Possible bug with saving to 0 Disting Mk4?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Possible bug with saving to 0 Disting Mk4?

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Never had this happening before i was starting to use the Save (to 0) feature.

I had saved to 0, then after a few days i completely changed the map layout on the SD card, removed all folders but one (with wav's.)

Algoritm i1 wav player (and most other algo's too);

Out A and B were now constantly flashing (nothing plugged in to the Disting). Changing the Z-knob changes how fast they will flash. X seems to be tied to Z as well (tried the audio out, it triggered samples on its own, speed could be changed with using Z).

I tried going to other algoritms, coming back. Still flashing and triggering.

Power cycled, same. Re-flashed the latest FW, same. Used the old backup i had of what used to be on the card: everything is back to normal.

So it seems like it really doesn't like if you've saved to 0, it expects everything to be unchanged on the card, if it is, it will flip out in a flashing rage! :mad:

Maybe you're supposed to do something if you've saved to preset 0 and then change things on the card, and i've missed that?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Possible bug with saving to 0 Disting Mk4?

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:36 pm

I noticed now that there's a Select Bus option... maybe it was that. Not that i have it on. the tempo certainly looked like it was exactly the same as on the varigate 8+ i happen to have beside it. seems odd anyways, i don't think it's supposed to send triggers to it? it seems to be for recalling presets (pretty cool i have to say).

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:32 pm

The WAV algorithms save their folder and sample selection as simple indices into the list of folders/samples on the card. So if you save a preset, then change the card contents, the presets will be referring to the wrong folder/sample.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:27 pm

Ok! So what is the solution if you have saved a "0" preset which always loads at startup and you want to for example change to a new card, or just want to change the folder structure of the card?

To save again on 0 with the changed structure? I didn't dare doing it in case it would make something worse (saving in a buggy state didn't seem like a good idea).

because this bug (or whatever we should call it) made the whole unit completely unusable.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:36 am

Switching to a non-SD algorithm (which will automatically save that algorithm in slot 0) should do it.

Or if you can't even change algorithm, just pop the card out and power on. Without the card, it will never try to load the SD-based algorithm in the first place.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:09 am

Good to know, thanks again.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”