Expert Sleepers ES-8, pops and clicks from CV outs

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

Tinaxe106
Learning to Wiggle

Expert Sleepers ES-8, pops and clicks from CV outs

Post by Tinaxe106 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:54 am

Hi OS,

I have just bought an ES-8 and the CV outs consistently generate pops/clicks (about one every two seconds, but random timing) to my Yamaha UR824 audio interface - exactly the same pops/clicks levels coming from all four ES-8 CV outs. Video below.

I tried different ADAT cables just in case this was the cause but the pops/clicks remain.
I tried disconnecting my internet, but again pops/clicks remain.

I want to use the ES-8 on a stand alone basis, not as an audio interface. Is there any way to stop these pops/clicks please?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-8, pops and clicks from CV outs

Post by os » Sat May 23, 2020 7:21 am

Is the UR824 set to use its internal clock?

Tinaxe106
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tinaxe106 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi OS and many thanks for the quick reply.

If I set the UR824 to its internal clock there are pops/clicks every second or two.

If I set it to ADAT A (the ES-8 connection),there are pops/clicks (and even some squeaks) every 10 seconds or so, on a random basis - i.e. less often but louder/longer bursts each time. In addition every 20 seconds or so the UR824 loses the ADAT A connection and its ADAT A light then flashes on and off while it reconnects.

I have tried disconnecting other modules in my rack and also monitoring the channel 2 output of my Maths into my Mordax Data to see if this is a power supply/voltage issue, but there are no signs of clicks or pops on the oscilloscope so I think this is some sort of ES-8 connectivity/audio interface/driver problem.

Are you familiar with this issue - any particular settings that I should use for the ES-8 and my UR824, any other ideas?

PS: I also have a MOTU828mk3 audio interface that I bought primarily for its DC coupled outputs (prior to deciding to buy the ES-8). Just been testing this having written the message above and no pops/clicks so far, so this seems to be the ES-8 and UR824 not playing nicely together. Will you be updating the ES-8 driver so that it works more smoothly with Yamaha audio interfaces, given their popularity?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun May 24, 2020 4:03 am

If you're connecting via ADAT (no USB) there is no driver involved.

Power-on sequence may come into play here. I would suggest powering on the ES-8 after the interface is up and running, so the ADAT signal is present and stable before the ES-8 boots.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”