USAMO Clock Command Specs

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

USAMO Clock Command Specs

Post by CamAdair » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:47 pm

Does the USAMO receive and send Start, Stop, Continue, and Song Position Pointer messages?
Is it able to run from printed audio code and not only the plugin?
Will it run DIN Sync machines?
If I put a MIDI through splitter box after it would it cause any problems multiplying the clock?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: USAMO Clock Command Specs

Post by os » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:54 pm

>>Does the USAMO receive and send Start, Stop, Continue, and Song Position Pointer messages?

It sends all MIDI messages.

>> Is it able to run from printed audio code and not only the plugin?

If you capture the plug-in output, you can replay that to the USAMO, but in practice that's unlikely to be convenient.

>> Will it run DIN Sync machines?

No.

>> If I put a MIDI through splitter box after it would it cause any problems multiplying the clock?

If it's a dumb splitter (just an electrical connection) it won't degrade the clock. Any MIDI patchbay/splitter that contains any processing may affect the timing.

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:28 pm

Thanks,
A couple more questions:
Would it sync from ppqn clock and start/stop printed to tape?
Is getting it to sync DIN sync just a matter of connecting a different pin? Would a kenton MIDI to DIN box add latency?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:24 am

>>Would it sync from ppqn clock and start/stop printed to tape?

No.

>>Is getting it to sync DIN sync just a matter of connecting a different pin?

No.

>>Would a kenton MIDI to DIN box add latency?

Yes.

Have a look at https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/esx8md.html

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm

Thanks again,
Ive looked at the SPDIF and ADAT euro solutions but want to stick to analog audio for now.
Is there a list of compatible "dumb" or discreet splitters/ thru boxes that don't add latency to the USAMO?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:50 am

I don't have one.

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Thu May 21, 2020 10:21 pm

Hi again Andrew,
If I went the ES-40 and ESX-8MD rout and added a ESX-8CV, would I be able to send 24PPQ clock and start/stop messages out of the ESX-8CV outputs via Silent Way?
Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri May 22, 2020 2:30 am

You would be better to add an ESX-8GT, or use the ESX-8MD, for clocks outputs. It will work with the ESX-8CV but the timing won't be as good.

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Fri May 22, 2020 8:03 pm

thanks,
do you need two separate gate outputs for the start/stop pulse and the clock pulse itself?

ultimately I want the ability to have sample accurate midi (over midi cable), DIN sync (over din cable), cv, gate, and clock (over 1/8").
could you do this with just a ES-4 and use the 3 gate outputs for clock and midi?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat May 23, 2020 3:45 am

No, still need one of the expanders for MIDI.

The ESX-8MD will do MIDI and DINsync for you.

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Tue May 26, 2020 1:02 am

gotcha, couldn't you just use one of those 1/8" to 5pin din cables out of the gate outputs?

also, do you need two separate gate outputs for a start/stop ppq pulse and the ppq clock pulse itself? most gear accepts the start/stop on the ring and clock on the tip of a TS. would you need a Y cable coming out of two gate outputs on a ESX-8GT or ES-4 or could you just use one output from the module?

thanks for your answers. im modular agnostic but I want tight timing... trying to plan it out before I buy the rig.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue May 26, 2020 2:40 am

Yes, you need two separate gate outputs to make a DIN sync signal. That equates to two outputs from the module.

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Thu May 28, 2020 12:50 am

so the 8MD only does run or clock per din jack? it doesnt send the start/stop (run) on pin 1 and clock on pin 3 on the same jack? in the demo video its only clock to one and run to the other machine, not really a full din sync.

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Thu May 28, 2020 1:03 am

oh I see its pin 1 and 3 mirrored every two! why is it labeled "clock" and "run" then?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu May 28, 2020 2:27 am

The labels are for the LEDs.

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:59 pm

I got an es-40 esx-gt and doepfer mini case. It took a little fiddling but Its syncing with clock and run signals from SW Sync demo. Im on an apogee symphony SPDIF in pro tools btw. still have to test midi out of the esx-gt. i cant believe it worked!

a couple unexpected things for anyone jumping in blind like I was:
1. you have to drill the handle on the doepfer case yourself and
2. the 10 pin ribbon goes to the GT1 10 pin of the ES-40 and the 16 pin goes to the power on the case. this was not obvious to me at first.

are there any current coupon codes for purchasing silent way?

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:21 pm

Hi again,
The clocks and midi are working fine out of the ESX-8GT.

I've added a ESX-8CV to control a monosynth's CV in addition to gate. I've opened an instance of SW Voice Controller and am sending MIDI to it. It is then followed by SW ES-4 Controller.

I am still not getting the MIDI to CV and gate coming out of the ESX-8CV on ES-40 header 1 and ESX-8GT on ES-40 header 2 respecitvely. Ive watched the attached video but can't decipher all of it.

What am I doing wrong?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:59 am

Hard to tell. Can you attach your song file, or at least a screenshot?

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:27 pm

Here is the setup:
ES-40 with ESX-8CV on Header 1 and ESX-8GT on header 2.
ESX-8CV output 1 connected to monosynth CV in
and ESX-8GT output 5 to monosynth gate in.

CLOCK I is a stereo track for existing MIDI and clock SW ES-4 Controller and Sync instances sending to the ESX-8GT. These plugins require a stereo track.
SW Voice Controller requires a Mono track so I put it on a new track, CLOCK II.
I'm not sure why the mono/stereo track distinction is necessary.
OUT 9-10 is SPDIF to the ES-40.

The MIDI sent to SW Voice Controller appears to be being sent out of ES-40 Header 2 ESX-8GT on all 8 outputs and not on Header 1 ESX-8CV at all. I don't fully understand whats going on here or how to rout note number data to CV out of "Output 1/1" and note on/off data to gate out of "Output 2/5"

The ESX-8CV outputs are seemingly arbitrarily lit up red and blue.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:02 pm

I got it running on ESX-8CV CV on Output 1/1 and gate on Output 1/2 based on the below video. Unlike the video, there is nothing on outputs 1/3-1/6.
How do you assign the three envelopes, trigger, CV and gate to other outputs? Is it possible to run the gate on the ESX-8GT and the CV on the ESX-8CV?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:18 am

If you're using the Voice Controller in ESX-8CV hardware mode (i.e. not using the ESX-8CV Combiner plug-in) you should get the envelopes on outputs 3-5 by default.

Going back to your screenshot above, you can't have two tracks both feeding the S/PDIF channels. You need to insert all the plug-ins that drive the ES-40 on a single track.

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:06 pm

I put the SW all on one SPDIF track. In Pro Tools, Voice Controller has to come first followed by instances of ES-4 Controller and Sync.

I'm actually having a separate problem with the MIDI conversion coming out of the 8GT.
It's working flawlessly for some hardware but for others it drops note on and note off messages, making it unusable. My Oberheim doesn't like the data its getting.

Screenshot is ES-4 Controller settings for the Oberheim that doesnt like the 8GT MIDI. It's all default except the output assignments to 2/2. What might be happening here?
ES 8GT midi problem.jpg

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

SW Voice Controller MIDI to CV

Post by CamAdair » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:02 pm

Is it possible to assign MIDI CC numbers to convert to CV rather than triggered envelopes in Voice Controller or LFO?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:04 am

CamAdair wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:06 pm
I'm actually having a separate problem with the MIDI conversion coming out of the 8GT.
It's working flawlessly for some hardware but for others it drops note on and note off messages, making it unusable. My Oberheim doesn't like the data its getting.
For this reason there's the ESX-8MD. The 8GT doesn't generate proper MIDI as per the electrical spec - it's a bit of a hack.

CamAdair
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CamAdair » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 pm

Hi Os,

Thanks, My follow up question was regarding the MIDI. Before buying an ESX-8MD, I wanted to ask what exactly is going on with the MIDI to be sure it's going to work.
My Oberheim mentioned above actually has the same errors as with Silent Way ES-4 Controller as when tested with an older Roland UM-ONE USB midi interface. It doesn't respond to some note on and/or note off messages.

With a newer Roland UM-ONE USB MIDI interface I have, it works perfect. The newer Roland UM-ONE has a switch to choose the driver from "TAB" to "COMP", using your OS driver or the Roland driver, and I assume is handling MIDI data differently.

What I'm wondering here is whats the difference in the data? Why does an older MIDI interface cause the same errors as Silent Way ES-4 Controller through an ESX-8GT? Does the ESX-8MD have the same newer or better MIDI spec like this newer Roland interface? You said it an electrical spec, is that all? Whats the difference and , ultimately, will an ESX-8MD do the job?

Thanks again

Return to “Expert Sleepers”