ES-40 + ESX-8GT + ESX-8CV Setup in Live 10?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

morbank
Common Wiggler

ES-40 + ESX-8GT + ESX-8CV Setup in Live 10?

Post by morbank » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:46 am

I'd like to be able to use a MIDI sequence running in Live with my ES-40/ESX-8GT/ESX-8CV to generate 6 gates (for notes 36-42 for drum sounds) and 6 CVs (from MIDI velocity) from to be fed to my modular. I have watched the videos demonstrating the ESX-8CV and I have read the manual, but I can't find information that explains how I might use the ES-40, ESX-8GT and ESX-8CV in the manner described above. I have the ES-4 Controller working (using just the Gates) with the ESX-8GT but I am struggling to figure out how to use it in conjunction with the ESX-8CV. I know I need to use the ESX-8CV Combiner, but I'm not sure how to set it up to receive the MIDI velocity signal. In my case would I put the ESX-8CV Combiner on it's own track in Live, or would it share the same track as the ES-4 Controller? If it is on it's own track do I need to route the MIDI sequence to the input of that track? Do I send the output of the Combiner track to my S/PDIF out? What should I have the Combiners Thru set to? Do I need to use the "Input To Gates" section on the ES-4 Controller? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ES-40 + ESX-8GT + ESX-8CV Setup in Live 10?

Post by os » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:35 am

First you need something to generate the velocity CVs. I would suggest 6 instances of SW Trigger.

You then route those through the ESX-8CV Combiner. The Combiner would be on the same track as the ES-4 Controller. Then route the SW Trigger tracks to 6 inputs on the Combiner plug-in.

morbank
Common Wiggler

Post by morbank » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:14 am

os wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:35 am
First you need something to generate the velocity CVs. I would suggest 6 instances of SW Trigger.

You then route those through the ESX-8CV Combiner.
Do I do this using Live's track output? On the SW Trigger Live track am I setting the "Output Type" to ES-4 and then selecting a pair of outputs, Example: "3/4-SW ESX-8CV Combiner"? If so am I setting all 6 SW Triggers to the same output? And then am I setting the "Inputs" "Thru" in the Combiner to "3/4" as well?

In SW Trigger plugins do I need to set anything besides the MIDI note and mode? I'm guessing I would I use "Envelope" for the mode?
os wrote:
The Combiner would be on the same track as the ES-4 Controller.
Does it matter which plugin is first? Controller/Combiner or Combiner/Controller?
os wrote:
Then route the SW Trigger tracks to 6 inputs on the Combiner plug-in.
Can you explain how to do this?

For the 6 Live tracks with the SW Trigger plugins on them, am I setting their "MIDI From" input to the MIDI sequence or should the input be set to "No Input"?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:37 am

>> Do I do this using Live's track output?

Yes.

>> On the SW Trigger Live track am I setting the "Output Type" to ES-4

Where do you see "Output Type"?

>> I'm guessing I would I use "Envelope" for the mode?

I'd assumed "Velocity" mode.

>> Does it matter which plugin is first?

No.

>> Can you explain how to do this?
Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 08.37.00.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

morbank
Common Wiggler

Post by morbank » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:08 am

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the routing between these plugins. Perhaps you could show me the correct settings via my Live file?

>> "Where do you see "Output Type"?"
On the SW Trigger Live track (see image):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

morbank
Common Wiggler

Post by morbank » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:11 am

Forgot to mention... My ESX-8GT is on header #3 and my ESX-8CV is on header #1 on my ES-40.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:59 am

>> Perhaps you could show me the correct settings via my Live file?

You've basically got the idea, but leave the Combiner plug-in Inputs section at defaults. In particular, you'll want Thru as 1/2.

morbank
Common Wiggler

Post by morbank » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:53 pm

os wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:59 am
You've basically got the idea, but leave the Combiner plug-in Inputs section at defaults. In particular, you'll want Thru as 1/2.
Ah, yes. Now it all makes sense! Thank you for your patience Os!

Return to “Expert Sleepers”