ES8 broken?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

gerlado
Learning to Wiggle

ES8 broken?

Post by gerlado » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:09 pm

Hi,

I have had my ES8 for roughly a year, no problems what so ever. Been using it together with an external audio interface.
Recently I got rid of the external audio interface and added ES6 for more inputs. This is when problems started occuring.
Today, I only use the ES8+ES6 as audio interface, connected directly over USB running on MacOSX v10.14.2 (Mojave).

My problem is that the ins and outs are incorrectly registered (as seen in the MIDI-options), often 0 in and 16 out out, sometimes 8 in and 0 out. When the wrong ins and outs are registered ES8 doesn't work properly, Ableton can recognize the device etc.

By connecting/disconnecting the USB cable from the module a couple of times, it always works in the end and everything runs smoothly.
However, this is some weird and irritating bug and makes the power-up phase of a jam taking alot of time and frustration.

Is my ES8 faulty? Is there a warranty? Any advice is welcome.
I have alot of spare power and no power problems in my system.
I have tried different USB-cables, and different USB-ports on my computer. Tried with and without USB-hubs. Always the same problem.

My problem is similar as this thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=227988&p=3208941&h ... m#p3208941

Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ES8 broken?

Post by os » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:45 am

Any reason you're not on 10.14.6?

gerlado
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gerlado » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:45 am

No, just havn't updated. I can update to Catalina if you think it could help. Will try tonight :)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:06 am

The latest Mojave would be a lower risk move.

gerlado
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gerlado » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:39 pm

Just updated MacOsX but the exact same problem occurs.

However, I tried disconnecting the bus cable between ES6 and ES8. When the ES6 is disconnected, the ES8 works perfectly.
Makes sense, since it was when I installed ES6 the problems started occuring. As soon as a I plug the ES6 in, the bug starts occuring again with the incorrect number of in/out registered. I can send screenshots if you like.

Note that the ES6 works if I power up a couple of times (as described earlier), so it can't be that I connected the ES6/ES8 cable or toslink cable incorrectly, right?

Anyway, I think I found a (not so pretty) work around by coincidence. I just realized it seems to work most of the times if I take the following steps:
1. Power up, without the toslink cable connected to ES8 (this seems to be key)
2. Connect USB cable (computer to ES8)
3. Connect the toslink cable (ES6 and ES8)

I will try this and see if this work around is stable :)

gerlado
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gerlado » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Just wanna confirm that this seems to work.
That is, connect the toslink cable between ES8 and ES6 after the ES8 has been powered up and connected to the computer via USB.
Maybe this should be added to the manual?

Anyway, thanks for outstanding modules!

Return to “Expert Sleepers”