Whine from ES-9

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Durdee
Learning to Wiggle

Whine from ES-9

Post by Durdee » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:06 pm

Hello,
I’m absolutely loving my ES-9, it’s made all sorts of interactions possible that I never considered before. But I do have one little issue and I’m not sure if it’s been here the whole time or not... I noticed after stopping a sequence that there is a high-pitched whine coming from the balanced output. I can hear the same sound from the headphone output but only if it’s cranked way beyond a reasonable volume. I checked to see if it was any of my various electronics nearby by turning them all off, still happening. Disconnected the USB hub and ran it straight into my iPad. Still there. Tried running the audio through both AUM and Audiobus. Still there, but maybe a little quieter through Audiobus? I then created a loop through output 9 and 10 and back into 3 and 4 so i could run it through an EQ, and it seems to cut off fully if I run a low pass filter to about 1kHz. Any idea what this could be? Maybe it’s my mixer? I switched through all of my USB cables to see if it was a cable problem, too. No change. Doesn’t matter if there’s an input or not. :despair:

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Whine from ES-9

Post by os » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:36 am

How are you adjusting the monitoring level going to your speakers? By turning down the speakers, or turning down the signal in the DAW going to the ES-9? Ideally you're doing the former.

Durdee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Durdee » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Os,
Normally I’d turn down the DAW but in this case, the noise is present whether the DAW is involved or not. I used the configuration tool to adjust the output of the module but haven’t checked it yet. I thought maybe it was just a little hot on the outs. I’ve got the pads enabled on my mixer and input gain at 0db so I’m pretty sure it’s not that.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:38 pm

My point was, if the ES-9 is going into a mixer, turn it down on the mixer, not in the ES-9 config tool or in the DAW that's driving the ES-9.

Durdee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Durdee » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:46 pm

I’m still getting this intermittently but I’m quite sure it’s a software thing and has nothing to do with the ES-9. At this time it seems isolated to AUM, which is unfortunate because I use that the most, but i guess it gives me the opportunity to learn Audiobus a bit better. Thanks for your time!

Return to “Expert Sleepers”