy wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:25 pm
LDT wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:08 am
behndy wrote:
Here's a new beta.

hurm. i am PRETTY sure that's the one that killed mines. i'm going to email and check to see if that one is safe before i install it. he was a prince to get a reinstall tool to me SUPER quick so i could fix mines, not going to piss on his efforts without checking.
Better safe than sorry. But if you go one page back in this thread, Os does verify, in a response to me, that he took the very bad one down, and that the previous one is fine.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:50 am

murrrrr this is the last one i can see him referencing specifically -
os wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:59 am
Please try this one.
is that what y'all are running?

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:34 pm

I am on this one.
os wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:11 am
Here's a new beta.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:40 pm

yeaaaaah. i think that's the one that borked mines. going to wait for him to respond to the email i shot him. i can't WAIT to do mixing/standalone monitoring with the EC4 and ES-9, but i can make do with a Live set open and monitoring for right now.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:15 am

behndy wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:40 pm
yeaaaaah. i think that's the one that borked mines.
It's not. The bad one was the one that added EQ.

The post that used to contain it now contains a note that it was removed.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:09 am

wonnnnderful!

i didn't think you'd leave up a dangerous beta, just wanted to be as careful as possible. will install today. thanks!

ROMOFACE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ROMOFACE » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:01 pm

Does someone have a Screen shot of what the Config tool should look like to use the ES-9 as a standalone. Can't seem to figure it out. Not hearing anything on the headphones out.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:41 am

Something like this. The main thing is to change the mixer inputs, then fade them up in the Phones channel mixers.
Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 08.39.34.png

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:35 pm

BOOF. took a minute to get the logic of the EC4 button layout/configuration action times. but makes sense once i did. same with the MIDI routing for talking to the ES-9. it makes sense after going through 2 or 3 blocks of mixers, first volume available is 000, next is 001 if first channel is mono, 002 if the first channel is stereo. count like that until the end of the available channel volumes, then same logic for pan in that block/mixer. repeat through each block. GOT IT.

after all the setup on both, it would be neaaaaaaat to be able to save a configuration file for the ES-9 on my computer in case something happens. is that possible?

loooooooving this thing. gives me all the functionality of a huge desktop eating mixer i had innnn basically... no space at all. WOOT.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:07 am

You could save a sysex dump.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:55 am

When using ES-9 as mixer, controlled by Faderfox EC4, I have come across this little bonus:
The levels of ones different eurorack voices can vary quite a bit, and you do not have a gain per channel. But Faderfox’s Low and High values come in VERY handy.
As starting point, I limit all channels to 110, as I found that if they all go to max, the stereo out will clip. Then if there is a very loud voice, I go lower with that, and very soft voice can go to max.
Also I have found it really nice to set a Low (minimum) value, as the lowest values do extremely little. My standard Low value is now 15, and what it does is, that the min to max throw of the encoder is much more comfortable.

Oh, and one little EC4 tip: If you use more than one group, in settings, set encoder press to Group. This way you just have to press an encoder to go to another group, which is very sweet when one of your groups is your main mixer. Just a click, and you are back to your mixer.

And finally (but off topic): Having the EC4 totally opens up the FH-2. I just got one more FHX-8CV instead of my Divkid Ochd, and now I can “custom fit” the LFOs it produces to perfectly fit the destinations: Sync or no sync, bipolar or unipolar. And the FH-2 LFOs even have the wonderful ability to blend the waveforms, so you can have i.e. just a little bit of random flutter in your sine wave.
Between the ES-9 and FH-2, my Faderfox now controls about 100 parameters. 🥳

PopGoblin
Common Wiggler

Post by PopGoblin » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:22 pm

Wow! Good ideas! Even though I really don’t have time for beta-firmware right now, I’m sooo close to risking it :)

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:34 pm

PopGoblin wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:22 pm
Wow! Good ideas! Even though I really don’t have time for beta-firmware right now, I’m sooo close to risking it :)
So far no probs at all. And I am allergic to buggy firmware. (I am looking at you, Arturia.)

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:14 am

got the EC4 working perrrrrfectly with the ES-9 for monitoring levels/pan and for sending ins to outs.

doesn't seem to affect the level of the signal going into Live though. i have a feedback distortion module that runs super hot, it clips constantly in Live, was wondering if there was a way to attenuate the signal going into the computer?

lol. i am SURE i'm missing something easy. it's what i DO.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:39 am

No. You would need to attenuate it before the ES-9. If it's clipping the ADCs, there's nothing that can be done in the digital domain to fix that.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:20 am

murrrrr good to know.

SlagRalden
Common Wiggler

Post by SlagRalden » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:11 pm

A lot of love for the Faderfox EC4 on here but has anyone done standalone control of ES-9 with something like the Befaco VCMC or Tesseract Sweet Sixteen? any limitations I'm missing? I don't have an ES-9 yet so not sure but was trying to keep everything inside the case....

Return to “Expert Sleepers”