ESX8-GT with ES40 not playing ball

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Extra Exotic
Learning to Wiggle

ESX8-GT with ES40 not playing ball

Post by Extra Exotic » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:04 am

Hi there

I've been using my ES40 with an ESX 8MD for the past year with no issues at all, however I just got my lil mitts on an ESX8-GT, which I simply can't get to work.

The 8MD is on header 1
The GT is on header 2

On the ES4 controller I have everything off except gate 2 which is set to 1 with a base of 48. If I send note 48, nothing happens. If I move the note away from 48, ie to 47 or 45 etc, none of the gates light up, except for when it is set to F2, which lights up gate 7.

Gate 7 doesn't actually trigger anything when it is lit up. I have it going to the trig in on a Pip Slope.

I have tried different headers, which renders the same result.

Is it possible that this is a faulty unit?

Windows 10
Live 10
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ESX8-GT with ES40 not playing ball

Post by os » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Find something on the plug-in that makes the LEDs on the 8MD obviously react e.g. twiddle the 'Output 1' knob. Then swap the 8MD and the 8GT (on the same header). If the 8GT doesn't react the same way, it's got a problem.

Extra Exotic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Extra Exotic » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:20 am

Hey there... sorry for the slow response, I've been away for a while... so, prior to your reply, I managed to get this all working ok by swapping the GT to header 2 and the MD to header 5. Until then, all the MIDI from the MD was messed up, choking and generally being a pain. Once I switched the headers round it worked fine, as thought the GT messaged were previously being intercepted by the MD....

Now I have a further problem though: I've added an 8CV in to header 1 and this is really not behaving either:

If I plug in the power, all 8 LEDs are on full(ish) permanently. Following your video that shows how to use the SW voice controller, this doesn't seem to be what should be happening. Also: If I play a note, all 8 LEDs flash, not just the first 4. and the device receiving the pitch CV will blip momentarily and then return to it's original (center) pitch, as if it is perhaps receiving a gate/trig?

In addition to this, the note being played is triggering all 8 of the the GT's outputs.

Swapping the 8CV to a different header, before or after the 8GT doesn't seem to change the behaviour of any of the above.

I hope this makes sense? Maybe you could help me please?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:36 am

If you're using the Voice Controller, you either need to put it in ESX-8CV mode, or feed its outputs via the ESX-8CV Combiner. Are you doing either of those?

Extra Exotic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Extra Exotic » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:15 am

Yes I've been setting the voice controller to ESX-8CV mode and then clicking "create ESX-xCV Calibration"

I've tried it with the combiner in conjunction with voice controller, which seems to produce more distinct pitches as opposed to blips, but only across one octave
Last edited by Extra Exotic on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:19 am

And you have all the plug-ins on the same track?

Extra Exotic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Extra Exotic » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:21 am

absolutely

Extra Exotic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Extra Exotic » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:24 am

If you have the time I could dm you my number and go over it on the phone?

Return to “Expert Sleepers”