disting mk4 thoughts

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

RogerStrom
Learning to Wiggle

disting mk4 thoughts

Post by RogerStrom » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:03 pm

Every two month (more or less) we get a free update which adds new amazing and useful stuff - that´s totally awesome. Thanks for that, OS!!!

But slowly the Disting turns a bit into a mess in my opinion. It does so much that it became almost unusable for me without the Illustrated Manual
opend on the PC while patching.
- The algorithms are spread all over the place (A3&M4, D2&M6, FX/CV/Audio...there´s no order).
- Some algos change parameters vie Z knob and some via the S knob.
- Some have the knob recorder, some not.
- Text files are not a help for me cause they take forever to read on the small
display.
...you all get the point.

Personally I think the Disting´s OS could need an overhaul which groups the algorithms or allows us to change the order via a list. Availability of the
knob recorder/tap tempo could be indicated by a sign (like C*1) or a blinking Z-jack.
Help files could be re-written to be as short and informative as possible.

That´s only my point of view. Sure other users have even more ideas how to improve the workflow.

Thanks OS for making this module better with every update!

Scott M2
Common Wiggler

Post by Scott M2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:00 am

RogerStrom wrote: Personally I think the Disting´s OS could need an overhaul which groups the algorithms or allows us to change the order via a list.
You can arrange a short list. From the manual:

"You can define your own list of 16 'favourite' algorithms, via a text file on the MicroSD card.

The favourites are accessed as algorithms O1-P8. If no favourites are defined, or if there are empty slots, the disting runs algorithm A1, the Precision Adder.
The favourites are read from the SD card, if present, at power on. They are then stored in the disting's flash memory, and so persist even after the card is removed.

The favourites file is a simple text file which must be named 'favourites.txt' and placed in the root of the SD card (not inside any folder). The contents look something like this:

disting favourites v2
B8 VCO
a1
C5 resonator
I4 SD z speed
b5 LFO
e6 dual AR w/ push

The first line must be "disting favourites v2". Subsequent lines specify an algorithm to add to the list of favourites. After 16 algorithms, any further lines are ignored.

Each algorithm is specified as its two character name (a letter followed by a number). Any further text after the algorithm number is ignored, so you can add a descriptive string (as in the example above) to help you remember what's what."

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by ForAiur » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:25 am

RogerStrom wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:03 pm
Every two month (more or less) we get a free update which adds new amazing and useful stuff - that´s totally awesome. Thanks for that, OS!!!

But slowly the Disting turns a bit into a mess in my opinion. It does so much that it became almost unusable for me without the Illustrated Manual
opend on the PC while patching.
- The algorithms are spread all over the place (A3&M4, D2&M6, FX/CV/Audio...there´s no order).
- Some algos change parameters vie Z knob and some via the S knob.
- Some have the knob recorder, some not.
- Text files are not a help for me cause they take forever to read on the small
display.
...you all get the point.

Personally I think the Disting´s OS could need an overhaul which groups the algorithms or allows us to change the order via a list. Availability of the
knob recorder/tap tempo could be indicated by a sign (like C*1) or a blinking Z-jack.
Help files could be re-written to be as short and informative as possible.

That´s only my point of view. Sure other users have even more ideas how to improve the workflow.

Thanks OS for making this module better with every update!
True. We need a Disting V with a crisp screen, OR, to keep cost down, we need a Disting V that has a expander on the back that connects to a display module and either they connect to each other or the display module has 8 inputs.

And the last Disting you touched is shown on the screen, so you have 1 nice screen for 8 or so distings. That would remove all the problems, not make the disting itself more expensive (maybe even cheaper without a screen).

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by StillNotWorking » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:22 pm

ForAiur wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:25 am
True. We need a Disting V with a crisp screen, OR, to keep cost down, we need a Disting V that has a expander on the back that connects to a display module and either they connect to each other or the display module has 8 inputs.

And the last Disting you touched is shown on the screen, so you have 1 nice screen for 8 or so distings. That would remove all the problems, not make the disting itself more expensive (maybe even cheaper without a screen).
But can't we already use any screen and controls we want through the midi port?
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

mr_karlos
Learning to Wiggle

Re: disting mk4 thoughts

Post by mr_karlos » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:03 am

I agree on the organisation of the algorithms. I think the favourites are good way forward for thing used frequently. I also think the suggestion of a separate text file that holds the organisation of the algorithms is a good one.

I think the screen ideas are bettered by the MaxForLive plugin.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:36 am

Get the Modes app on your phone. It has made my O+C and Distings sooooo much easier to use.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:44 am

Haven't tried it yet as I don't have midi enabled for my Mk 4's but there is a Lemur template that looks to me like the way to go if you want a more friendly user interface.

Details and file in this thread

viewtopic.php?p=3154374#p3154374

Not sure how/if it works with multiple Distings. Be interested to know if anyone has tried it because, if it does work with more than one unit I'd be tempted to get the midi breakout

Return to “Expert Sleepers”