Motu Microbook iic and Silent Way VC?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Jauqq
Learning to Wiggle

Motu Microbook iic and Silent Way VC?

Post by Jauqq » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Is anyone using a Motu Microbook iic with Silent Way voice controller? Which outputs on the Microbook are you using?

I recently tried a Motu Microbook iic with SW VC, but could not get it to work. From the Motu, I had "main out 1" going to "CV in", and "main out 2" to the "gate in" on an SH101. From the SH101 main output I had this going to the Motu "line in 3" routed to a mono input audio track in Logic X. I pressed the calibrate V/oz in the VC plug-in but nothing was received on the VC calibrate window from the SH101. I could get the SH101 to work with a Motu 828 Mk2, and a Motu Ultralite Mk3, so I know the Microbook not working isn't user error.

I emailed Motu asking if the Microbook iic was DC coupled, and they confirmed it's outputs were.

So anyone having success with the Microbook iic and SW VC?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Motu Microbook iic and Silent Way VC?

Post by os » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 am

You don't mention that you connected the audio input to the Voice Controller input, which might be the step you're missing.

Jauqq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jauqq » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:22 am

On the VC plug-in side chain input I selected the input for the Microbook iic line in 3. I also tried every other input that was listed in the side chain input menu, as I know that Logic X numbers Motu channels differently to how Motu lists them.

I also tested with headphones plugged into the SH101 as I was trying to calibrate, and those had no output from them.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 am

Can you put the synth into a 'drone' mode, or just hold down a key, so you don't need the gate connection to work?

Jauqq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jauqq » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:33 am

I'm no longer able to test this. This was a few weeks back, and the Microbook iic stopped working and I had to return it for a refund.

I was able to get it to record audio, have audio from its main out's, just never got it working with VC, despite Motu saying it was DC coupled.

I did find a YT video of a first generation Microbook working with Motu Volta, confirming that this first model was sending CV. Just haven't seen anything confirmed about the later Microbook iic model.

Maybe I had a faulty unit, unable to put out CV?

So asking if anyone has the latest model the iic working? I would prefer to use a iic for its small compact size.

Jauqq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jauqq » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:59 pm

os wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 am
Can you put the synth into a 'drone' mode, or just hold down a key, so you don't need the gate connection to work?
I just picked up another Microbook iic and gave this a try. I've just one output cable from the Microbook going to the CV pitch in on the SH101. SH101 output going to input 3 on the Microbook, and headphones plugged in to SH101 for easier monitoring.

I held down the lowest note on the SH101, and calibrated within the VC plug-in. This time I heard the SH101 note (F) rise in pitch.

So there's an issue with using "CV gate" out on the Microbook. I know it's not an issue with the gate in on the SH101, as it works fine with an 828Mk2, and Ultralite Mk3 + SW VC.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:45 am

Perhaps the voltage on the Microbook output is too low to trigger the gate.

Have you measured it? If you don't have a multimeter, you can estimate it using the pitch CV - how many octaves do you get?

MerkDak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MerkDak » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:51 am

The voltage on the Microbook is pretty low indeed. I have the Doepfer dual polarizer with which i can boost the signal, which kind of works. It's pretty dodgy, tho, so I eventually stopped trying and worked with midi and midi to cv (I've got a keystep and a lil erebus anyway), and I am saving up for a ES-8...

Jauqq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jauqq » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks for the confirmation which corresponds with what I was finding.

I think I'll go with an Ultralite.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”