ES-9 randomly disconnects

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Polyterative
Learning to Wiggle

ES-9 randomly disconnects

Post by Polyterative » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:35 am

I'm happy with the module, it's great, but I'm unable to get it working indefinitely without it disconnecting by itelf.

When connectected to my PC after some time (can be 30 sec, can be 30 minutes) it randomly stops responding and my PC can't see it anymore. The only solution is to cut power to the module.
Also it 'clicks' just before windows sends sounds to it (like notifications, or applications like chrome).

I'm using the official driver downloaded from official site, updated windows 10 and updated Ableton Live.

I've tried :
  • changing computers
  • changing usb port
  • changing usb cable
  • reinstalling drivers
  • changing "allow applications to take priority"
Here is a video

Thanks

mr_karlos
Learning to Wiggle

Re: ES-9 randomly disconnects

Post by mr_karlos » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:33 am

I had a problem with similar symptoms. I traced my issue to the cable. I now use a new cable with higher quality metal plugs and I haven't had an issue since it swapped.

Polyterative
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polyterative » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:34 am

Is anyone with a AMD Ryzen CPU using the ES-9 succesfully? I have a 3700X.
I found out that a laptop with an Intel CPU works fine-ish with my unit. Still clicks pre audio.

I'm pretty sad, I waited a month for this and I can't make it work. I just want to finally play with my first rack

Polyterative
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polyterative » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:40 am

Found problem's cause. Wrote an official mail to os. Pasting it here for future users.

TL:DR
The ES-9 randomly freezes when using an AMD Radeon 5700XT graphics card is used in a windows 10 system, regardless of settings and DAW.

The problem:
The ES-9, when connected to my PC randomly stops responding after some time (can be 30 sec, can be 30 minutes) and my PC can't see it anymore. The only solution is to cut power to the module. It also crashes more often when using MaxForLive devices in Live.
Also it 'clicks' just before windows sends sounds to it (like notifications, or applications like chrome) but at this point I think it's normal.

An alternative ASIO audio interface (scarlett 2i2) works with no issues with the same project.

Reproducibility
The problem is 100% reproducible with the following Ableton Live project Download link. Open and wiggle the scrollbar like in video below.
Or just use some MaxForLive devices in ableton changing rendering fast.

PC settings in video description

-------------------------------------------------------

Reproduced error demo:
in different sample rates settings (ES-9) and proof of work with alternative audio interface (scarlett 2i2):

ES-9 crash debugging - Radeon 5700XT GPU
CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: Radeon 5700XT / 144Hz screen / Adrenalin 20.2.2 driver RAM 32 Gb OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 - build 1909 DAW: Genuine Ableton 10.0.9 - Bund...
youtu.be

Demo of the same project working
with different graphics card (nvidia 1050ti by EVGA) with ES-9:

ES-9 test with NVIDIA card
CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: Nvidia 1050ti / 144Hz screen / 442.50 WHQL driver RAM 32 Gb OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 - build 1909 DAW: Genuine Ableton 10.0.9 - Bundled M...
youtu.be

What I've tried to solve the issue:
changing computer - (a mac works fine with same project)
changing usb port
changing usb cable
reinstalling ES-9 drivers
reinstalling DAW
reinstalling Windows
reinstalling GPU drivers (also tried AMD business drivers, no luck)
using monitor @60 fps (instead of 144hz)
changing "allow applications to take priority" in windows panel

Computer Specs (in video description too):
CPU: Ryzen 3700X
GPU: Radeon 5700XT / 144Hz screen / Adrenalin 20.2.2 driver
RAM 32 Gb
DAW: Genuine Ableton 10.0.9 - Bundled MaxForLive
ES-9: firmware 1.1 - official ASIO driver
Alternative audio interface: scarlett 2i2 - official ASIO drivers

Final considerations:
I'm 100% sure this is a software problem of some kind, and I hope solvable with a firmware update.
Somehow the ES-9 communication protocols with ASIO are different than my other ASIO audio interface.
The video rendering of MaxForLive devices is interfering with the communication somehow.
The problem only exists when using my AMD graphics card instead of an NVIDIA one, or the AMD with barebone drivers installed.

witchbutter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by witchbutter » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:11 pm

I am having serious issues with this now on a Macbook Pro Late 2016. I thought it was just the cables at first, but there is no reliable cable at this point. I use short length USB-C and it still disconnects. At this point no matter what cable I use it seems that I get the spinning beach ball in Live.

Hardware:
MBP 15" Late 2016, MacOS 10.14.6
I have an Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core running over TB3
I have an EGPU running a Radeon RX Vega 56

Polyterative
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polyterative » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:28 am

I think I solved this issue just yesterday,
a member on muff suggested to try with my graphics card in PCIe gen3 mode, I tried and it didn't crash with the usual project.

I spent the whole day working with it and it worked perfectly.
It makes sense since the NVIDIA card was using PCIe3 because it can't run at gen4.

Is yours running @PCIe4?
Does it freeze like mine(in video)?

Return to “Expert Sleepers”