computer cannot see disting WAV recordings

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

viilis
Learning to Wiggle

computer cannot see disting WAV recordings

Post by viilis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:00 pm

I just tried to empty out a bunch of .wav recordings from the SD card to my computer. The computer did not see them. I then discovered this latest update, but although I updated to 4.14.2, the computer still doesn't see them. The files are there, as I can play them back on the Disting. How can I get my computer to see the files? I'm on Windows 10. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, maybe try a downgrade like the person a couple of posts above?
os wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:42 am
24th February 2020 - v4.14.2:

* Fixed a bug which could prevent the disting seeing some or all of the files or folders on the SD card.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: disting mk4 firmware announcement thread

Post by os » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:58 am

v4.14.2 was to fix the disting not seeing all the files - it won't have any effect on whether the computer can read the card or not.

Does the computer see any files on the card? Ones that were there before you made the recordings?

(Going to split this out to a new thread btw.)

viilis
Learning to Wiggle

Re: computer cannot see disting WAV recordings

Post by viilis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Oh, that's right, I wasn't reading very carefully. Sorry.

I think I can see files that I have placed on the SD card using the computer. The folders with recordings made on the Disting are not showing up at all. When I look at the card using the I1 algorithm, folders 0 and 1 named !RECORD1 and !RECORD, but theses two just don't show up when I put the card in an adapter and stick it in my Windows machine.

I remember having problems a while back with overstuffed recording folders and playback algos processing the files for extended periods. I can't remember if I powered down during processing. (Yikes!) I don't think I did. Could that mess up my card so that the computer doesn't see the folders but Disting does?

I had a look at the card with a file recovery software named Recuva, but didn't see anything useful.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:51 pm

If you can make an image of the card (something like this https://www.ubackup.com/imaging/making- ... -4125.html) I don't mind having a look at it.

viilis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viilis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:59 pm

Sure. Should I use compression or not, in case it matters?
I'll email you later today with a download link or something.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:06 pm

Ideally not. You can always zip it after.

viilis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viilis » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:21 am

Image file sent via Filemail, you should get an email notification.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:26 am

Got it. It's downloading at the speed of cheese though, and timed out once already.

viilis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viilis » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:01 am

Good! Sorry, most of the free file transfer services were limited to file sizes below 5 or 2 GB or whatever so I went with this one. The upload speed was pretty bad too.

BTW I was listening through my recordings on algorithm I1 and had a hard time trying to select the desired sample with the Z knob. The folder has 60 wav files, so the voltage windows you need to hit get pretty small for sure. Also, since the Z knob has kind of a "loose" feel, it will sometimes drift away from the setting causing playback to glitch (I guess starting over repeatedly). Don't know if that's something that could be addressed in code or if it's just the physical limitations of the hardware starting to show. Obviously this won't be a problem once I start to organize my files into folders like a sensible person, but I thought I'd share the observation.

viilis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by viilis » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:05 am

Oh, and there's a desktop app that will probably let you resume the download if it times out: https://www.filemail.com/apps/desktop

Return to “Expert Sleepers”