ES-9 with ES-5

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

remilandais
Learning to Wiggle

ES-9 with ES-5

Post by remilandais » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:36 am

Hello everyone,

I've just bought the ES-5 and connected it to me ES-9.
Do not understand how do I use ES-6 8 outputs in conjonction with my ES-9. I would have thought that these extra outputs would have appears when using the ES-9 as my sound card in my DAW (I am using Live 10).

I took a look in the manual and online but did not find an answer that I understand.

Thanks for your help

Best regards

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ES-9 with ES-5

Post by os » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:48 am

The ES-5 outputs are not for audio. They won't appear as extra outputs in your DAW.

You need to use software (e.g. Silent Way, max/msp, VCV) to generate signals for the ES-5, which you then send out via ES-9 channels 7/8 (by default).

remilandais
Learning to Wiggle

Post by remilandais » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:12 am

Thanks for your reply.

So, if I am correct: I add an instance of VCV rack on one of my live midi track, I configure it correctly and then my ES5 will output whatever voltage I want.
My question is: how do VCV "knows" that my ES5 is there ? Does it work automatically using silent way for VCV, when my ES9 (connected to my ES5) is used as my soundcard ?

Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:20 am

then my ES5 will output whatever voltage I want
The ES-5 outputs gates/clocks/triggers only - either 0V or 5V.

There's nothing automatic about it. You need to set up the software appropriately to generate the correct signals, and send them to the correct outputs on the ES-9.

chapatow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chapatow » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:38 pm

Still struggling with this issue as well, just bought both ES9 and ES5.

I have cv instrument enabled in Ableton, on a midi track playing some notes. Interface is ES9.
On CV Instrument: CV Gate to EXT. 7/8, this enables channel 1-7 on the ES5 all firing at once (note, channel 8 stays unlit)

Were should I specify that I only want channel 8, for instance, to fire when midi notes are playing?

Do I need Silent Way in order to accomplish this and utilise outputs1-8 on the ES5 separately?

Thanks in advance!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:43 pm

Yes, you need Silent Way (or the max or VCV plug-in). Ableton have not added ES-5 support to CV Tools (though I have asked more than once).

chapatow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chapatow » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:58 pm

thanks!
os wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:43 pm
Yes, you need Silent Way (or the max or VCV plug-in). Ableton have not added ES-5 support to CV Tools (though I have asked more than once).

mr_karlos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mr_karlos » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:08 pm

There is a good video on YouTube that explains how to build a project on Ableton that creates two CV devices using and ES8 and ES5.

I watched this at the same time I built the project. I recommend you have the Silent Way manual open as well.

If you invest the time to understand the patching and routing it will pay you back. There is a lot more flexibility in the Silent Way tools but you do need to spend some time to understand the tools.

chapatow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chapatow » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:39 am

thanks, appreciate it.
yeah it's not very obvious, thanks for the emotional support :P
mr_karlos wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:08 pm
There is a good video on YouTube that explains how to build a project on Ableton that creates two CV devices using and ES8 and ES5.

I watched this at the same time I built the project. I recommend you have the Silent Way manual open as well.

If you invest the time to understand the patching and routing it will pay you back. There is a lot more flexibility in the Silent Way tools but you do need to spend some time to understand the tools.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”