ES-3mk4/ES-5: signal bleed from Gates 2/4/5 to Gates 3?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

ES-3mk4/ES-5: signal bleed from Gates 2/4/5 to Gates 3?

Post by DJMaytag » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:42 pm

I’m configuring my default setup in my DAW so I don’t have to reinvent the wheel everytime, and I’m noticing an issue that I’ve never seen before. This is with an ES-3mk4 that just arrived this week, and I’ve tested it with two different ES-5 versions, with the same result.

I’m getting some sort of bleed, such that anything going it to my ESX-8MDmk1 (Gates 2), ESX-8MDmk2 (Gates 4), or ESX-8GTmk3 (Gates 5) is also appearing at one of ESX-8CVmk1’s (Gates 3).

I’ve eliminated the problem of it being an ES-5 issue, testing it with two different versions of an ES-5 (mk2 and mk3), and have swapped cables on my two ESX-8CVmk1’s, and the problem stays with whichever one is connected to Gates 3.

Any thoughts on what the heck could cause this to happen?
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ES-3mk4/ES-5: signal bleed from Gates 2/4/5 to Gates 3?

Post by os » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:20 am

I’m getting some sort of bleed, such that anything going it to my ESX-8MDmk1 (Gates 2), ESX-8MDmk2 (Gates 4), or ESX-8GTmk3 (Gates 5) is also appearing at one of ESX-8CVmk1’s (Gates 3).
How is it appearing? As a full scale gate/trigger, like on the 8MD/8GT? Or as noise? Something else?

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:14 am

I decided to reconfigure where I attach things, to best work around the low level muting issue that Reason suffers from (for which there is no easy workaround like there is with a text file setting in Ableton).

That said, it appeared as a full-scale trigger on both 2-1 and 3-1, then switching it to 2-2... it would appear on 3-2, and so on. When this was happening with an ESX-8MD each on GT2 and GT3, that obviously wasn’t going to work without corrupting MIDI going out on the 8MD on GT3.

I switched around connections and put an 8CV on GT3, and what would happen would be that there would be VERY faint blinks on ALL of the output lights instead of the corresponding output on GT3. I also noticed this was happening to GT3 no matter what GT was sending a signal, be it GT2, GT4, GT5, or GT6. I didn’t notice any issues with GT1.

Since I changed out ES-5’s, I can rule out an bad ES-5. I suppose it’s possible that a cable is bad between the ES-3 and ES-5, or between GT3 and whatever is connected to GT3 (I have color coded cables and change connections at the expander, not the ES-5, as the wiring behind all this stuff is a MESS).

Anyway, unless it’s 100% obvious, I wouldn’t worry too much about a solution. I have a better setup working 100% now after pulling out an 8CV, and configuring it like this:

GT1: ES-5 & ESX-8GTmk3
GT2: ESX-8MD
GT3: unused
GT4: ESX-8MD
GT-5: ESX-8GTmk1
GT-6: ESX-8CVmk1

Outputs GT2-1 and GT5-1 get muted in Reason (lowest bit associates with those GT channels), but sending a MIDI clock thru an ES-5 controller to GT1-1 keeps 2-1 from being muted. I just need to figure out a routing to do the same for 5-1 now (should be easy enough).

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:27 pm

I’m not sure what the difference is, but I slapped my extra 8CV in on GT3, and I’m not getting any interference or noise this time around. Maybe there was something unique to the 8MD on GT3 that was causing some crosstalk, or maybe the header on 8MDmk1 was doing something to the ES-5 (they were next to each other) or maybe swapping the 8MD positions stopped it? The 8MDmk2 is now to the right of the ES-5, with the 8MDmk1 to the right of the other 8MD.

EDIT: my original config was this, prior to my OP:

GT1: ES-5
GT2: ESX-8MDmk1
GT3: ESX-8MDmk2
GT4: ESX-8GTmk3
GT5: ESX-8CVmk1
GT6: ESX-8CVmk1

Return to “Expert Sleepers”