dc cables for silent way resource thread

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

MerkDak
Learning to Wiggle

Noob: a little intimidated by all incompatible cables...

Post by MerkDak » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:03 am

So.

phew. I think I found a cheap compatible audio interface (Motu Microbook II) which will arrive tomorrow. I am about to purchase Silent Way. Now for the cables.

The motu has 1/4" TRS outs, which I want to convert to dual 1/8" TSF, with the inversion. I thought I had it all figured out with this one: https://www.gear4music.nl/nl/Opname-and ... Cable/1JZR

BUT

then I found a Hosa cable which states that it has TRS mono connectors, so now I'm confused.

If I use the cable above to plug the male 1/4" stereo jack into the output of my Microbook and use the to 2 female 3.5mm mono-jacks to patch a cable into my Lil erebus, do I still risk blowing shit up, or should I be safe?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:15 am

A 'TRS mono' connector perhaps means a balanced cable, but it's an odd choice of words.

The cable you linked to looks fine.

Neither
Common Wiggler

Post by Neither » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:05 am

I've decided to make some floating ring cables from some of my extra balanced cables. I'll be cutting one end off and I'm looking for a suitable replacement jack.

Then I started to wonder what does "silent jack mean? E.g. Rean NYS-224-S description says that "tip switched to ground if not inserted (silent)". How does this differ from a basic mono plug?
http://www.rean-connectors.com/en/produ ... gs/nys224s

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:37 am

Those are designed for guitarists, to avoid loud buzzes & pops when the lead is unplugged but still connected to the amplifier. I would avoid them for this purpose. (I imagine they're more expensive too.)

Neither
Common Wiggler

Re: dc cables for silent way resource thread

Post by Neither » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:35 pm

Matos wrote:
So I'm finally making/modifying my first floating ring cables. I've got Thomann's balanced cables. When I open it's TRS connector, the red cable is on the left and blue cable is on the right side. I'm looking at the connector from the same position as shown in the picture above, which shows them the other way around. Isn't red supposed to be RING?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:58 am

There's no standard for colour in TRS cables.

Neither
Common Wiggler

Post by Neither » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:19 am

os wrote:There's no standard for colour in TRS cables.
Ok. I've seen various different looking diagrams about TRS jacks and I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing. Am I correct in thinking that the blue cable in the picture below is ring?

I've got a bunch of other TRS cables (ProCab) in which I can't open the jack. Instead, I'll need to cut the other end off and solder a TS one there. So I guess I'll need get a multi meter to check, which wire is tip (positive?) and which wire is ring (negative?) because there ain't any standard of colour...

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:32 am

You can usually tell which is the tip - it will be the 'most central' part of the metalwork on the back. But in general if you're making or modifying cables, you would want to have a multimeter anyway.

Neither
Common Wiggler

Post by Neither » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:21 pm

Thanks for the help. I managed to make a few cables.
However, I'm curious about the Rean NYS-SSR-8 1/4" Patch Box. There seems to be a version, which is normalled and a version, which isn't normalled. Both have the same model number. For using it with silent way and motu, is either one (normalled vs un-normalled) possibly more optimal? It's hard for me to understand what normalling even means because I haven't ever used a patch bay.

pojo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pojo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi I want a make a floating ring cable too. Just to connect my dc coupled output (N. I. Komplete Audio 6 rmk2) with my eurorack. How to connect the 2 wire with shielded cable to the 3.5 mm mono-Jack and the 6.4 mm trs Jack?
(6.4 mm)TRS only T and S and then the other.... (mono 3.5mm) Well I try this..

Russek
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Russek » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:00 pm

I built some cables to use with a non DC interfase (with recommended capacitor and diode installed), can I use the same cables with a MOTU DC capable interfase?...Thanks in advance!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:41 am

You can, but you'll get better results with a floating ring cable without the diode/cap.

fattyparts
Common Wiggler

Post by fattyparts » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:02 pm

anyone know where i can buy some floating ring cables here in the UK? seem to be sold out everywhere, thinking about getting an insert cable, but don't really like the idea of dealing with adapters. thanks

Return to “Expert Sleepers”