Audient soundcard + ext preamp + es-8 clocking

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

sek
Learning to Wiggle

Audient soundcard + ext preamp + es-8 clocking

Post by sek » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:43 pm

hello Expert Sleepers.

I have "Audient ASP-800" 8 channel preamp (Master clock, 48Khz) connected to "Audient ID-14" soundcard via ADAT (slave) then to Mac Mini via USB. this way this devices run smoothly without pops, clicks or any error while recording or monitoring.

I use PureData a lot (similar program like Max/Msp) and VCV Rack. I want to use them with modular.

I'm planning to buy Audient ID-44 as soundcard and ES-8 for standalone ADAT modular bridge.

if I understand correctly;

ID-44 has 2 inputs and 2 outputs of ADAT port capable of running 2 x 8 inputs and 2 x 8 outputs on 48Khz recording and monitoring. Souncard also have a BNC Clock OUT and Preamp has BNC Clock IN port. Both soundcard and preamp are capable to send or receive clock via ADAT.

so the plan is connect ASP-800 and ES-8 to ID-44's ADAT inputs, and connect ID-44's ADAT out to ES-8's ADAT in and leave ES-8 in standalone mode. (not connect to computer via USB and no aggregated device setup) so have it like 20 ins and 10 outs on one audio device with a reliable clock sync.

my question is do you think is it possible to distribute clock between them, how connection should be made and do you think is it gonna be a sturdy clock distribution without pops and clicks and errors between them?

manuals for ID-44
https://audient.com/products/audio-inte ... downloads/

manuals and clocking examples for ASP-800
https://audient.com/products/mic-pres/asp800/downloads/

Thanks

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Audient soundcard + ext preamp + es-8 clocking

Post by os » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:28 am

That sounds fine, if the ASP-800 continues to be the master clock.

I would consider though using an ES-3/ES-6 instead of the ES-8.

sek
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Audient soundcard + ext preamp + es-8 clocking

Post by sek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:34 am

Thanks a lot.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”