ES-9 Click when audio first plays

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

DisappearHere
Learning to Wiggle

ES-9 Click when audio first plays

Post by DisappearHere » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:31 am

Just fired up the ES-9 and it works great with Ableton, routing is exactly as expected.
However, I find that when I first start playing any audio after a pause of a minute or so (be it in ableton or from a web browser, spotify, etc) there is a very loud white noise click that is output through both the Main (monitor) outs and the headphone out. It's almost like it's happening when the interface is first 'changing modes' or waking up or something.

Any suggestions for how to stop this happening? It occurred on both 1.01 and 1.1.1.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: ES-9 Click when audio first plays

Post by os » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:05 am

Is this on Windows? If so it's been mentioned a few times here. I forget what the resolution was.

DisappearHere
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DisappearHere » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:24 am

Yes, on a Windows machine. Intel NUC - NUC6i7KYK. No graphics card. I searched the forum and could not find anything describing an issue like this other than an incompatibility with a Radeon graphics card (which is not the issue here).
Reverting the firmware doesn't fix it.
If anyone has any ideas as to what to try next I'd be happy to give it a go.

StrangeAttraction
Common Wiggler

Post by StrangeAttraction » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:08 am

Same noise here too, I'm on a mac. It happens when powering up the ES-9. Clickety bleepety boop.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:51 am

Clicks at power up are expected. The Windows thing seems to be every time the system uses the device to play a notification or something.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 pm

DisappearHere wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:31 am
... I find that when I first start playing any audio after a pause of a minute or so (be it in ableton or from a web browser, spotify, etc) there is a very loud white noise click that is output through both the Main (monitor) outs and the headphone out. It's almost like it's happening when the interface is first 'changing modes' or waking up or something.
Did anyone find a fix/workaround for this yet? My brand new ES-9 (1.1.1) is doing this exact thing under Windows 10. I've notified Os - only posting here in case anyone has a quick fix.

:cat2: Cheers

DisappearHere
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DisappearHere » Fri May 22, 2020 11:26 pm

No I haven't found a solution yet.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat May 23, 2020 3:47 am

There's some evidence that the noise bursts are caused when the module's sample rate is changed. So if e.g. Windows is using a different sample rate than your DAW, it will need to change it when playing a system notification.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed May 27, 2020 11:43 am

I would be grateful if someone would try the attached, which aims to reduce the noises when changing sample rates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”