Silent Way in Cubase 5 -- any particular version or tips to make it work?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Aanon
Learning to Wiggle

Silent Way in Cubase 5 -- any particular version or tips to make it work?

Post by Aanon » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:15 pm

I'm running Cubase 5.1.2 on Windows XP machine (32 bit, SP3). I'm running into a problem getting Silentway plugins to work.

My final goal is to send midi clock using the ES-4 plugin & ES-40/ESX-8MD hardware. I have done this many times before on other DAWs and other platforms, so I know how it's supposed to work in general. However, so far I can't get the ES-4 plugin working properly.
  • Cubase 5 is supposed to be VST3 compatible. However, when I put Silentway 2.7.0 or 2.8.0 VST3 into what I believe are the correct folders for Cubase [Program Files/Steinway/Cubase 5/vst3 or Program Files/Common Files/VST3], no expert sleeper plugins ever appear in Cubase.
  • When I tried an older first generation VST version (1.7.1 VST) in the appropriate folder for VST type plugins, this time the expert sleepers plugins did appear properly in Cubase but the edit windows for the plugins would not open properly (I would only see a tiny box with no controls inside it). I could verify that the ES-4 plugin was sending signal to the SPDIF output, as it should, but I could not get in to make the settings as I need them to be for sending MIDI clock with offset adjustment, SPP, choosing ports etc.
Does anyone have knowledge of how to get this working? I know Cubase 5 is not the latest and greatest, but I'm happy with it apart from this one niggle.

Aanon

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Silent Way in Cubase 5 -- any particular version or tips to make it work?

Post by DJMaytag » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:23 pm

Cubase might just be THE worst DAW for Silent Way, at least as far as anything that uses the ES-4/5 Controller plugins. There’s no way of routing (that I’ve ever been able to get to work, and I have Cubase 9.5 Pro) the signals to the inputs of the ES-4/5 Controller plugins. Steinberg is strictly adhering to their VST3 protocol, such that you’re not supposed to route things like you can easily do in Ableton & Reason, etc.

Once Reason added VST support, I pretty quickly dumped Cubase in favor of using Reason full time. While I’ve been using both programs together since the early 2000’s, it wasn’t a choice I took lightly. I had been considering migrating to Ableton, mulling it over for at least a year, and thankfully Propellerheads made the change to adding VST’s while I was shopping around for a good deal on a second hand Ableton license. I had a spend some time figuring out how to route things in Reason, but it’s a total breeze and quite possibly the easiest DAW to use Silent Way with (IMHO)!
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

Return to “Expert Sleepers”