ES-40/ESX-8MD SW-4 Silent Way 2.8.0 No Sysex

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

sfere1
Learning to Wiggle

ES-40/ESX-8MD SW-4 Silent Way 2.8.0 No Sysex

Post by sfere1 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:08 am

Hi Oz

Long time user here...no probs until Mojave 10.14.6...

having a bit of an issue here. Sw-4 in logic x 10.4.8 and Cubase 10.5.5.1 are not passing sysex...Tried directly from the Novation SL mkII via midi out and every different synth responds. Go back to using sw-4 and nada. I can see the daws receiving sysex but the plug is not passing it back out. Also tried Midi Monitor and saw that the plug in was receiving the sysex data...but not passing it out.....What shall I do? Could this possibly be OS related? I've used this for years and I can't understand how it just stopped working.

thanks in advance
Dennis Ferrer

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ES-40/ESX-8MD SW-4 Silent Way 2.8.0 No Sysex

Post by os » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:28 am

Could be Mojave. Maybe it blocks sysex because it can be used for evil system level access or something.

Try my USAMO plug-in. I realise you don't have the hardware, but it has a handy display within the plug-in of the MIDI it's receiving from the host.

sfere1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sfere1 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 am

Hi Os
tried the USAMO plug and Nada...zilch sysex coming in or out. We pulled out a miditech 16x16 to test sysex via midi input and output into logic and viola that works. We took off the MidiTech and went back to the ES-40 and ESX-8MD. I started up Sysex Librarian (to confirm it could be os update related) by recording sysex data into it via the Novation SL Mkii and then starting logic x and loading the SW-4 plug. I then played back the sysex file in sysex librarian using the plug in as as a destination. I guess the plug creates a virtual output that Sysex Librarian sees. Played the file and sysex loads into the synth just fine. If i switch over to Logic though...the plug will still not pass sysex directly from the controller. Thought this was OS related but Sysex Librarian shows that this potentially is not the case as the virtual SW-4 output passes the sysex. Same behavior in Cubase 10.5 when I tried..just to be sure it wasn't DAW specific. Ideas?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:23 pm

I'm running Mojave here. Logic and Cubase 10.5 don't seem to be passing sysex into the plug-in.

Not much I can do about it if so.

Mind you I just tried Cubase 9 and that didn't work either. What was the combination of OS/DAW that last worked for you?

sfere1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sfere1 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 am

Both worked at their current iteration before I messed up and allowed automatic updates to Mojave just before this last update to it. I believe 10.14.4 was the one i was working with before this last one. I have Cubase verisions back to 9 on our drives and none of the versions are passing sysex also. Shocking because i've made tunes in them with the plug . They definitely worked passing sysex as I've been a long time user of your product. The same goes for Logic X. Thing is C10.5 and Logic are passing sysex via any midi interface that i connect via usb no probs. I don't understand how both DAWs decide all of a sudden not to allow sysex to pass to the plug because of an os update. dumbfounded right now

df

sfere1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sfere1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:27 am

hey os any news or ideas?

d

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:28 am

No - only to use the plug-in's own virtual MIDI port for sysex instead.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”