Small case with enough power for ES9?

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

asty
Learning to Wiggle

Small case with enough power for ES9?

Post by asty » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:06 pm

I’ve got a noise problem with the ES9 which is making it unusable so looking for the cheapest, guaranteed solution which is to isolate it in its own case. I’m looking for a 32+ HP case with enough power to handle the ES-9 but can’t find anything. Anyone know of such a case? I have an IntelliJel Palette but the damn ES-9 is too deep.

The ES-9 in fine in my empty case, as are several modules placed near it like a Dixie. The problem comes when I connect a Nebulae or SSF Stereo dipole the thing goes crazy with noise, even when those modules are on the far side of the case. Even with those removed enough modules are adding enough noise to make it unusable. This happens in both standalone mode and connected to my DAW. It’s usable at low volumes for noodling, but ruins recordings and I’m not sure what to do.

This is my first Forum post and I’m searched hard for an answer here so apologies if I’ve missed some valuable information on the topic. Another option is to try a better quality case than my Ecowave 3X84 but that’s £500+ and no guarantee either.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Small case with enough power for ES9?

Post by os » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:13 am

The 4ms PodX is deep enough for the ES-9.

flies
Learning to Wiggle

Post by flies » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 am

this may not be a permanent solution, but if the noise only appears when certain modules are hooked up, could you put those offenders in the palette case? (I can imagine that the palette case might not be big enough, but, at least in the meantime while you're looking for a more permanent solution.)
my rig https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/622777 (not shown: VCV rack and MOTO 828 mk2)

asty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by asty » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn’t realise there was a pod x that was deeper and the 5cm depth seems just deep enough (exactly) to get and ES9 in with its power cable. Might consider this in future.

In the mean time I’ve found a few things have helped. Firstly moving the ES9 to a corner away from power and other modules. I’d previously tried this but only with Stereo Dipole and Nebulae still in the case. With those out this positioning is much better. Seconding, I’ve tried getting the headphone output levels at a better level in the configurator. Reducing them to 0dB has helps and still goes loud enough for a good headphone session.

I’ve also discovered my DFAM VCA is much noisier than Mother 32 and that’s not helping either. Would be better on its own output to my Presonus but can’t aggregate soundcard on my PC. I’ll live with that for now.

Thanks for the suggestions and the two noisiest modules are now living an isolated life in the palette.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”