Massive Midlife Modular

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Massive Midlife Modular

Post by fantastic apparatus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Hello. I am starting a 110MU modular, and since the first 24 modules are Oakley's I figured I would document my progress here.
The circuit boards are still on the way, but I have began gathering parts. Here is the raw aluminum for all 51 modules. I went with .1" 6061 aluminum instead of the usual folded moog thinner panels as they would be a pain to print on. I am going to powder coat them all at once so there is no difference in color, even though I might not be screen printing and drilling all of them immediately.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Great idea about having them all done at once. Subbed, should be fun to watch.
15U 168hp Zebrawood case Build Log [FINISHED]: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=134540
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:10 pm

here's my plan. I have 2 3u panels and 4 1u panels for undetermined modules.

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:06 pm

panel artwork
ImageImage

terjewinther
Common Wiggler

Post by terjewinther » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:03 am

That is really cool! I will be watching your progress on this. Good move to have a plan ahead. I just went along from the bottom up, and in hindsight a good plan would have been better. I am rebuilding my modular now because of a lack of plan from the beginning.

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:27 am

Cool looking 5u?

You don't see that every day!

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:34 pm

Going with 2U faceplates for these.

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:51 am

Here is a full size paper layout of stage one of this build. 26 of the eventual 51 modules. All Oakley except the master out and utility module that I will be designing and etching myself.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:17 pm

Good luck. Looks like a big project but a great one..

jford
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jford » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:02 pm

Based on the handful of modules I've made so far, you're going to be soldering for quite a while! Good luck, looking forward to progress reports. What are the four sequencers going to be?

pjay
Common Wiggler

Post by pjay » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:04 pm

love the panel artwork!

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:33 am

Thank you for the kind words. There is pretty much a constant plume of rosin fumes escaping my house but I almost exclusively self etch, true PTP, or eyelet/turret PTP my projects. So, these masked, screened and (most importantly) proven functional boards will be a dream to work on.
I haven't made my final decisions on the sequencers. I have plenty of real estate to work with, having four 8MU panels set aside so I should be able to sneak in some of the features normally delegated to add on modules such as quantizing and output expansions and save on taking up more spaces. At least one 4x8 and at least one with the circular design ala MFOS, because they look so cool. I found some clear shaft pots designed to pipe LED light through to a clear knob and I definitely want to incorporate that into one of them, as the moving step indication. More and more I'm thinking one of the four will actually be a normalized "toolbox" of clock dividers and logic units. I will likely be etching the boards for the rest of the modules except the vocoder.

This panel might be my favorite, and it was really blurry in the group photo:
I just upgraded my powder coating gun and the gloss white powder arrived, so I hopefully will have the panels coated this weekend. Then I just have to give all the panel art a good stare down before I print the films and screen print them.

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:22 pm

I powdercoated the panels over the weekend, and finalized all the panel artwork changing to a greyscale LPI I could actually print. All the films are made and I have begun printing the panels.
First batch of boards has arrived and was packaged impeccably, thank you Tony!

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Looks like an impressive project! But I think you are going to need a LOT more VCAs, mixers, and utility modules (inverter, level shift, etc.). Especially the VCAs.

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:47 pm

Two dedicated quad VCA's planned for the center cabinet in addition to the built in ones in the 6 eventual ADSR's and the VCO controller. I left some blank spaces though. Definitely adding an envelope follower, so still have nine empties in the main modular stack. I'll be interfacing with a moog voyager so I can add some utility modules to the desktop unit that will house the voyager's dsub cv outs.

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:13 pm

So... I'm moving the dedicated noise module in the third tier to the random sequence "toolbox" and replacing the two 1MU quad VCA modules with with this 3MU 16 VCA module. I had an extra 2MU panel already powdercoated, so now I'll have one 3U, one 2U, and five 1U panels for my undesignated slots.

First row panels except the VCA controller (there was some blowout in the stencil, so I'm re-burning it on the next screen)Image

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:42 pm

ImageImageImage

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Fri May 08, 2015 2:53 am

Got some arcade game buttons coming for triggers on the ADSR's

Have one 3MU one 2MU and four 1MU panels left and I am open for suggestions. unless someone wants to convince me I need more than 1MU for an envelope follower.

I have a self modified fulltone tube tape echo, several pt2399 based diy delays and a lexicon pcm 92. Am I crazy for wanting a 3MU bucket brigade delay with the biggest knob I can find? What should I use that unspecified 3MU panel for otherwise?

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Fri May 08, 2015 7:25 am

Super cool design skillz!
You work as a graphic designer?
..the vessel was heavier because “dead sheep do not have the same weight as the live ones”

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Fri May 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks. I bartend, fix guitar amps, and occasionally build custom pro audio gear. My wife is a graphic designer though, so we have all the software/hardware. Usually I have a paper with all the drill hole locations that she transfers to AI and makes look good, this time there were so many I didn't want to bother her with designing them all, so I just had her hold my hand through all the quirks of illustrator (I was already quasi-familiar with photoshop) and did them myself.

drip.feed
Roll it off at 30 Hz

Post by drip.feed » Fri May 08, 2015 4:28 pm

I love stuff like this. Absolutely inspiring.

How do you prep the raw panels before powder coating? Do scratches and blemishes show through?

What kind of ink do you use for screen printing? Do you have to seal the finished panels somehow?
Dripfeed

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Sat May 09, 2015 2:48 am

For these, I hit them with some 300grit sandpaper on a random orbital handheld unit, then wiped with some acetone. It is pretty forgiving as long as the scratches are not too deep, especially with a matte finish. I usually use par metal chassis and their aluminum faceplates have a brushed finish and all I do is wipe them down for prep and I still can get mirror gloss finishes in one step. I'm usually much more careful when stuff is not for me. I did this in a dusty garage not my basement so these have the occasional eyelash and sawdust particle baked into the finish.
I use nazdar 59000 series solvent based enamel inks. They are a bitch to work with, but they are great if everything goes according to plan. Super glossy and slightly 3D on the panel like a quality business card and basically indestructible once dry. If i am printing on anodized aluminum I can wipe the panel with a solvent if I have a misprint and try again, this particular white powdercoat has been reacting to the solvent so I have been letting missprints dry and sanding through the ink (so yes it is really resilient I would not want to have to hand sand the ink off and any casual encounters would never rub the ink off) and a bit of the powder coat then adding another layer of powdercoat before reprinting. For me, reclaiming the screen after I use this ink is not worth it lots of solvent and labor, so each screen is only used for one printing session, and I save the frames to be rescreened eventually.
The upside is no sealing is needed or clearcoat if you like shiny things. There are plenty of matte or gloss choices in powder and if you don't want the nazdar to be as glossy you can knock it down with steel wool or sandpaper when it's dry.

fantastic apparatus
Common Wiggler

Post by fantastic apparatus » Sat May 09, 2015 3:14 am

super high tech manufacturing.ImageImageImageImage
grounding the panels via an old clothes rack.
i'm using an 18" IR panel on a diy roller stand that i had for curing tshirt ink to cure the powder.

drip.feed
Roll it off at 30 Hz

Post by drip.feed » Sun May 10, 2015 7:32 pm

It almost sounds like you know what you're doing. Watching this thread fo sho. :hail:
Dripfeed

drip.feed
Roll it off at 30 Hz

Post by drip.feed » Sun May 10, 2015 7:34 pm

Forgot to ask: so there's no problem drilling through powder coating? It doesn't crack up and flake off when the drill bit bites?
Dripfeed

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”