Es-8 and Ableton

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Lorik
Learning to Wiggle

Es-8 and Ableton

Post by Lorik » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:00 pm

Hey guys,

i‘m having a question regarding the connection between ES-8 & Ableton Live with CV Tools.

Is it possible to have my Scarlett 18i20 as my regular Audio Interface in the preferences where i route all my devices through to my Speakers & sametime having the ES-8 as my „second“ interface but only for In & Output routing of CV through the CV tools of ableton?

If yes how should i be setting that up?

Best Regards & thanks in advance

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Es-8 and Ableton

Post by os » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:36 am

First way is to use the ES-8 in 'standalone' mode, connecting it to the Focusrite via a pair of ADAT cables.

If you're on mac you can also combined both interfaces into an 'Aggregate' in the Audio MIDI Setup utility.

Lorik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lorik » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:58 am

that would mean i‘d need to connect them through the in & out from the es-8 to my scarlett, does that still make it possible to connect my es-6 to the es-8?

which benefits would i have if i connected the es-8 via adat to my scarlett interface?

i do use mac & set it up as you suggested with the aggregate device but that gives me a huge clock problem as i have the es-8 in internal clock mode, what would be neccessary to get that clock issue away?

thanks in advance

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:03 am

You can't use the ES-6 if you're using the ADAT to connect the ES-8 to the Focusrite.

Did you enable drift correction on the non-clock-master device in the aggregate?

Lorik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lorik » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 am

actually i didn‘t do that.

as the focusrite is my clock master i‘d need to set that one up as the master & therefore enable the drift correction on the es-8 am i right?

Return to “Expert Sleepers”