Question about psu wire type

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

Chehands
Learning to Wiggle

Question about psu wire type

Post by Chehands » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:04 pm

Sorry if this seems like a really basic question, but will 16/0.2mm (0.5mm2) wire be ok for the power connections on the oakley psu? The reason i ask is because in the builders guide (which is an amazing and detailed resource) it suggests 22awg or 0.5mm2 wire, which i dont think are the same things. im not trying to be picky, just want to make sure i use the right wire. :confused:

ali_g12
Common Wiggler

Post by ali_g12 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:16 pm

I used 18AWG for the connections between my psu and dizzy board. I believe this is 1.02mm diameter. I also used it for all the power headers for the modules.

It's about the same thickness as the leads for the secondary windings coming off the transformer so I reckon it's about right for power. If it was any fatter and I don't think it would crimp properly in the connectors.

Chehands
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chehands » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks for replying, i actually played it safe and went a bit thicker than the recommended gauge, plenty of spare conductor can't be a bad thing.

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:06 pm

I see you are UK based, so you could try the Rapid extra flexible wire

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Conne ... =Lje8WGTm8

Its rated at 6A and 1KV, also it fits the crimp on compactors I use with the MTAish power connectors with the Dizzy.

But playing it safe, as you have done, is a good idea.

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”